Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Rockshox Reverb post questions.
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

OK, come into some unexpected cash (birthday) and am looking at one of these posts. Thing is, i’m only short and my seatpost is only extended 120mm from the seattube collar to the bottom of the clamp.
    Will a reverb offer me enough drop to be worth bothering with?

Also, seen someone mention them going for £195, where?

craigxxl
    Free Member

You’ll need 190mm of exposed seat post from top of seat tube to saddle rails for the Reverb.
    It was a German retailer that was doing them for £195 but I can’t remember which.

toys19
    Free Member

I am confused as to why you need 190mm? Surely you can just never run the post at full height?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I’ve never had a seat dropper so i don’t know how they work etc. I was hoping the saddle could be set at 120mm as the top height.

craigxxl
    Free Member

With the Reverb fully inserted you still have 190mm of exposed seatpost. Not sure what the implications are at running permanently at reduced height. Returning the saddle to your preferred maximum height will be awkward though and not as easy as pressing the lever once to reach it.

toys19
    Free Member

Returning the saddle to your preferred maximum height will be awkward though and not as easy as pressing the lever once to reach it.

Really? I’ve never had a uppy downy so this is pure conjecture, but I thought I could just stand up and press the button and the saddle will stop when it reaches my arse?
    Then maybe press again and weight it with my arse to lower it a bit to get it right, sounds ok to me?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Hmm, sounds like a bit of a faff TBH. if i need 190mm to have it running properly i may as well not bother 🙁

ruscle
    Free Member

If you do bother to get 1, and they are great it was Hibike from Germany where they are £195 delivered. It won’t be to much bother setting at rite highroad as you will just release the button when it feels comfy.

toys19
    Free Member

Hmm, sounds like a bit of a faff TBH. if i need 190mm to have it running properly i may as well not bother

I think this is a red herring muuddydwarf, I’m getting one and I am as dwarvish as you. As ruscle says you just release the button when its comfy.

roddi18
    Free Member

It’s not a red herring at all.
    ‘Squatting’ on the bike in the position you think is where your saddle should be for the best pedal efficiancy and raising the post to only that level will be a pain in the arse and you will never get the saddle to the same position. You will probably soend more time faffing about trying to get this correct that it would take to just open your seat clamp and raise your saddle that way.

Why not look at a gravity dropper? They do shorter travel adjustable posts and generally always get good reviews

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Will do, ta.

ruscle
    Free Member

Also they are releasing a shorter reverb for 2012

Trimix
    Free Member

roddi18 is correct. Dont end up faffing, it will spoil the whole thing.

However, bear in mind that some riders need a large drop. In the Alps recently my mate found his dropper didnt get far down enough for him when doing some of the more DH runs. My Reverb did.

toys19
    Free Member

‘Squatting’ on the bike in the position you think is where your saddle should be for the best pedal efficiancy and raising the post to only that level will be a pain in the arse and you will never get the saddle to the same position. You will probably soend more time faffing about trying to get this correct that it would take to just open your seat clamp and raise your saddle that way.

If you raise and lower your saddle, as I do currently with a qr, then you have exactly the same problem, I never get it back to the same level, and often have to stop and raise and lower the bloody thing until it is right.. In fact you can tell by feel if its wrong, which is what I’ll be doing with my reverb..

roddi18
    Free Member

Why not just mark you seatpost? That’s what i do on my bikes that don’t have dropper posts.
    Do want you want, your money, doesn’t make logical sense though imo

jim
    Free Member

Tie a bit of string from the top tube to the saddle rails?

8)

GW
    Free Member

Why are you riding a frame too big for you?

toys19
    Free Member

gw – I dunno if thats aimed at me or the op but for me, I’m on the smallest frame I can buy. I don’t see how you can use esp to work out what size frame anyone is on though..

ruscle
    Free Member

I actually think the string idea is a winner in this instance.

toys19
    Free Member

I personally think tis a fuss about nuffin! I’ll report back what it’s like when my reverb turns up! As I have more money than sense , if it don’t work, I won’t mind and you will all be the first to know.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

GW – i’m riding a small size (15.5″) Marin Wolf Ridge 140. The frame is perfect in every sense apart from standover height due to me extremely short legs – 28″ inside leg to be precise. I have a long torso for my height and find that XS frames, and WSD frames are simply too short in the top tube to be rideable. I’m prepared to put up with the lack of standover in order to have the optimal top tube length which i reckon is more important. I have 120mm of seatpost extended, from top of seat tube to the bottom of the clamp, i.e. 120mm of useable ‘drop’.

GW
    Free Member

what’s your optimal top tube length?

kenl
    Free Member

Muddydwarf – I’m in a similar situation. I’m 5’6″ and I’m riding a medium Blur. I have a gravity dropper at the moment with a 3″ drop. With that seatpost all the way inserted, it’s just the right height at full extension. But when I drop it, it doesnt go low enough, I wish I could get another inch of drop. So I’m thinking of getting the reverb for the same reason – full inserted, when the saddle is in its lowest position, it will be lower than the gravity dropper and at it’s top position, it will be too high for me, but I’ll use the extend saddle till it hits my arse technique! And hopefully next year, Rockshox will release some internal thing to reduce the extension ofthe post.

GW
    Free Member

120mm of seatpost extension for full pedalling extension must give pretty much no top-tube clearance?, look for frames with 14″ seat-tubes but long enough top tubes, they do exist.
    also, with legs as short as yours 165 cranks would be a better choice anyway and (assuming you have 175s like 99% of mtbers) would allow you to raise your post a further 10mm

Can’t really see ‘Rock Shox bothering to design anything for people with too long a seattube myself.

DT78
    Free Member

My advice, pay a little extra and buy from the uk. A number (including mine) have been back under warrenty within a couple of months use….

toys19
    Free Member

My reverb arrived finally and I spent today on exmoor and I can confirm that it is easy to use and easy to set the height with the handlebar remote. By pressing the remote and allowing it to contact my arse, then setting the height with my arse is super easy and no faff. The reverb remote has a speed setting to slow down how fast it returns, so with it on a reasonably slow setting it is easy to catch it in the right place, and if its out you just hold the remote button in and adjust up or down with your bum. Simples. Very happy.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox Reverb post questions.’ is closed to new replies.