Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Rockshox Maxle & Thule 561, does this work?
  • AndyDuke
    Free Member

After frequently visiting this lovely forum for a number of months I'm finally making my first post, wooo!:

Bike rack/carrier problems here; I have a Skoda Fabia VRS, for those not in the know this means I can't have a towbar fitted (as this model of car was never approved for towing) nor can I have a hatch mounted rear rack due to the spoiler. I do however have roof bars and have been looking at bike carriers.

I have two bikes, 06 Kona Kula for which I already have a bike carrier (cheapo halfords offering that seems to work ok), I also have an 08 trek remedy, here in lies the problem. I need a bike carrier to suit, I've had a go with a thule proride 591 but am not convinced that it secures the bike enough due to it's size.

I really like the look of the thule outride 561 (fork mount jobby):

Link

However on this website I noticed that it says compatable with all 20mm bolt thru's expect Rockshox Maxles, bums! I have however heard rumours of people using the thule 561 with maxles with not problem, are there any on here that can comment on success/failure of the above combo.

Also willing to hear of good/bad stories regarding other Remedy riders (or other similar sized bikes) using thule 591's and their results.

And before it's mentioned; no, I dont want to settle for putting the bike in the car as I need the space inside the car for people/stuff.

any other suggestions?

Andy

fbk
    Free Member

I use mine with a Maxle-lite ('09 revelations). I hed a file a bit off the alloy tube the axle slides into to get the forks to fit over it properly but only a bit and it all works fine now).

Alternatively, Pendle to a similar design of rack which I now use on my bike with a 15mm through axle. Much better quality than the Thule one but a bit more fiddly to mount on the roof bars (no QR clamps – takes longer but feels a lot more secure). Out of choice I'd go with the Pendle.

AndyDuke
    Free Member

Ah good stuff, dont like the idea of taking a file to a new purchase so think I'll persue the pendle rack. Do they have website? I've never heard of them, is the carrier in question sold as compatible with the Maxle?

fbk
    Free Member

http://www.pendle-bike.co.uk/shopping/Fork-Mounted-Roof-Rack-supplied-with-20mm-Adaptor.php

That's the site and page you want. Give them a ring/email and I'm sure they'll be able to sort you out. Someone from there does pop on here occasionally too.

Edit – by the way, the P&P fees are pretty huge buying direct. I got mine through my LBS so just paid RRP 🙂

jumping_flea
    Free Member

I'm currently using an combo of 2 561's and 2 591's on top of my car.
    I also have a Remedy (xl in size) and have had no probs mounting the bike to either carrier.

The one problem is by turning the quick release fork mount into a 20mm mount you lose the locking facility, so buy a seperate lock if going down this route.
    The second prob is that it isn't quick to swap the 20mm mount back after it is changed. CRC do one of these –

Fork up

but no idea if it is any good.
    Also not tried the Pendle carrier, so I can't comment on it.

markenduro
    Free Member

Vrs here too, mostly ride from home but when have to travel I take the bike to bits and bung it inside an old quilt cover to help keep the stupid interior clean. When I ned to move more than 1 bike I have a couple of roof mounted thule591 racks which are fine.

AndyDuke
    Free Member

ah cheers for all the help. Seems like the thule 591 is the way to go then. I take it that it can cope with the wide tubes on the remedy…

fbk
    Free Member

591 is a good rack – I've had one for a while. Just be sure to do it up nice and tight and make sure the Downtube is sitting right in the centre of the V on the clamp – I've had my DH bike pop out of the clamp and smack the roof in the past – probably my fault but still concerning. Also, I don't like the way the 591 sways around a lot in a cross wind (having just the 1 arm supporting the bike). I'm sure it's perfectly safe but it scares me all the same – it's one of the main reasons I prefer my 561/Pendle racks.
    As for fitting the bike, it will cope with pretty huge downtubes fine. The only problem comes if you've got a complicated downtube/seatube/BB area – it won't grab my E-120 as there's no free bit of downtube low enough!

HTH 🙂

Ponch
    Free Member

I have a Maxle and a 561 – same problems. I've just bought the fork up, hoping that does the trick.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox Maxle & Thule 561, does this work?’ is closed to new replies.