Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Rockshox forks & Halfords
  • mtb_matt
    Free Member

I bought a Boardman MTB Pro bike from Halfords about 3 months ago. After about three rides I noticed the lockout had stopped working.

See thread.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/rockshox-reba-lock-out-problem

I took it back to Halfords for repair and six week inspection. They said that the forks needed to go to Fishers for repair and that they would send them the next day after booking them in. I was doing a ride that evening so I picked the bike up and said I would bring it in the next day.

I removed the forks off the bike and took them in the next day to be told that they weren't going to Fishers because the area manager wanted to deal with Rockshox directly due to the large number they had problems with and they couldn't give me a date.

Not good enough I said and asked for a replacement set. The mechanic said no so I told him to speak to the area manager. 5 mins later I was told they would go back to Fishers that day and they'd be back in a couple of days.

I phoned a couple of days later to be told that they'd hadn't gone back to Fisher's yet due to UPS having a backlog due to the adverse weather. I was promised they would go back the next day and that I'd have them by the end of the week.

I picked them up today. When in the store I noticed a bit of the decal was missing. I didn't remember there being any decal missing when I sent them off but I thought maybe I had done it. When I got home had a closer inspection and realised they'd removed the helicopter tape I'd used to protect the forks and that the decal probably got damaged when they took the tape off. I have no idea why they did this.

When I put the forks back in the bike and tried the lock out it still didn't work.

I'm livid with Halfords and I am going to ask for a brand new set of forks. I feel that I've been pretty fair with Halfords so far, I could have just ask for new forks from the outset. I guess I'm just venting my spleen but what would you do in this situation?

Cheers

Spud

Take the whole bike back, create a scene and demand a new one or my money back.

stompy

Lock the doors and torch the place….. it'll be no great loss 😈

Hairychested
    Free Member

The item not fit for purpose. Money back or having to deal with Fair Trading people, that should be their choice IMO.

Jamie
    Free Member

When I got home had a closer inspection and realised they'd removed the helicopter tape I'd used to protect the forks and that the decal probably got damaged when they took the tape off.

I did that myself the other day with my pikes. Gutted.

Brother_Will
    Free Member

No your quite right to be annoyed. Id recommend writing a letter addressed to head office. Halfords managers live in fear of having black marks against them and will bend over backwards to resolve any letters as they all go through a senior manager.

mudsux
    Free Member

Not so sure where you stand. Would have thought it depended on how long you'd owned the bike. You say you'd done 3 rides on it so sounds like it was OK for those rides. And you only took it up with them on the 6 week inspection.
    And if the fork had been sent to Fisher's for repair – then what has it to do with Halfords?

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Your assuming it went to fishers, ill be honest id trust there warranty people over halfords any day. Doesn't ring true to me that the lock out still wouldn't be working.

stanfree
    Free Member

Dont know how much luck you will have by complaining ?. I bought a GT aggressor xcr 1 and after a few rides whilst turning a corner the handlebars turned but bike didn't causing me to fall off and stave my hand. After two letters of complaint I was issued with a half hearted appology from some poor young assistant and £20 credit.
    Not wishing to hijack your thread and being a kinda newbie my Marzocchi 44 tst forks feel really spongy when on lockout do I set preload to + or –
    …. 😕

ratadog

I agree with Brother_Will. I had a warranty problem on a Tora fork 18 months after purchase – leaking oil seal. Fishers wouldn't take it back direct, it had to go through vendor, but it was back from Fishers in less than a week with full repair.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Spud – Member

Take the whole bike back, create a scene and demand a new one or my money back.

Save the scene for if they won't co operate. google Sale of goods act and check the guidance on it so you are armed.

Its absolute – something not fit for purpose then you can have your money back. Its the law

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox forks & Halfords’ is closed to new replies.