Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Roadies that ride/rode MTB
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Seems to show IME. Descending in the pouring rain at break neck speed (just in case there’s someone behind towing a trailer :wink:) two up with a mate. I said you can tell the mountainbikers, just look over your shoulder.
    Seems to show at the races as well, I even have an alliance with a roadie where I tow him round the bends and he does the climbs, which suits me.
    I also use the bends and descents on courses to keep me in contention on the pointy up stuff.
    And the rain. I wonder if it’s from riding loose stuff. Shame my local crits are often called off in bad weather.

crazy-legs

You’re right – I’m pretty crap descending at the best of times but at my road race last week I was astonished to find out that, compared to a lot of others, I was pretty damn good!

I worked out a strategy of nailing it on the descents, gaining 40-50m then just riding tempo on the climbs and slotting back into the bunch as they all hammered up the climb.

There were guys hauling on the brakes all the way down some of the hills, don’t think anyone worked out that you can actually just let the bike go, lean it through the bend and get some free speed up the first bit of the hill.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I thought this was going to say roadie’s on an MTB completely suck! 😉 No skill or knowledge .. riding a road bike is so easy ….. 😉

grum
    Free Member

When I did a sportive on my road bike I was obviously rubbish on the flat/climbs but I passed loads and loads of people on a steep/bendy descent (Trough of Bowland).

oldgit
    Free Member

No Munqe-chick, pretty sure it’s from descending with gay abandon on the MTB.
    Just today a roadie from another club commented on it, though I’m not sure if he was impressed or thought we were just plain stupid.
    You don’t see many roadies getting a Campag Super Record equiped Pinarello Paris airborne over a canal bridge unless they’re an MTB’er as well. It looked cool, think it shocked a few though…I better have a word 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

but I passed loads and loads of people on a steep/bendy descent (Trough of Bowland).

gravity works better on a larger body

oldgit
    Free Member

Very good point 😳

MrSmith
    Free Member

Roadies that ride/rode MTB

you mean cyclists?

grum
    Free Member

My road bike isn’t particularly big and heavy…? 😕
    👿

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’m a bmx’er who rides cyclocross…not too much crossover,or a singlespeeder who rides crit…no crossover at all!
    Jack of all…master of none,thats me.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m not so convinced. You might be descending faster than other low level guys, but then in general low level road bike riders are rubbish at descending. Descending on a MTB is totally different to descending on a road bike – I was always very fast downhill on the road (sometimes got gaps in road races), but took ages to get anywhere near fast off road – still a bit of a mincer.

damo2576
    Free Member

Descending you seem to get slower as you get older – more sensible and more fearful. For me at least…

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Oh come on MrSmith .. don’t tell me that! It’s rubbish no such thing as a cyclist …. roadie, MTBer, BMXer ……. commuter …. sorry!

Sue_W
    Free Member

Strangely I’m an absolute mincer when it comes to descents off-road, but absolutely love the brakes-off moments descending on my road bike. It’s odd cos rationally I know that given the speed I’m doing it will probably hurt more if I came off on a road descent, but I don’t seem to get ‘the fear’ in the same way as I do on my mountain bike.

Road riding’s fab 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Sorry Sue_ W … MTBing is fab, road riding bores me senseless! which is good having different likes as it means the trails aren’t as crammed 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Roadies that ride/rode MTB’ is closed to new replies.