Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Roadie cassette rattle
  • MountainMutant
    Free Member

Have had an annoying rattle on the roadie for a while now and have tracked it down to the ultegra cassette.

It’s seated on a mavic free hub.

The highest 3 gears/chainrings seem to have a bit of play in them. Not side to side but forward and back. There is probably about 3-4mm of movement.

That’s not normal is it!? I’ve tried taking it off (no sign of wear to the free hub and correct mavic spacer used) and reseating. It was quiet for about 5 miles but is back to rattling away again.

Is the cassette knackered? Is that what they do? Have recently replaced chain ( second chain on original cassette) and changes gear perfectly with no skipping under load etc. Very annoying if I have to change it for that.

MM

cyclistm
    Free Member

10 speed cassette? If so you Need an extra spacer between cassette and hub as the 10speed is slightly narrower than 9 speed

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Yes 10 speed but I’m running the spacer. Has just started rattling over the last couple of weeks.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Odd then. Some Mavic hub will need 2 spacers! One that comes with the wheel and the one that ones with a cassette.

If its been fine before its more likely a problem with the free hub body or hub itself than the cassette.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Does the free hub body have play when the cassette is removed?

MountainMutant
    Free Member

No, no play.

It’s only the highest 3 gears which are on a carrier that move/have play in them

Sum
    Free Member

I guess the lockring is on nice and tight? I once had play in a XTR cassette aluminium carrier due to it wearing gradually over a long time but we’re talking several chain changes here.

scaredypants

Can only imagine that the rivets (or whatever) on the carrier have loosened (can’t believe you’ve dug several mm into the freehub

I’d take the cassette apart & have a look

MountainMutant
    Free Member

I will try the cassette on the Sunday best carbon rims and see if it does the same on them. They are mavic too so should highlight the problem.

Just wondered if this was a common thing.

As I said the movement is not side to side like a spacer is missing. It’s front to back.

scaredypants

hang on – highest, as in smallest sprockets ?
    are you sure they’re on a carrier ?

(it’s not the chain skipping by any chance – new powerlink not fitting right or maybe cassette very worn ? but I doubt it)

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Sorry meant lowest (3 biggest rings on sprocket).

Chain is not skipping. Runs perfectly but rattles like mad on any rough surface…which is most of London

dirtyrider
    Free Member

play in the cassette rivets, first 3 are pinned together on shimano

scaredypants

you on the big ring at the front ?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Roadie cassette rattle’ is closed to new replies.