Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • road wheelset recommendations – £2-300
  • brakes
    Free Member

I’m looking for a replacement wheelset for my road bike
    not looking to spend too much, about £2-300
    will be used sometimes for commuting duties and then on weekend blasts around the countryside, so not something that’s going to implode if it goes within 200 yards of a 1mm deep pothole

Kevevs
    Free Member

handbuilt Mavic open pro rims on Ultegra hubs seems to be the standard.

Teetosugars
    Free Member
    paulosoxo
    Free Member

as above but on hope hubs for me, bought them as Hope Hoops from Eighteen bikes, been flawless in the 12 to 18 months I’ve had them.

Planet X’s own wheels seem popular too

brakes
    Free Member

thanks Teeto, but out of stock, was looking to order this week

ads-b
    Free Member

Was going to say these (as last year went through the same decision):
    Easton EA50 SL

But having seen the Fulcrum 3s, get those!

Edit: Actually, just noticed they are the 2010 models. Only 38g lighter and £35 more. Also the Eastons are in stock. Great wheels too. Very, very stiff, and incredibly high spoke tension.

brakes
    Free Member

hmmm, saw those Eastons, like the look of them and seem to get good reviews, value for money
    thanks

cynic-al
    Free Member

Check davidtaylforth’s thread.

brakes
    Free Member

thanks al

brakes
    Free Member

anyone else got any ideas?

Jase
    Free Member

A large grouptest of wheels in Cycling + this month. Some slightly over budget but I’d imagine you could find them online within your budget. Worth a look.

RickyRah
    Free Member

I’m seriously tempted by the Shimano 6700 Utelgra wheelset at merlin.

ads-b
    Free Member

The Eastons i bought were actually a replacment for the Ultegras. No issues with them for about 4 years. Then noticd the rim had a crack at the spoke hole in the rim. Was trying to pull through.

Not a bad wheel, but as a direct comparison (i still use the ultegras in the winter-with the crack), the eatson is twice as good.

cynic-al
    Free Member

brakes – Member
    anyone else got any ideas?

Stans Alpine on 105 and revolution, should come out about 1560gm and cost about £170+42+62 = £274+labour?

Dunno how good that is in weight/£ terms – but you’re saving a lot of weight at the rim which is where it will be felt the most.

brakes
    Free Member

my current wheels are Shimano £150 jobbies which are over 2 years old and have been used for commuting 50 miles a week plus another 50 miles once a month, so they’ve done about 6,000 miles – the spokes keep loosening and the wheels feel a bit flexy which is why I’ve decided to replace rather than rebuild (bit paranoid about them folding).
    I’d be tempted by the Ultegra as I’ve been happy with the Shimano wheels, but have always had some misgivings (perhaps misguided) about cup and cone bearings and maintenance.
    I’ll have a look in cycling weekly – see what they have to say.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Aksiums are worth a look for a cheaper alternative.

Jase
    Free Member

Cycling Plus 🙂

brakes
    Free Member

good point! 🙂

brakes
    Free Member

cycling plus bought (I couldn’t flick through as it had a plastic cover on), featured wheels are top end of my budget but might be able to get for less elsewhere I suppose.
    it may give me an idea of how the different manufacturers are rated.

brakes
    Free Member

after not being able to find any Hope Pro3/ Mavic Open Pro wheels in stock anywhere and needing some by the weekend, I ordered some Mavic Ksyrium Equipe wheels from everybody’s favourite, CRC – happy days! 😀

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘road wheelset recommendations – £2-300’ is closed to new replies.