Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)
  • Road sportives; should we ban them?
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Following this topic: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/oi-gelboy

It sounds like they’ve now become an event where hundreds of lycra clad nobheads meet up to ride round the countryside dropping litter everywhere.

And then there’s the varying standards of riding on display…..

km79
    Free Member

Yes we should. Nothing but a nuisance which holds up legitimate road users everywhere.

fasthaggis

Don’t poke them all with that shitty stick.#davidthejudgetaylforth.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Yes ! No !

thecaptain
    Free Member

Down with this sort of thing.

akira

Thankfully car drivers never litter, movers never leave rubbish on the trail and people walking always take their trash with them. Oh wait.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’m not in favour of banning anything, but if I was, organising races on public roads would be on the list.

So, no.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Above all we must use our collective power to ban mass participation events wisely.

With great power comes great responsibility.

pictonroad

troll too far.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Not in my back yard!

mtbfix

Don’t ban the events but do ban anyone from entering them if they refer to it as ‘a race’. Double ban if this ‘race’ term is used in the context of “can you fix my bike by tomorrow, I have a race to do”.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I bet they don’t even pay road tax

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

No, not a troll post. I personally don’t care for them; prefer cycling on my own for free.

Don’t ban the events but do ban anyone from entering them if they refer to it as ‘a race’.

Probably that. Get rid of the timing, then it’d be much more laid back and people might stop to put their rubbish in bins.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Agree with the timing thing. It’s idiotic.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Maybe set a minimum time limit with checks along the way. Anyone who is going to quickly has to stop and wait for a time gate to open.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

If people enjoy them, then let them happen.

You should be banned from competing in them for a year if you get seen littering, tho.

ninfan
    Free Member

It’s fair to say that on the Local Access Forum there has been some ‘in depth’ discussion of sportive so for some time, including some fairly extensive feedback from councillors, parish councils, etc.

The level of vitriol, angst and anger that ‘sportives’ cause amongst certain sectors of the community is absolutely remarkable, however when you actually question what that are talking about, it rapidly becomes clear that they are very rarely talking about actual sportive events, and the vast majority of the time they are referring to club runs, they just don’t know the difference.

I think it’s a valid concern however that many are run, or at least seen by some of the participants as, quasi-races (which would need authorisation by the police) and that they live in a legislative lacuna whereby events are almost entirely unregulated.

igm

Riding one on Sunday.

I shall fuel on a large bag of jelly babies though not gels – unless my legs really give up in which case I might have a sly one.

mrblobby
    Free Member

and the vast majority of the time they are referring to club runs, they just don’t know the difference

So what is the difference? (Larger numbers, poorer riding standards, more littering, less invasion of local facilities?) And from a “locals” point of view, how would the experience differ?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

mrblobby – Member
    Maybe set a minimum time limit with checks along the way. Anyone who is going to quickly has to stop and wait for a time gate to open.

🙂 I like it. You’d still inevitably get a braying mob at the gates; pushing their way to the front to get through first though…..

legend
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member

I personally don’t care for them; prefer cycling on my own for free

Everyone on STW rides on their own you know……. other than when they’re riding with people…… which is all the time.

Can we just re-name them mini-audaxs to keep everyone happy?

steve_b77
    Free Member

How’s about banning mountain biking cos some people who do it ride on foot paths

legend
    Free Member

Are they leaving their bikes behind for others to clean up?

njee20
    Free Member

but if I was, organising races on public roads would be on the list

Olympic road race? Tour de France? Tour of Britain? Is this a blanket ban?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

only if we can ban cyclocross too

oldtalent
    Free Member

Yes. especially them utter b@llends who think racing up & down the a3 is a good idea. Is that a sportive? I dont know, but I want it banned.

legend
    Free Member

but we’re all ok with gravel racing, yeah?

Edric64
    Free Member

Just ride Audax ,time limits, smaller entry fees and much smaller fields .Most sportives have far to many entrants

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I think the thread is 50/50 split between those who know the OP is mildly trolling, and people taking this shit seriously.

ninfan
    Free Member

So what is the difference?

I think that the key difference is that with a sportive its ‘been and gone’ in a morning like a plague of locusts that descend and then move on (even with the most concentrated spots it’s a fairly limited number of times a year) whereby with club runs there are areas where its pretty relentless pressure all day sat & sun & summer weekday evenings.

scandal42
    Free Member

No, not a troll post. I personally don’t care for them; prefer cycling on my own for free.

Good for you champ

legend
    Free Member

bongohoohaa – Member

I think the thread s 50/50 split between those who know the OP is mildly trolling, and people taking this shit seriously.

Sportives are serious races though

ninfan
    Free Member

True dat, if you win one finish in the first 100 [edit, see below] then it gives you bragging rights at the tri-club for at least the next month.

ferrals
    Free Member

Just ban Rapha surely? Best ban the Kask team sky painted helmets too, just to be on the safe side.

Normality would be resumed 😆

ninfan – Member

True dat, if you win one …

How do you win? Is it like the diving/gymnastics when you get points for various attibutes of your ride: obnoxious behaviour, loudmouth boasting, innapropriately expensive gadgets and flair of your gel wrapper throw?

DavidB
    Free Member

Tardy Half Divot

FOG

Oh dear, I was just about to enter a sportive , run in aid of the community shop in a mate’s village. Obviously I won’t now.

onehundredthidiot

We’re organising one mid September. £15 entry limited numbers, organised feed stops, and a pint and cottage pie at the end.
    We’ll raise some money for the charity and folk will have fun. No timing and warnings about traffic and littering emphasised at start.

unklehomered
    Free Member

YES. Ban them all…

Buuuuuut. Still do them.

The ensuing police chase will motivate riders for faster times.

mikey3
    Free Member

I’d just ban the people wearing military watches if they still have no ninja skillz whatsoever,they are making undercover sas killers look silly,ban them.

Kahurangi

there are areas where its pretty relentless pressure

How dare people travel on their bikes and enjoy the countryside. How dare they.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Road sportives; should we ban them?’ is closed to new replies.