Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Road rats and pompinos
  • geoffj

Heavy road(ish) bikes for vain MTBers who can't bear the stigma of riding a proper road bike?

dobo
    Free Member

oh boy are you gona get a telling…

cynic-al
    Free Member

Heavy? Not for the money. Don't think there are many similar frames out there – esp the pompino.

But yeah I use proper road frames instead 😛

BadlyWiredDog

Forums? Lame places for bored, trolling folk who ought to be out on a bike? Any bike. Because they're all just bikes.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Already pwned a trail centre in overbiked fashion BWD!

geoffj

BWD – done 25 miles on the CX this morning, which sorta prompted the question.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Yes.
    heavy hybrids for those whose paunch gets in the way so they can't use drops.
    and whose dyed in the wool mtb sensibilities prevent them from using a proper road bike to ride on the road, because it's 'commuting' so the roads are different from those used by road riders.

edit: i forgot to add those bikes are ugly as sin too.

BadlyWiredDog

I'm not here, I'm out on my bike 🙂

BadlyWiredDog

BWD – done 25 miles on the CX this morning, which sorta prompted the question.

How did that prompt the question? It just seems sad that anyone feels the need to rag someone else's choice of bike. Isn't it just good that people ride bikes, different bikes, any bike? I don't see why riding a road bike would impact on someone's vanity. Or why it matters that a Road Rat is a bit heavier than a pukka road bike. Or how anyone feels they have a god-given right to judge others? One of the things I like about riding bikes is that it's an escape from the petty prejudices and judgemental, consumerist one-upmanship of the stupid world we've built. It kind of irks me that people want to drag this crap into cycling as well.

BadlyWiredDog

And while we're playing – cross bikes? Not as good as a road bike on the road. Not as good as a mountain bike off road. Ridden by people who are simply desperate to buy yet another bike because they're more interested in owning things than riding 🙄

geoffj

One of the things I like about riding bikes is that it's an escape from the petty prejudices and judgemental, consumerist one-upmanship of the stupid world we've built. It kind of irks me that people want to drag this crap into cycling as well.

Oh the irony! 😆

mocha
    Free Member

Ridden by people who are simply desperate to buy yet another bike because they're more interested in owning things than riding

cheers 👿

richcc
    Free Member

at last someone acknowleges the stigma involved in riding a road bike…

sheldona
    Free Member

Does that mean I'm odd then as I have a Roadrat, 2 proper roadbikes and a cx in the shed next to a number of mtb's?

drofluf
    Free Member

I'm undecided. That's why I ride a road bike with a Roadrat fork.

I'm hoping that it will grow up into a full Roadrat. 😀

miketually
    Free Member

Does that mean I'm odd then as I have a Roadrat, 2 proper roadbikes and a cx in the shed next to a number of mtb's?

That's not why you're odd.

sheldona
    Free Member

That's true Mike!

BadlyWiredDog

Oh the irony!

Yes. It was quite deliberate. I was attempting to illustrate how you can pretty much argue anything if you feel like it, so why bother in the first place 🙄

BadlyWiredDog

Yes, you're odd, you keep your bikes in a shed…

samuri
    Free Member

done 25 miles on the CX this morning, which sorta prompted the question.

I bet all those pompino and roadrat owners rode a lot further than that today.

oddjob
    Free Member

Had a Pompino as a winter trainer occaisional commuter. Got rid of it because the chainline was out of what and it dropped the chain, the wheels were really badly built and the steerer was cut and the stem slammed down by the guys at on-one. I lived with it for about 5 years then got rid of it for a roadrat.
    Roadrat is OK but heavy. The fork is fugly abd the dropouts are a nightmare when running gears if you get a rear flat especially if you run mudguards.
    I'd like to get rid of it and get a normal CX bike but I can't justify it at the moment as it is just a winter trainer/ forest road bike.

My overall opinion, having owned both and as an owner of 2 road bikes and a mountain bike is that the OP is more or less correct.

thomthumb
    Free Member

don't understand why a pompino is a road(ish) bike?

Burls72
    Free Member

I'm confused, I like roadrats and pompinos, i've owned a proper road bike and i'm as vain as the next guy when it comes to mtb's (we all love a bit of bling) what does that make me? 😉

samuri
    Free Member

My overall opinion, having owned both and as an owner of 2 road bikes and a mountain bike is that the OP is more or less correct.

I've not owned a road rat but I've had two pompino's and lots and lots of road and mountain bikes and I think he's talking out his arse. 😉

I wouldn't dream of using my pompino for road riding, it's a cross bike for riding proper offroad on. I like 'em because they're hard as nails and can be run singlespeed.

oddjob
    Free Member

I bought the first generation from on-one and it came with 23mm tyres. I think it was safe to assume that they were intended for road use 😕

When I took it off road, the wheels were not up to the job (spokes snapping all the time), the riding position was too low at the front and the chain came off all the time on the bumps

Maybe the later generations were/are better.

samuri
    Free Member

Yeah, I didn't buy a stock bike from the shop, mine came second hand and was mostly in full cross mode already but it was amply cross capable and as far as I know it was the first pompino ever made. I did the three peaks on it quite happily.

oddjob
    Free Member

I suppose the frame was up to it, but the rest of the components weren't. To be honest, I thnk I'd swap the roadrat back for a pompino given the option, but at the moment I'd really like a Specialized crosser – geared or SS.

samuri
    Free Member

I'm struggling to decide which commuter to buy on my cycle2work scheme to be honest.

The Kona Jake one looks good, if a bit pricey for the spec.
    There's the Genesis day one then there's the road rat which I'm sure would be fine for my commute with some fat tyres and disks on.

oddjob
    Free Member

Think long and hard about flat tyres in the dark when you have full mudguards fitted.

I'd go with a more standard CX bike – whichever of them floats your boat.

Scootash
    Free Member

Heavy road(ish) bikes for vain MTBers who can't bear the stigma of riding a proper road bike?

As a 'rat owner, yes. But it's not particularly heavy. I bought it cos
    it'll run any size wheel or setup I'm ever likely to want on a commuter /
    road bike and it won't explode if I take it down a footpath or hit
    a curb.

When I start riding centuries before lunch, I'll get a Road Bike.

Last time I rode a drop bar bike with the push to the side gear shifters
    and brakes only on the lowers, I found it almost unrideable. I'm a mountain
    biker first, so flat bars, upright position and the ability to lift the front wheel over pot holes rather than steer round them is my instinct. Hence, the 'rat.

epicyclo

I have a road bike, I have a Pompino.

The Pomino is the most rode bike.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Road rats and pompinos’ is closed to new replies.