Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Road finishing kit
  • 1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Whats a good road finishing kit? I understand a set of carbon bars will cost £200+ but whats a good make?

RealMan
    Free Member

I understand a set of carbon bars will cost £200+

Really? I’d expect about £60 for an ebay job, no more then £150 for a decent make.

Deda, ITM, Ritchey, Look, etc. etc.

There’s lots of great makes, and lots of great kit. It’s all pretty similar, unless you’re competing at a very high standard, don’t worry too much about it.

crikey
    Free Member

I’d not be spending £200 on bars, they are covered by bartape and the gains otherwise are minimal. I would spend as little as possible on bars until I was sure that the shape was right for me. Compact? deep drop? classic? wing?

£200 on clothes would be a far better investment; decent tights and top, maybe overshoes, would give you more bang for the buck.

tlr

Are you after light? Strong? Durable? Cheap?

3T ergosum bars are a good shape for me, and all 3T stuff comes in 3 flavours; pro, team and ltd depending on your pocket depth.

onandon
    Free Member

PlanetX released some good deals today, not sure if they contain any carbon bars.

My road stuff was/is always Syntace,the quality is fantastic.

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Thanks for replies.

Not to concerned about light more comfort and durability.

I was looking at These but don’t know to much about Zipp products. But cheaper options would be nice 🙂

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Those carbon bars Realman posted the links to aren’t pukka carbon they’re carbon wrapped round alloy. Carbon wrap tends to delaminate especially round the stem clamp.

Best just get decent alloy bars. There’s no advantage to carbon bars in terms of lightness and stiffness compared to a good alloy bar.

pinches
    Free Member

I’ve got 3T ergonova pros on mine, i really like the shape.

crikey
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=19806

Still no better than alloy bars, especially when well taped, or for comfort and the Tour of Flanders, with a bit of gel wrap under the top section.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I got a set of these carbon bars. They seem fairly decent

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300378744947

donsimon
    Free Member

200 quid for bars??? If I needed bars that pricey, I’d be expecting them for free. 😕

fasthaggis

I always thought finishing kit meant …stickers 😉

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Cheers for replies.

Like the look of those bars davidtaylforth whats the actual finish on them like?

Crikey currently got gel under my bar tape now and hate it as I only have small hands, one reason I hate my current 105 levers.

crikey
    Free Member

Hmm. I’ve got little hands too and I love my 105 levers; nice and fat!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Dunno, they looked ok when I got them, they’ve got bar tape on now though! Its a 3k carbon finish.

Have a look through their other items, those are the bars I bought as they were 46cm wide, theres different widths and shapes for sale aswell.

pinches
    Free Member

46cm wide 😯

MrSmith
    Free Member

deda newton. all you need in a bar plus lighter than some carbon bars.

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

I found they do a 42 in a 140mm drop for £62

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I use 3T bars and stems on both my mountain and cyclocross bikes, great products, IMO

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Watch the measurements. They are measured side to side rather than centre to centre like almost all other bars. Therefore, the 46cm I bought are actually only 2cm wider than my old 42cm FSA bars.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Road finishing kit’ is closed to new replies.