Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Road brakes – dual pivot vs cantis
  • matthew_h
    Free Member

Assuming both are set up properly, how do decent dual pivots compare to cantis?

I’m building a custom frame in the next couple of months and I’m at the planning stage, so need to look at brake mounts. I’m also quite a big lad at about 18 stone so need some good stoppers. I’ve currently got cantis on a cross bike that I use for road and touring etc but wonder whether dual pivots would be a nicer option for the new frame.

I’m likely to go with either the Ultegra long drop dual pivots or the new CX70 cantis and they’d be paired with the R600 drop levers.

Any thoughts anyone?

Cheers

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Dual pivots (standard road brakes) work better than cantis ime

cynic-al
    Free Member

Properly set up cantis are way better, but overkill for a road bike imo.

Future proof it with disc mounts.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Sounds like dual pivots should be ok then.

I’m definitely not putting discs on.

jimc101
    Free Member

Dual Pivot if a road bike, Cantis don’t really belong on them.

I you are looking at a custom frame, why not embrace the future, and at least have disc tabs put on it, the UCI should have ratified discs for road bikes by 2014, and there are new brakes (R515) coming out next year from Shimano; as soon as the UCI say go, everyone will be making road discs.

Any reason why you aren’t using STI’s for the brake levers?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Properly set up cantis are way better,

What are you saying? I cant set up brakes properly?

crikey
    Free Member

I do recall, back in the mists of time, changing from single pivot road brakes to dual pivot, and being impressed by the difference. I also recall using canti brakes of various kinds while racing mountain bikes and cyclocross.

To be honest, I’ve never used a poor brake; I’ve managed to set them all up to work as well as I needed, whatever the design, whatever the purpose.

…and don’t get too hung up on slowing the bike down; it’s a secondary feature 😉

matthew_h
    Free Member

I know I definitely don’t want discs so won’t be going with the mounts for the them.

Reason for no STIs is because I’ll be have downtube shifters.

The cantis I’ve got at the moment are pretty good and I can do stoppies if I try but have been wondering about dual pivots to get a more road aesthetic.

crikey
    Free Member

Why downtube shifters?

cynic-al
    Free Member

David, do you really want to get into an argument with a Big Hitter?

matthew_h
    Free Member

Because I like them, they’re cheap, they’re light and they work perfectly well. I also like the choice of friction shifting. I won’t be racing the bike so the slight delay in shifting really won’t be a problem. I will futureproof it though so it can take STIs if needed in due course.

crikey
    Free Member

Interesting; I used down tube shifters and thought that STIs were the best thing ever, but I see your reasoning. Have you thought of using bar-end shifters? I thought they were a step up from down-tube levers…

matthew_h
    Free Member

I grew up with downtube shifters so I’m fairly used to them so going to give them a try again. If I’m not happy with them then I can go for bar end or STIs by swapping the braze ons for cable stops.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Also, I guess I’m being slightly stubborn, old fashioned and anti fashion by going for the downtube shifters but hey, why not.

STATO
    Free Member

Dual pivot calipers will have more leverage but less clearance than canti’s. However your after long reach calipers so not sure how they sit in terms of performance.

Levers wise im not a fan of the shimano ones, ran some on my SS cross bike and was underwhelmed with the performance, switched to some Tektro RL340 (ie. campag style) and was much happier, not sure if there is any change in mechanical leverage but they certainly fit my hands better so i could get more power out the brakes.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

David, do you really want to get into an argument with a Big Hitter?

Even though it friday night fight night, Im going to give it a miss. Im only scared of winning anyway.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Always been a bit underwhelmed by dual pivot brakes till I got my record skeleton ones with Swiss stop pads they are stunning.

But I do anything to get some disc on my road bike

orangeboy
    Free Member

Opps should read more not sure the big c do long drop sorry

cynic-al
    Free Member

Dual pivots more leverage than cantis?

LOL

tracknicko
    Free Member

be wary of the difference between proper dual pivot and deep drop dual pivot matt.

the first is endo tastic, the latter is end of the road and into a brick wall tastic.

the (admittedly tektro) deep drops on my winter bike are proper, proper, proper shite.

also. downtube shifters in the peak? **** that. the amount of times you are out of the saddle going uphill and crying out to shift…

matthew_h
    Free Member

Can you get 28c tyres and proper guards under a normal size dual pivot though?

As for gear changing, I’ll be in first gear way before the point of struggling enough to worry about having to shift

tracknicko
    Free Member

what the hell is this beast we are designing?

28’s? downtube shifters? guards?

sounds SLOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW

😉

matthew_h
    Free Member

It’s not going to be a race bike, just a nice solid road bike that can be a tourer with some minor changes hence wanting space for 28s and guards.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Road brakes – dual pivot vs cantis’ is closed to new replies.