• This topic has 111 replies, 68 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by Taff.
Viewing 32 posts - 81 through 112 (of 112 total)
  • Road bikes are ACE!
  • TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

I was wondering this as well. Have the levers (Tiagra) got a reach adjustment screw like on MTB brakes? Mine are just a little too far out tbh

molgrips
    Free Member

No, and it’s frigging annoying! I asked about this and apparently only Dura Ace has it!

You can I think get little rubber bumpers to stick in them though to do the same thing – I think.

Best thing to do is move them down around the bars a bit – it’ll make it much easier on the drops but might make it hard to reach on the hoods. You could also try rotating the bars themselves, either as well as or instead of the above.

It’s a fine art!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

There’s nothing as exhilarating as being in a small chain gang, riding your nuts off, doing “through and off” and scaring yourself to death

Depends on the MTB group. Go out with some similalry fit MTB’ers and you’ll be introduced to a whole new world of pain! On a road bike you can dig in a bit more, push a bit further into the oxygen debt and keep up. On a MTB you try the same and just hit a tree!

13thfloormonk

Specialized made a product called ‘Slim shims’ I think which would slot in between the lever and the hood to adjust reach, don’t know if they’re any better than the shimano equivalent. My 6600 Ultegra shifters seem to have the little screw at the base, hadn’t noticed until today.

globalti
    Free Member

Drafting is a skill seldom used in MTB riding as wind resistance is not usually significant, except perhaps on races or trailquest events where you’re temporarily on tarmac.

uplink
    Free Member

No, and it’s frigging annoying! I asked about this and apparently only Dura Ace has it!

You can I think get little rubber bumpers to stick in them though to do the same thing – I think.

the new 105 certain has the ability to adjust the reach with shims, don’t think previous versions do though

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Hmmm, i got some plastic things attached to my bike which looked like shims of some sort. I had absolutely no idea what they were for so will check that out. As i said mine are tiagra

molgrips
    Free Member

Drafting is a skill seldom used in MTB riding

Yes – on the Gorrick 100 I did a lot of it was flat fire-road, but no-one bunched up. I tucked in behind fast people and got a free ride on these sections 🙂

winterfold
    Free Member

Tip on roady etiquette – dont express climbing in feet and distance in km as people will see through you quicker than they can ask ‘what do you use to shave your legs?’

it looks like you are trying to big yourself up – and noone would want to do that would they? 😉

elaineanne
    Free Member

mr Blobby : i got my bike from a good shop in Leeds… its a specialized Dolce’ thats it…its got carbon forks with ‘Zertz’ inserts in the forks (something to do with being less ridgid on the roads 😉
    im only just 5ft and got the size 44cm frame no pics yet only my 3rd ride today got it last weekend… 😉 im buzzing off it ! lol oh hang on lets see if i can get a photo from a website :

ah here it is : we put some money up front then paying 20 per month till its paid off….
    i think its alot of bike for the money !!! really light bike too !!!!
    i went for some silver welgo flat pedals cos im used to flat pedals and didnt want those clip in pedals…
    yeah overall im well impressed with the bike… i got it to get some extra fitness in as im doing an MTB challenge in June so powering up on the road bike wi :wink:ll help…. only 3 rides into the bike and im hooked on it..lol

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Dolce-Womens-2011-Road-Bike_37678.htm

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback elaine, I’ll pass that on to mrs blobby. I think it’s between the dolce and the boardman right now.

ross980
    Free Member

Tip on roady etiquette – dont express climbing in feet and distance in km as people will see through you quicker than they can ask ‘what do you use to shave your legs?’

I express climbing in metres and distance in miles, I don’t think I’d ever accepted by proper roadies anyway due to my hairy legs, peaked helmet, normal spds and baggies. oh well.

bigG
    Free Member

Just back from the first shorts & short sleeves road ride of the year. Some lovely climbs and great descents. I concur wholly with this thread. Yes road bikes are ace

boxelder

+1 here – just in from first shorts ride. First half (and a bit) of the Fred Whitton. Flying down the passes was fun, but cramping thighs made Honister, newlands and Whinlatter painfull. In fact, I’ll admit it – for the first time I had to rest up Honister (4 times!) and walked some of Newlands. The shame.
    It’ll be better on the day…………won’t it? Please re-assure me

oldgit
    Free Member

Back from a long troubled ride. Six hours with a failing rear wheel, just had them rebuilt and one started shedding spokes. good job I didn’t get collected to ride the ‘Double Dutch 200K’ as planned…..slightly frazzled!

Got a club 100K Sunday, mostly road but with a few forrays along BWs and forest tracks as a homage to the PR. Just put road wheel/tyres on the crosser for that.

TimothyD
    Free Member

For me there’s something special about cycling along an undulating country road near me and having the feeling of effortlessness which comes from being fit and on a road bike.

I get wind born summer smells to smell wildlife to see, and can take in the specialness of my situation without having to think about line choice or work against the drag of treaded tyres.

Road biking is great.

Tim

TimothyD
    Free Member

By being fit, I mean not totally unfit, rather than ‘raodie fit’, which is probably another level of fitness.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

+1 here – just in from first shorts ride. First half (and a bit) of the Fred Whitton. Flying down the passes was fun, but cramping thighs made Honister, newlands and Whinlatter painfull. In fact, I’ll admit it – for the first time I had to rest up Honister (4 times!) and walked some of Newlands. The shame.
    It’ll be better on the day…………won’t it? Please re-assure me

We did some of the latter half of the FW today (hardknott and wrynose) and the struggle – I’d say get a compact chainset. I remember laughing at the thought a while ago, but its nice being able to blast the climbs without having to tear your arms and legs out of there joints.

Had to wait for quite a while at the top of each for my brother, who was slowly grinding his way up on a 39/25.

scaredypants

was out on the road Friday evening

Far and away the best thing was the dozens of BBQs sparked up and wafting sossidgey smells all round the place 🙂

charliedontsurf

Gave myself a steel geared road bike for my birthday this week. A considerable contrast to the pugsley.
    Road bikes are ace, in moderation.
    Having said that I am riding a one speed crosser all the way to ssec. I might be sick of the road after that.

rp16v
    Free Member

picked up my first road bike this week at a bootsale nothing special just a carrera with a missing left shifter for £25 so riped the gears off fitted flat bars/bar ends,avid levers(adjustable leaver ratio)and some spd’s and it flys so well cant wait to get commuting more.

Wookster

Slowly getting addicted! Love the lack of hassle compared to the MTB always add 30 min to get to the trails plus sane back road bike out of the garage and gone! It’s great in this weather much better than my rides to work in feb! Still must get faster and fitter!! Not to mention the whole new world of shiny kit…… Might get some carbon wheels and do a sportive…….Just for easyrider….. 😆

easyrider
    Free Member

See if Bontrager do some carbon stabilisers to go with them eh 😆

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Attempted to do a century yesterday, only ended up being 92 miles though. Rode from Rochdale to Southport and back – bit of a trip for fish and chips i admit!

I’m not a proper roadie though, Boardman flat-barred hybrid, spd pedals and shimano race shoes, mtb helmet and bar bag 😆

Still, was a nice ride and i ate some lovely grub on the seafront.

damo2576
    Free Member

How do you all find the transition to road and getting used to cars flying past rather than trees?

anto164
    Free Member

I went on my first road ride this year the other day. (When i say first road ride, it was the first time i put the lycra on this year. Good news, it all still fits!)and i forgot how fast you can go! Ended up doing 46mph down a hill in a 30, and having to slam on the brakes otherwise i’d have gone into the back of a slow moving car! only did 25 miles, as it was getting dark. And that i was recovering from a day at a pump track doing laps.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I commute every day so i’m used to vehicles and there’s precious few trees around here!

jonb
    Free Member

How do you all find the transition to road and getting used to cars flying past rather than trees?

Avoid busy roads. I head out north towards Otterburn from Newcastle. Came back over High Green. I can’t imagine I saw more than 10 cars once I was into the country side.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Quick 30 odd miles tonight, luvvely job.

GoatKarma
    Free Member

1250 roadie miles(2003KM) for me last month. 8th out of 10500 people on endomondo. First ever sports massage tomorrow as legs still feel terrible from it 🙂

Wookster

😆 easy rider just finished fitting the bladed spokes and kick stand mate……

Taff
    Free Member

My new but old road bike had it’s first proper outing tonight as a charge spoon saddle finally arrived. Managed to do 17miles in 68mins whi h I didn’t think was bad considering I have man flu. Not really sure about look pedals though and not just because I slipped on the laminate floor while leaving the house. Only real problem with the bike is that the rx100 shifter is a little bit notchy and slighty unreliable-just ran a load of degreaser though it and will lube it later but hope it may free it up a bit.

Viewing 32 posts - 81 through 112 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘Road bikes are ACE!’ is closed to new replies.