Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Road Bike Ideas
  • DavidB
    Free Member

Can’t face a Ribble
    Can’t face posting on a roadie forum
    Can’t face second hand

So, budget of up to £700 any ideas for an all year round training road bike

deadlyhifi
    Free Member

always been impressed by the Specialized Allez range. Also have a look at the new Giant AVAIL – they seem very good value for money.

mingsta
    Free Member

Specialized Allez has to be the default choice for the aspiring roadie. Focus and Felt also seem to offer good vfm bikes at that price range.

If you can up the ante to 1K then a 2008 model with CF frame should be doable…evans have the 2008 Tarmac Elite going for 1K but limited sizes.

Otherwise, get double the bike through going 2nd hand!

davygravy
    Free Member

Its gotta be an Orbea!

Ed2001
    Free Member

If you want to train on it all year round I would suggest looking at a bike which will take mudguards. Lot of previous suggestions nice bikes ( particularly the allez) but not would I would think of as training bikes. Try surosa they do audax/training bikes in your price range.

nicks
    Free Member

allez or trek 1.7

aP
    Free Member

Go to a LBS and try some out and see which ones you like then make your decision from those.

njee20
    Free Member

You can fit mudguards to an Allez, why not suitable?

I’ve got a 2009 Allez Elite as a commuter bike, it’s alright, although it feels like a chopper, the front end is so much higher than my Madone, even with all the spacers above the stem. Rides nicely enough though.

mingsta
    Free Member

Yup, good point about mudguards, I wish I’d specc’d the appropriate drillings on my Seven way back when.

However, its not a deal breaker as you can easily winterise your bike with some P-clips and a cheap winter fork such as the ITM Vistia.

epicyclo

Get a cross bike. You can venture offroad as well then. Room for slightly fatter tyres and mudguards and decent brakes.

Genesis make a nice one, so do Cube.

johnhoo
    Free Member

I bought a Trek 1.5 last year for commuting on. It does the job. £600 IIRC

DavidB
    Free Member

I’m not keen on a cross bike as I have a Pompino already that sort of fills that gap.

One problem with most of the above is Shimano .. as I’m a bit of a Campag fan on roadie bikes. Problem is that Ribble seem to be the only firm who spec lower end models with Xenon/Veloce

aP
    Free Member

Pearson?
    Condor?
    Wilier?

rOcKeTdOg

i’ve got a Trek 1.5 (same frame as 1.7 etc) can’t fault it for the money and throw some money at it when parts wear out and it’d make a quite light, capable all rounder

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Bianchi Nirone 7 Xenon £739 at Evans with Campag, (am looking at ones of these myself through C2W)

glenp
    Free Member

Have a look at a Kinesis Racelight Tk Kinesis site

You might be able to get a deal in your budget if you google around – great bike, very versatile and lovely to ride.

neil853
    Free Member

why don’t you like ribble? i only ask as i’m going through the same thought process now and i was goping to have a look in there?

grumm
    Free Member

Dunno if you have considered and dismissed this, but I just sold a full on road bike to get a Kaffenback, which with some slightly bigger tyres on can handle a bit of off road. I much prefer it.

The roads round here are not that great anyway so having bigger tyres is good, and it’s really nice to be able to comfortably nip down a gravel track or canal towpath or whatever.

DavidB
    Free Member

“why don’t you like ribble? i only ask as i’m going through the same thought process now and i was goping to have a look in there? “

Three reasons:-

-sizing
    -service
    -snobbery

I know a lot of people who have ended up with a bike that is the wrong size as they do not size their frames conventionally

I also know people who had real problems with their customer service

And finally, everyone in our road club has one and being a total snob I want something different

DavidB
    Free Member

Dead tempted by the Bianchi

I looked at the Kinesis but became confused as they don’t sell full bikes direct, however, my LBS (Red Planet) is listed as a dealer so might pop down there at lunch!

Kaffenbach dismissed as I am looking for a pure roadbike really

oldgit
    Free Member

Purely my opinion, I think Shimano budget end equipment works better than Campagnolo and I love Campag being brought up on the stuff. But all my road bikes run Shimano.
    If I was’nt racing at all I’d go Campag, but until I can get a Campag part friday afternoon to race on Sunday I’m staying with Shimano.

I’ve trained and raced a Giant SCR Ltd (up for sale) and now race my budget Alez Elite which s fine as most UK races in my age cat are between 35 and 70 miles.

I’m contacting Rourkes for a steel build for general all round riding.

RealMan
    Free Member

Another vote for the allez here, but I find that I prefer the 08 frame to the 09, because I think they removed all the zertz inserts from the 09 frame – maybe it got more comfortable then the roubaix, and sales dropped on that?

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Am looking to arrange a test ride on a Bianchi either this weekend or next will let you know what i think

oldgit
    Free Member

David I look at my bike which cost next to nothing (you’d have £500 left)and I think I just don’t need anything else.
    Your budget is a tough price break, a few bob more would make a huge difference.

Someone else has paid for the FSA carbon Team issue cranks and carbon stem and palm bars.

DavidB
    Free Member

I got the Bianchi today, went for Shitmano in the in but the bike rides loverly anyway

Philby

I also got a Bianchi C2C Via Nirone (discounted 2008 model) with Shimano in February. Fantastic bike, great geometry and a very smooth ride – and gets lots of nice comments (which is equally important!)

Enjoy!

Guilliano
    Free Member

Giant Defy 2.5 if your LBS or a net shop has one in your size! Best value roady bike in that price range at £675. Great frame, good kit and a compact frame so not too racy.

alwyn
    Free Member

Go British and get a Monoc. They are pretty good Aluminium frames and come with a pretty good spec. I love mine and they are great training / all year bikes.

http://monoc.co.uk/bikes.htm

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Road Bike Ideas’ is closed to new replies.