Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Road Bike advice
  • slowjo
    Free Member

Not for me, for a mate's son who is just getting into riding on the road. He has been riding a fair amount this year and has started time trialling on a bike that put him back nearly £70! He is having great fun but trashed the bike last week as the chain stay failed with catastrophic consequences (for the bike).

Budget is £600 to £700.

The obvious choice I'd have thought would be the Boardman Team which more or less presses the buttons on every front including price.

Any ideas? (bear in mind he is growing like a weed at the moment – every time I see them he has sprouted up another few inches.)

He'd fit a 53 to 55 com frame atm.

foxyrider
    Free Member

For value for money (not a badge or boutique by any means)

7005SL Sloping Shimano Tiagra 9 Spd

or

7005 Horizontal Campagnolo 10 Spd

oldgit
    Free Member

I'd really look at used if his serious. Proper bikes and fair deals in Cycling Weekly.

wwaswas

not sure if Planet-X are doign any builds at that price currently but well worth a look if they are – the geometry is great.

foxyrider
    Free Member

+1 WW

zaskar
    Free Member

Something in the sales reduced from a grand to his budget of £700.

Evans have sales on now too.

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

how tall is he?

slowjo
    Free Member

mathewshotbol not exactly sure of his height but as said in OP he'd fit a 53 to 55cm frame – or so his dad tels me.

finbar
    Free Member

The Boardman Team alu frame is really nice. So much lighter than equivalent competition (well, Focus, Specialized and Trek i'm aware of). Full carbon fork as well which is rare for the money. It's low and racey but if he's doing TTs already that'll suit him well.

It's got some nice details for a cheap frame too, like a boss for your race number on the top tube 😀

maxlite
    Free Member

Still some frames left on Ribble clearance, plus good offer on forks/headset with frame

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/assets/images/FrameClearance2010.pdf

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Road Bike advice’ is closed to new replies.