Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Ritchey 29er- Sweet!
  • BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

luked2
    Free Member

29ers are rubbish. Everyone knows that. Heavy, slow, unresponsive. I have no idea why anyone would buy one.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Troll

Hairychested
    Free Member

Do they come with Ritchey clipless? And tyres?

mtbfix

Very nice. Even the wonky down tube does not look too bad.

69er
    Free Member

That is quite sweet in a retro ritchey way, but why do they feel it necessary to bend tubes?

mtbfix

why do they feel it necessary to bend tubes?

To stop the fork crown hitting the downtube. Better a wonky and mildly unsightly tube than a dented frame in a critical place. It just struck me that we (me included) object to the aesthetics of bent downtubes but not curvy stays.

miketually
    Free Member

Oh my. Slidy dropouts too, so SS-able.

Can fork manufacturers please rejig their fork crowns so we can have straight tubes.

myheadsashed

I like that…. 😉

mtbfix

SS-able? Like this…?

the-muffin-man

Slidey droputs spoil it!

Needs old skool lovely little Ritchey dropouts!!

P20

I’m a sceptic of 29ers, though some do look good. I’m not sure on the look of that one to be honest, missing too many of the ritchey touches to be special. Interesting to see how much it’ll be.

ahwiles
    Free Member

i want to be a fan of 29’ers, but they all seem to have the same front-heavy geometry.

snot for me, but i’ll keep my eyes open and see how things move along.

takisawa2

Is that Michelle Collins on the sofa…

Nice bike, very US looking set-up.

tazzymtb

29ers can look ace (take the carbon niner for example) but that ritchey just makes me want to

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Sorry that looks awesome. Love the retro paint job. Are they available yet?

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Daisy Duke- the post on Cyclingnews said later this year HOWEVER, production models will be TIG welded in Taiwan (not necessarily bad)not fillet brazed by Tom Ritchey like the NAHMBS model 😥

chewkw
    Free Member

mtbfix – Member

why do they feel it necessary to bend tubes?

To stop the fork crown hitting the downtube. Better a wonky and mildly unsightly tube than a dented frame in a critical place. It just struck me that we (me included) object to the aesthetics of bent downtubes but not curvy stays.

I think they are simply lazy or shite at designing it properly. I am sure with angle changes they can have one without bend tube to accommodate fork crown.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I don’t generally like the look of 29ers but that’s one of the few exceptions – very nice.

rOcKeTdOg

but they all seem to have the same front-heavy geometry.

#whatyoutalkinaboutwillis?

steve_b77
    Free Member

If it’s Ritchie, why has it got Syncros finishing kit & wheels?

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

This has got Ritchey finishing kit and is equally fit

Bazz

I really want to try a 29er, but it won’t be one of those, not for me. That crosser on the other hand is tasty.

mrmo
    Free Member

I think they are simply lazy or shite at designing it properly. I am sure with angle changes they can have one without bend tube to accommodate fork crown.

they could, but a number of issues, first kick the head angle out eventually if you make it slack enough no chance of the crown hitting the downtube, handling will be cack but such is life.

Or change the design of the forks, make them much longer with more gently sloping crowns, fit this to a frame and see the headangle kick back and handling go to cack. Or you can shorten the headtube to accomodate the longer fork but you may then not be able to get the bars in the right place, the bearing separation become very small, and the frame looks odd.

IT is all about compromise, the simplest which is what you see is to put a bend in the down tube.

P20

The Swiss cross is nice

rOcKeTdOg

i heart that X bike

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Ritchey 29er- Sweet!’ is closed to new replies.