Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • rip in sidewall…how to fix?
  • alpin
    Free Member

somethig with dental floss?

nickc

I've seen a tyre repaired with dental floss, cut was less than inch long though. Dunno how long it lasted mind.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

I came across this a few years ago. Put a toothpaste tube and carpet needle and tread in my tool kit after reading it. Have had call to use it a couple of time, once in the Alpes and once on the Marin a few weeks ago. Both times pretty big rips (both time on the same mates bike). Worked a treat, but the only thing I do different is put the repaired on the back.

How to fix a rip

alpin
    Free Member

one rip is about 1/2 inch. then i have two small holes caused by a snakebite.

was thinking about glueing a patch over the small holes.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Throw it away!!!
    It's not worth risking your neck on.
    SB

Pook

I've done mine with a piece of card, duct tape and super glue, and it's fine The hole's only 1cm though

johnikgriff
    Free Member

"My" method is just an emergency fix to get you round, as strato says I wouldn't leave it on long term.

avalanche
    Free Member

Dental floss is very very strong. I used to use it for stitching leather harnesses,bags, knife sheathes etc. I would recommend baseball stitch, ie pulling the two sides together with the thread going from the outside through the cut to the inside in a figure eight. difficult to describe- see if you can find some pictures on the net. Park sidewall patches are a bit stiff in my opinion. Use a piece of old tube stuck on with cyanoacrylate.

singletracksurfer

i've used old inner tube sewn in with kevlar thread.

the bigger tear has started bulging through so I will use something bit firmer.

to tight to throw the tyre away (it was brand new, first ride).
    Worked ok, so did it on some of my older (but not very worn at all) tyres with splits. If the rubber is old and fragile chuck em.

can't see its much more dangerous than having a standard blow out. Could just leave you f&*^£$ in the middle of nowhere.

takisawa2

I sewed a 1.5" rip in a Spesh tyre once, used extra strong thread from a sewing shop & a strong needle. The stuff was mega strong (couldn't break it by hand). Tyre was in use till the tread had worn out.

twohats
    Free Member

Gaffer tape for small rips or money, i.e. new tyre time.

zaskar
    Free Member

stratobiker – Member

Throw it away!!!
    It's not worth risking your neck on.
    SB

He's dam right y'know-safety 1st.

Quick get you home repair as above only.

Your neck -look after it! 😀

alpin
    Free Member

sewn up with dental floss and a patch of tooth paste tube as backing. then covered with a large puncture patch.

next question; do i have to use a proper rim strip or will a roll of electricians tape do the job?

cheers

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘rip in sidewall…how to fix?’ is closed to new replies.