Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Ring of Steall
  • fergal
    Free Member

One for those into S&M i reckon, serious Munrosis with a bike fetish, 5500ft of hike abike for starters, how much of this traverse do you reckon is rideable….just pondering spring stupidity.

druidh
    Free Member

Taking a bike would spoil a nice walk

TheBrick
    Free Member

I think it could be quite dangerous trying to carry bike on some of the scrambling. I’ve only done once in very high winds + rain so its probably not as bad as I remember but not a place I’d want to have to carry a bike.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

….just pondering spring stupidity.

You got one word out of four right, the last one!
    Why would you bother? (& don’t say ‘because it’s there’ cos I’ve heard that one)

fergal
    Free Member

Yep i have my doubts, some are doing it, certainly makes for a nice photo, i’m not adverse to carrying a bike up hills, i just think of the training value in a perverse kind of a way.

fergal
    Free Member

I’m just wondering whether there is quite a bit of posturing when it comes to all mountain riding on here, is it a case of take the bike for a walk, ride a tiny amount in a spectacular situation, then spray on the internet about how awesome the ride was in some cases.

druidh
    Free Member

fergal – Member
    I’m just wondering whether there is quite a bit of posturing when it comes to all mountain riding on here, is it a case of take the bike for a walk, ride a tiny amount in a spectacular situation, then spray on the internet about how awesome the ride was in some cases.

That is undoubtedly true – in some cases. I prefer routes where I’ll be riding the bike the majority of the time. However, there are some cracking descents which can only be won with a bit of hiking/carrying.

marty
    Free Member

The In Pinn was well rad.

Garry_Lager

Hitting the Munro tops on the bike falls into two categories IMHO – epic rides and contrived bell-endery. Ring of Steall on a bike is pretty firmly in the latter one.

druidh
    Free Member

marty – Member
    The Inn Pin was well rad.

See what I mean 😉

alpin
    Free Member

this year i took my bike up the Risserkogel, the highest peak in the Tegernseer Alps. why? because it was the highest and had the best views.

the route up it quite pleasent as it the single track winds its way through the forest and over alpine meadows. then there is a bare ridge with a small narrow path and some big drops. towards the top it was a case of ride – jump off, push/carry – ride, until it became a case of carry – throw bike up onto ledge – climb up – throw bike up again.

two girls came down towards me as were shaking there heads as i had the bike on my shoulder and the other hand on the cable that had been put in place for people to secure themselves to.

on my way back down there were places where i was having to literally drop the bike 3ft down onto a ledge and hope for the best.

the descent to the south was worth it though…

looking back it was prbably a bit of a daft thing to do, but would i do it again? yes, but i’d leave the bike lower down and scramble the last 100m on foot.

if you’re ever there have a look at the cartoon i drew of myself, my bike and the big cross.
    from the northern side:

fergal
    Free Member

Druidh i really like that style of MTB, as long as there is some big continuous descent, in the case of this traverse i am sure there is a section that is quite spectacular, but it may well be short lived and not really worth the toil of the complete circuit.

Marty i am a mountaineer of some repute, i can assure you the Inn Pinn ain’t RAD.

PS. Garry you may well be correct
    alpin great story similiar outlook to myself.

marty
    Free Member

i can assure you the In Pinn ain’t RAD.
    wrong tyres?

druidh
    Free Member

fergal – Member
    Druidh i really like that style of MTB, as long as there is some big continuous descent, in the case of this traverse i am sure there is a section that is quite spectacular, but it may well be short lived and not really worth the toil of the complete circuit.

Snap

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Doing the Ring of Steall with a bike (note I said ‘with’ not ‘on’) just sounds stupid to me. I recall the climb up took forever and was steep and difficult (anticlockwise), can’t imagine carrying a bike up that. What’s attracted you to consider doing it? The zigzaging track on the other side of the waterfall might be a good tech descent, but the cost of the climb up could never be paid back in the descent. Good Luck!

fergal
    Free Member

Just seeking the next rare butterfly for my collection, if i can convince myself it is worthwhile, not looking good so far!!??

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Well, having seen vid of someone doing the Aonach Eagach with a bike in tow, I guess you are not alone, or was that you?.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It’s a top walk, esp. under snow. Bike? Surely no!

Sanny
    Free Member

Having seen the video that Singletrackbikes posted, you can add me to the list as being willing to give it a bash. The route I have planned avoids the summits and drops you down to Kinlochleven. Having said that, I may still knock out the peaks while I’m there even if it is a carry or leave the bikes for an out and back along the ridge. Personally, I can live with a carry to the summit if the views and the riding on the way along and down offer a bit of reward. If I stuck to trails that were all rideable up and down, I’d have missed out on some truly memorable and enjoyable rides.

Interested by the contrived bell endery comment (great phrase, btw). I know there are rides I have done thus year that some of my riding mates loved and others hated. Humphing your bike fir a couple of hours will never be everyones cup of tea but for me, just being out in the mountains is good enough reason alone.

Sanny
    Free Member

Fergal

I should have added that if you don’t give it a go, how will you know for sure if it was worth the effort or not. I remember doing Strath Nethy last year and it was an unrelenting 2+ hour walk with bike through heather and bog. It was a major pita and yet the very next weekend, I was back in the Cairngorm’s. Sometimes the gamble doesn’t quite pay off and things don’t go to plan. It’s part of the game. However, it doesn’t mean I wish I hadn’t given it a go. Like I said, it’s on my radar so will get done in the Spring. It may be good or it may be guff but either way, it won’t be a wasted day. 😀

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Having seen the video that Singletrackbikes posted, you can add me to the list as being willing to give it a bash. The route I have planned avoids the summits and drops you down to Kinlochleven.

So not the Ring of Steall then? But, your completely alternative suggestion might actually be worth the slog/carry up from Glen Nevis. Or does it start from somewhere else as well? 😉

13thfloormonk

I’m all for exploring when there is the possibility of something rideable, like Sanny’s Strath Nethy example, but for now I’m done with anything where I know the pushing/carrying will outweigh the riding, and having walked it, I think the Ring of Steall would definitely fall into the latter scenario.

Personally I think putting the “mountain” back into mountainbiking is great, just not at the expense of the “biking” 8)

stucol
    Free Member

In order to be allowed to do the ring of Steall on the bike you must first pass one test.

You must ride the bike across the wire bridge without using the side ropes.

Only then may you do the rest.

(Hope the wire bridge is still there, not been up there for years).

13thfloormonk

Its there, although it had to be repaired after some fat Americans had managed to break it this year!! You can cross that river without it anyway, as I found out when I couldn’t wait for the queueueue of about 15 tourists taking 5 minutes each to cross it 😕

Nipper99
    Free Member

Having done this in both summer and winter several times i cant think what hauling a bike around it would add. Some hills are better enjoyed/experienced on foot.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Ring of Steall’ is closed to new replies.