Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Rims – Crest -v- Arch
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

After some new tubless friendly rims for my xc bike.

Debating Stans Crest vs Arch or a combination of the two. They’re to go on my Soda, long all day rides in a variety of locations, many pretty rocky. Not afraid of the odd jump and drop

As a rule I don’t buckle wheels, but I do tend to dink the kakky out of them (current Bonty Mustangs are within 1/4″ of straight after 4 years, but have 15+ flatspots or proper crimps each). On the other hand I am (especially on this bike) a bit weight weenie (at 10 stone I can sort of justify it).

Had thought about doing Crest front, Arch rear, but whilst I have less dinks in the front rim, the ones that are there are pretty serious.

They’ll be built onto my existing ProIIs with DT Supercomps (2x if I can get the right lengths) with ally nips.

Thoughts….?

Thanks!

oxnop
    Free Member

On my HT (cotic soul) I have flow rear and crest front – both are still running true after a month or two of clumsy riding.

No issues yet (the front wheel feels really light too)

campfreddie
    Free Member

i’m just having a set of crests made up with pro ii evo hubs… i’m just under 90kgs and ballerina!

only comment i would make is to consider having brass nipples rather than alloy. i was going to spec anodised alloy nipples (to match the hope hubs), but figured the brass would be more reliable in the long term (replacing broken spokes etc however long down the line).

barzy38
    Free Member

I bought some Crest rims last year as they were on discount from crc.
    I panicked when I saw them though as there seemed to be nothing to them. I’d just come back from 7 stanes and didn’t reckon that something so light and slim could cope with those rocks.
    So, I posted some questions and most people seemed to think they were ok.
    However, I still sent them back and got some Arch’s instead.
    These are brilliant. Easy to build-up and stiffer and lighter than the 719’s that I was using.
    Tubeless is hilarious. I’d sometimes get 3 pinch-flats a ride. No more…

neninja
    Free Member

I currently run Arch rims and they seem very strong and no flex at all.

Previously ran Olympic rims on another bike and they were a bit lighter than the Crest and were excellent.

I’m fairly light on the bike and reckon I could have got away with Crest but the additional strength of the Arch is reassuring.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Rims – Crest -v- Arch’ is closed to new replies.