Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Riding in California??
  • ltheisinger
    Free Member

I am planning a road trip around California for Sept 2009, flight tickets are bought and the RV is hired – all I need to know now, is where do you guys recommend? I have been doing the research, but nothing better than the feedback from those that may have ridden there! Give me what you got!!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Near San Francisco? Consider Lake Tahoe and Downieville. Consult local bike shops for trail info. Id even consider going up into Oregon too. Try Oakridge and Bend.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Yeah, flying to San Francisco, but then going clockwise around California – We have planned in both Lake Tahoe & Downieville – I will look up Oakridge & Bend? Not considered them! Cheers buddy.

lardman
    Free Member

If you're in Northern Cal…
    I can help.

Downieville, has got some amazing riding, maybe some of the best i've ever ridden. Dont miss it if you are in the Lake Tahoe area. Tahoe also has some other great riding areas too!

Mammoth also has some good areas to ride.

There are some lovely areas on the main highway 1 on the coast. Big redwoods state park is worth a shot.

If you are in the San Fran bay area, i can suggest some more local trails worth a look. Mount Diablo in the East Bay has some great singletrack, and despite the restrictions on trails available there are some terrific trails in Marin County. Further north from Marin, is Samuel P Taylor state Park which has some lovely trails too.

Above all…. dont miss out on Downivillle. It's stunning.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

lardman – great info thanks! I have read about Downieville & we had planned that one in – so that sounds sweeeeeeeeet! IDEAL! Sounds like you have ridden there quite a lot, do you by any chance know what its like getting RV parking overnight in the California area – are they easy to come by as you go the trails or do you have to prebook?? Any info would be greatly appreciated!! Cheers buddy…..

mossimus
    Free Member

I presume you have hired a DeLorean as well as an RV 🙂

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Mossimus – why would that be??

lardman
    Free Member

Well…. not sure about the RV hookup stuff, although most ski-resorts have hook-ups and will be mostly empty in that period. They may be worth a bet. closest resort to Downiville is 'North Star' in Tahoe. about 30mins drive from there.

There are lots of other hook-up parks for RV's, but i dont know any specifics. Maybe a call to Downieville outfitters may help.
    clicky!

I lived in San Fran for a couple of years, and raced/rode the whole area a fair bit.

You'll want to spend at least 2 days in Downivillle, better to have 3. There are lots of trails, some uplifted all the way, and some you can have a lift about halfway.
    The great Divide trail at DV is amazing. Long, dusty, tricky, and beautiful. In fact, now i think about it – 'you bast*rd' i'm jealous.

Look out for the 'flume' trail, in east Tahoe. You can car shuttle the road bit, and still have plenty of uphill too!.

hope this helps…

noteeth
    Free Member

Ah, I wanna go back…

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Mate (lardman), that is amazing info – I really appreciate you taking the time to send the info…..WHAT A PIC! I am getting really excited and I have a whole 9 months to wait! I'll send you some pics when I get back 😀

triple_s

Tahoe:
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3161/2827975949_1690d488fe.jpg

Downieville:
    http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3061/2827910163_d6a2864999.jpg

Both fantastic, so was Skyline park in Napa (SSWC08 easily the best race I've ever done) and Annadel Park just outside Santa Rosa was amazing.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3246/2795217072_891158871d.jpg

ltheisinger
    Free Member

triple_s – thanks buddy, it looks awesome!

robbo
    Free Member

Well if you're touring the whole state just about everywhere has great riding (except the Central Valley!). Don't forget to go to Santa Cruz (Soquel Demo Forest) and the Peninsula trails (Skeggs, Saratoga Gap). Driving down to Monterey (Fort Ord for the Sea Otter trails) and on to Santa Barbera mountains. Big Bear near LA then on to San Diego. Then back north for Mammoth (visit Yosemite and Death Valley for non riding scenery). Tahoe then Downieville,and back through Marin. The trail reviews on MTBR.com are pretty good for ideas. If you have time pop over to Zion and Bryce Canyon near Las Vegas. How long have you got!

RepackRider
    Free Member

2retro4u
    Marin County, Cali

There is lots of good stuff all over California, but of course everyone is partial to their local trails.

If you get anywhere near Marin County, let me know and I'll show you my favorites.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Robbo – Thanks again for all the info – it looks like I could spend months there! Shame I've got to work eh!!??

Repack Rider – I am going to be going your way on day 1/2 of the trip….we were planning to go to China State Park, but if you have something better to show us in your area, a detour ain't going to matter!! We will be in an RV, is there plenty of places to park it up??

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

I am planning a road trip around California for Sept 2009

I guess you missed your flight? 😉

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Haha, nice one….didn't even notice (nor did anyone else who replied!) 😳 – make that 2010!!

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I'll second the recommnedations above on Downieville, Tahoe and mammoth, some awesome rides. Check out Toads… very good ride.

Also you should go and ride Marin. The bits on the headland arent exciting but are where it began. I also did a trail called boy scout which was good. If yer in San Francisco look up chris who owns roaring mouse cycles. He's an ex pat Brit and will give you tons of trails and contacts i am sure.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

ti_pin_man: Again some great info cheers buddy, I will send Chris and email and see what happens – thanks very much mate!! We intended to ride Mr Toads, so great to hear that is a good choice & Repack Rider has offered Marin County – which is MINT! Regards. Leon

scaredypants

There's a really nice 3hr (or so) ride within half an hour of the I5 in Orange County, if you're passing that way (en route to san diego maybe ?)

Bregante

I am planning a road trip around California for Sept 2009

I guess you missed your flight?

Aah, so THAT was the reason for the mention of a DeLorean 😉

ltheisinger
    Free Member

BINGO! I was just testing!! 🙄

RepackRider
    Free Member

2retro4u
    Marin County, Cali

Repack Rider – I am going to be going your way on day 1/2 of the trip….we were planning to go to China State Park, but if you have something better to show us in your area, a detour ain't going to matter!!

China Camp is totally tame. (BTW, used as a shooting location for a John Wayne film, "Blood Alley," 1955.)

I live about five miles from China Camp, and I would take you to Tamarancho. Go on YouTube and do a search for "tamarancho." Seems like everyone who rides there puts up a vid. Nine miles of gnarly singletrack, members only and I am a member. And when you are done, you can retire to the Iron Springs brewery to sample GOOD American beer!

ltheisinger
    Free Member

That sounds like just the ticket buddy! The "good american beer" that is! Oh yeah, and the single track – that would be superb! Anywhere in that area to Pitch an RV for the night?? Cheers. Leon

RepackRider
    Free Member

Not sure about RV parking, since I live here and don't have to do that. There are several state parks and private RV campgrounds in the area.

Rivett
    Free Member

The Flume trail is well worth doing. Also check out the trails at Alpine Meadows to the NW of Lake Tahoe.. Don't know if your going that far south but Santa Barabara is worth a visit. Some good drops back down to the coast from the front range.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Repack Rider: You have been a great help and I will keep your details as we will take you up on that ride when we're in town! Sounds awesome. I am sure we will find an RV park somewhere near??

Rivett: Yeah buddy….we are going to do the Flume Trail, it looks great! Unfortunately I just don't think we're going to have enough time to get as far south as Santa Barbara?? We'll have to see how it goes??

Cheers everyone! If anyone else has any suggestions, keep em coming!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Riding in California??’ is closed to new replies.