Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Rides near Ulverston
  • Will_B
    Free Member

Just booked a week in a cottage nr Ulverston with the other half for the end of June. Will probably be able to get away for a one/one and half days max for a bit of riding. Any suggestions?

Not cycled in the Lakes before so fairly clueless on routes – would like to stay away from the crowds but otherwise tell me where is good.

Cheers,

qwerty
    Free Member

Will_B
    Free Member

Was just eyeing that guide up on amazon – are the routes any good? I've not had great experiences with similar books previously…

qwerty
    Free Member

yea, its a great book, lots of ideas, enough to keep you going back to the Lakes!!! – it has maps in it, but you'll still require an OS map (or SatNav gadget) – personally i'd buy the book, select some routes and then obtain the relavent OS maps

Will_B
    Free Member

Sounds perfect – I'll check it out. Thanks

Baldysquirt

There's some great stuff close by: Duddon valley / Blawith fells / Grizedale forest (not TNF trail, just the BWs). The VG book's got great routes in all these areas.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Duddon – it's only a 15 minute drive to get there – or out from Torver(also 15 mins away):

Over Broughton Moor to Stephenson Ground, towards Stainton Ground, but head north to drop down to Seathwaite. Back over the Walna Scar Road.

Or Parkamoor

Or Ironkeld, Little Langdale, Loughrigg.

🙂

Or just go to the pub 🙂 Can suggest The Mill, The Stan Laurel, The Swan and The Devonshire Arms as being particularly good… actually – throw in The Farmers Arms and Avanti Capitola too….

Not been out on the bike much since moving here, but have done some quality research on the pubs!

owencb
    Free Member

Will! Send me your email address and I'll copy you some routes if you like!

Rob! You'll have to give me a shout too, me and a couple of mates going over Parkamoor on Wednesday morning if you can make it.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

+1 on the walna scar route.It really is one of the best decents in the lakes 😉

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Owen – would love to mate, but got a pump being delivered at some stage so need to sit and wait for it, then go and get it fitted over Windermere direction 🙁

Cammer
    Free Member

Grizedale BW's and Claife is worth mentioning.

Also for a full on day with all the best bits of the area would be Tour of Coniston. Roughly compromises of Blawith, Stephenson Ground, Walna Scar, Coniston, Grizedale, Parkamoor.

Rob, just about all pubs apart from the Sun then 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Birkrigg common
    Booths roundabout
    The Kiosk

All of them are classics

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Cammer… nah, I avoid The Grapes too 😉

Quite a fan of The Mill at the moment, fine beer…. though The Old Friends is my local (it's just over the road after all!)

alexxx
    Free Member

The A590 is good for a time trial haunt 😀

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

It's better with 1000cc under your arse alexxx 😉

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Whereabouts is the cottage near ulverston?

alexxx
    Free Member

😀 You probably don't know about the annoying head wind then? haha
    We should have a STW Ulverston locals ride

FoxyChick
    Free Member

davidt…I reckon Booths roundabout is a bit overrated TBH…I much prefer Myerscough myself, particularly with the new lights!
    And you missed out a quick tour of Lightburn Park…mind you, the gates in and out of the kids playground are a bit of a pain. 😉

alexxx
    Free Member

haha, good shout about myerscough's with the new lights you can blaze around, making qbrt's* a thing of joy

*quick burn around town

owencb
    Free Member

We should have a STW Ulverston locals ride

I'd be up for that providing it was at a leisurely pace 😮

alexxx
    Free Member

leisurely for sure, we'll have to restrain dave from blasting up the hill on his singlespeed 2x as fast as us all tho!
    busy for a couple of weeks with fort william and work so maybe in a few weeks time?

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Leisurely pace – may just convince me to get out on my bike for the… ahem… 4th or 5th time this year 🙁

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Rides near Ulverston’ is closed to new replies.