Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Rides around Pitlochry area
  • jimmy

Anyone know of a decent ride around Pitlochry way? 20 – 30 miles, good climbs & descents, good weather preferable…

EDIT: Oh, and riding Sunday if anyone else interested.

Gordy
    Free Member

Have you got OS Landranger 43 already? I don't see why you couldn't do Carn a' Chlamain from Blair Atholl, heading through Fenderbridge etc. to start with. That should be a good climb.

Or maybe a loop made up of Gleann Fearnach and Glen Tilt.

I've tried neither of these on a bike btw so you might want to look into it a bit first! No car this weekend and I've buggered the front brake on the bike so I can't come along.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

From car park in town, cross footbridge by Festival Theatre and climb to A9. Cross and head straight on past Middleton of Fonab farm. The climb carries straight on, past a stone circle to reach a brilliant descent into Strathtay (via the golf course…). Head R down the road until you get to a track leading up to Loch Derchulich. Carry on beyond the loch (steep in places) until it heads down (fast!) to Loch Tummel. Turn R and follow the road until you can get across the river by a footbridge (Jubilee Bridge?). Brilliant ST down to the River Garry, then head upstream to the Soldier's Leap in the Pass of Killiecrankie. Find a minor road heading under the A9 and leading to a climb onto Ben Vrackie. Follow this to the Bealach na Searmoin (marked on 1:25000 maps) and then you have 11 minutes to get back to the car via Moulin.

40kms, some brilliant riding. Sorted.

EDIT: would join you Sunday but off to SXC at Aberfoyle if I shake this **** cold

Gordy
    Free Member

If you go his way, take money for beer in Moulin.

ojom
    Free Member

Check your FB Jimmy.

I is ready.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

+1 for Stuartie's route. I think it's the Coronation Bridge over the Tummel.

jimmy

Stu_C – was hoping you'd add to this thread 🙂

Cheers, will hopefully give it a try. And yes, the Moulin will be recieving our cash.

druidh
    Free Member

Stu_C – do you have a GPS file for that route? Looks like there are a few options, especially at the Strathtay side.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I'll try that route sometime from my end (Strathtay). I avoid the Moulin like the plague. Overpriced, arrogant unhelpful staff, rubbish food. Even the beer is not as good as it used to be.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Not sure I do Druidh.

I had a lot of Memory Map routes plotted out but unfortunately in the move to the new PC I managed to lose the Southern Scotland area maps and Pitlochry is off the Northern Scotland map.

There's a faint possibility I still have a Garmin trace of the route (if I had it on that day) – I'll have a quick scan through the archives and email you anything I can find.

Having said all that, it's a pretty easy route to follow, the only tricky bits being finding the start of the track up to Loch Derchulich and finding the tunnel under the A9 which leads towards Ben Vrackie.

druidh
    Free Member

Could you have a look at this for me then??

Ta

stuartie_c
    Free Member

That's the fella.

Only deviation I can see is in the initial climb up from the A9 – you can follow the single dashed line all the way which avoids a fire road zig and zag. It's all nice ST which should be wonderfully dry by now.

househusband

Jimmy – thanks for the call; am trying to muster up some interest from others! Sounds like it should be a good ride so hope to make it along.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Rides around Pitlochry area’ is closed to new replies.