Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Ride near Woking?
  • onewheelgood

I’ll be working in Woking tomorrow and wondered if it was chucking the bike in the car and getting out for a ride after work.

Anyone recommend a reasonable 2 hours-ish ride in the vicinity?

hilldodger
    Free Member

Surrey Hills, Swinley and Tunnel Hill are all a short drive from Woking..

twunt
    Free Member

I worked on and off in in Bisley a couple of miles from Woking and always took my bike.

Lots of rideable woodland round Deepcut. If you head up toward Bagshot theres a big MOD off-road vehicle test track just before the M3. After 5ish its open access.

theotherjonv

Yes, it’s worth it and Tunnel Hill would be my suggestion.

I would suggest to park here – there’s a large layby where the arrow is.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=491857&y=155877&z=120&sv=491857,155877&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=722&ax=491857&ay=155877&lm=0

From there, head NE down the hill slightly (on road) to an obvious left turn which drops you down and under the railway. Turn left and follow this gravel road to a major turn on the left, follow this up a hill keeping the railway on your left and climb gradually right to the ‘ridge’ that runs NW to SE through the area (unmade Byway on the map)

This climb was part of a fairly recent Gorrick race so from this point you can still if careful pick up tracks which will lead you around a 4.5mile loop as a start. Or you can just ride around heading down likely looking paths. There’s loads up there and some real ‘not even hidden’ gems too. Majority is in the area in the bottom left corner of the linked map, but there’s enough all over to fill 2 hours easily.

onewheelgood

Thanks, that’s just the sort of thing I was after. I’ll probably head down there with the muni tonight (unless someone waylays me with offers of beer)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Ride near Woking?’ is closed to new replies.