• This topic has 143 replies, 53 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by will.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 144 total)
  • Ride London
  • plumber
    Free Member

Anyone remotely bothered about this?

I might head down for a quick spin

mossimus
    Free Member

I’m doing the 100 on the Sunday, really looking forward to it.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I’m riding the ton too, start time is 6.54… I’m so excited about riding up the Mall… Can’t wait!

mossimus
    Free Member

start time is 6.54

Me too. Race ? 🙂

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Yessss!! I’m aiming for 5hrs so I need to recruit some like minded riders… I’ll be on a grey/black Cervelo R5. You?

nickb

I’m doing it too, although my start isn’t until 8am so I can have a relative lie-in!!

I’m really looking forward to it. Over the last few days in and around London, thousands of road (pavement) barriers have been put in place across huge stretches of central London and out through Richmond Park – really makes you realise the scale of it!
    Should be a fun day out…

Nick

LHS
    Free Member

I will mainly be grumbling about how to get back into London in my car to my house as they are pretty much closing all the roads.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Going to be a looooong day for me, staying with a friend in Hazlemere (I’m from the NW) so we’ve booked a minibus to get us as close as possible then we’re riding in.

Christ knows what distance we’ll have ridden by the time we get out of there in the afternoon but I suspect it might be closer to 200!!

TiRed

The mighty Twickenham Cycle Club train will be out with six teams of four and another few soloists. The fast team leave at 6 and will be aiming for about 4hrs. I’m in the medium team and will be looking at about 5:30. Look for my Giant Defy Advanced SL or more likely, listen for the quacking hubs on the downhill sections.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Check out my recent post on the “So what do people look like” thread and say hi if you see me… I’ll most likely be in roady mode but haven’t ruled out the full on Katy Perry pink wig ensemble…

mossimus
    Free Member

Rider No: 19293 Red & White Trek 1.7. Heading off to the Excel shortly to register.

Gotama
    Free Member

Shibboleth – Surely the easiest way in from haslemere is to jump on the train to waterloo and cycle to the start from there?

brakes
    Free Member

not starting until 07:24, not aiming for a particular time as I reckon with starting late on there will be a lot of traffic. I’ve done the route a couple of times. done it in 6 hours solo.

I’ll be in red British Heart Foundation kit on a grey Kinesis Racelight.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m so excited about riding up the Mall..

I may ride home that way today to share your excitement!

Am very, very pleased to see London embrace such a massive bike event. Signs that cycling really matters. This is good!

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Shibboleth – Surely the easiest way in from haslemere is to jump on the train to waterloo and cycle to the start from there?

We’ll have to leave earlier than the first train. My friend has just booked us a hotel near the start so we’ll just have to take rucksacks…

What’s the deal with having bags transported to the finish?

brakes
    Free Member

they’ll only take your official kit bag that is supplied on registration.
    I’m off to register this lunchtime so can find out.

happyrider
    Free Member

Yep, a team of 6 of us doing it for Help the Hospice. Really looking forward to it. Staying in westham Hotel for ease of getting there, only a couple of miles from the Olympic Park.

I’ve never been to the park so I’m looking forward to that, also looking forward to riding in a big group on closed roads and taking it all in. I’ve stayed away from Sportives etc on open roads, it doesn’t sit right with me.. Should be a really fun day!

By the looks of it, you leave your stuff in a numbered Prudential specific bag at the park, it then gets taken to the finish for you where you can collect it.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Right, I’m booked in at the Premier Inn in Stratford… I’m just going to take some shorts and a t-shirt in a small rucksack that will go in the kit bag.

Very excited now!!

TiRed

I have a proxy registering me tomorrow, then will collect my bag and stay in a very cheap hotel near Stratford. Need to find something for dinner too, and breakfast at 5AM…

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I suspect it’s gonna be porridge pots and the Premier Inn kettle for breakfast!!

plumber
    Free Member

Is it possible to get to hyde park corner/grosvenor place in a big van?

or is it all shut down?

theflatboy
    Free Member

Was vaguely considering a London to Brighton jaunt tomorrow… this sounds like it’s going to get right in my way!

brakes
    Free Member

Is it possible to get to hyde park corner/grosvenor place in a big van?

check out the TfL site, they’ve got the road closure maps.

Was vaguely considering a London to Brighton jaunt tomorrow… this sounds like it’s going to get right in my way!

just join in with this ride…

theflatboy
    Free Member

You read my (friend who I’m riding with tomorrow’s) mind – change of plan, multiple laps of Ride London on the cards! Hopefully my chum will be up for getting there early doors so we can get a few rounds in pre-major busyness.

slimjim78
    Free Member

the ride will be whizzing right past my house in the surrey hills, ill be with my son cheering everyone on as they pass the green in Westcott – say hi if you see us!

I think ill bomb down to Leith Hill on my bike right after the amateur event to watch the pro’s go round 3 times. Anyone know the best vantage point on Leith Hill?

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I shall keep an eye out Slimjim! Sounds like a lot of people will be lining the route to give their support which is fantastic for an event like this… I reckon 100 miles will fly by. 😀

scud
    Free Member

I only got a charity place a few weeks ago, too late for hotel or proper car park space, so going to be driving down to london on the saturday to register and then finding somewhere near to start as i can to sleep in my van!!!

Anyone know what time the registation is open til at Excel??

happyrider
    Free Member

Hey Slimjim, a Fellow Westcott resident here. It’s going to be ace riding through the village with friends and family there! 🙂

mossimus
    Free Member

Just been and registered. Fairly small expo, largest part is funnily enough the Ride London souvenir stand.

Found a certain Laura Trott who was being interviewed on stage more interesting than the expo.

Was pretty empty but I guess to be expected on the Friday morning.

slimjim78
    Free Member

happyrider –
    Hey Slimjim, a Fellow Westcott resident here. It’s going to be ace riding through the village with friends and family there!

I have a feeling the support is going to be huge for most of the route, just the scale of the barrier and signage erection ive already witnessed demonstrates this.

Get in touch after youve recovered, I could use a guide for local trails!

happyrider
    Free Member

Sure, we ride at 6:30pm Wednesdays from Nirvana. You’re welcome to join. I rarely ride at weekends but a lot of the guys do. Google Dorking Cocks there’s a forum with details on.

Are you new to the area?

slimjim78
    Free Member

yes, new to the area – havent ridden regualarly for nearly a year so being introduced to Leith/Pitch etc has given me a rude awekening in terms of fitness!

I saw the Weds riders on the green last week, ill try to come say hi next weds – im sure itll be a few weeks yet before I can keep pace on the climbs!

brakes
    Free Member

I’ve just been and registered. Seems very well organised, which bodes well for Sunday.
    Unfortunately my riding buddy is starting 30 mins after me so I’m going to have to start and then wait for him to… they’re very rigid on start times…

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Anyone of to the show at Excel tomorrow?

brakes
    Free Member

oh, and the kit bags are a large drawstring carrier bag, about A2 size.

elliptic
    Free Member

I’ll be registering tomorrow around lunchtime, whenever I get over there.

6:31am start on Sunday. Got a couple of Somerset local riding mates doing it but on different start times so it’s highly unlikely we’ll actually see each other before the finish.

On the upside… perfect forecast and 20,000 riders on a mostly flat course. It’s gonna be quick 8)

NigE5
    Free Member

Another rider here 7-38 start time staying in a local hotel, so just light 3 mile spin down to the start.
    Riding for the Stroke Association in their team colours on a red Spesh Secteur second hand from Ebay!
    Going to get the train home to Guildford at the end.

mike_p
    Free Member

06.46 start for me, #6869 on a white Giant Defy.

Never done much more than about 70 miles in a day before although I recently did a 3 day Paris-London charity ride, so this is a bit of trip into the unknown. 6hrs would be good, but I ain’t racing nobody… 😉

slimjim78
    Free Member

perfect forecast and 20,000 riders on a mostly flat course. It’s gonna be quick

say that after 60 miles on your legs and hitting Leith/Box

🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 144 total)

The topic ‘Ride London’ is closed to new replies.