Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Ride it , Manual it. or jump it.
  • UncleFred
    Free Member

Here's a pic from an XC race I did this weekend, my technical skills need some work and I need a bit of a confidence boost. We had this bank to ride down on every lap and every lap I minced down it. Looking at this pic I'm amazed I didn't go over the bars. So I'm after some constructive criticism. Should I just ride something like this, manual it, or even try to jump it?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

MTFU and Superman seat grab it! Mad skillz

redthunder
    Free Member

Roll it.

And your peak has fallen of your helmet 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jam-bo

Pre-jump it, racer stylee…

IanMunro
    Free Member

Sorry, no idea!
    The bit of dirt 3 feet to the right looks a nicer option though 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

Ride it, but get yer arse off over the back!

grahamt1980

To be honest its the death grip on the bars that has probably saved you. One touch of the front brake and say good bye to your teeth.
    Would just say weight lower to your back wheel and further back.
    You should be able to move back and down which will lift (unweight) your front wheel when it gets to the bottom

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Wouldn't jump it. I'd keep it on the ground and try pump out of the bottom

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

pump out of the bottom

solamanda
    Free Member

Prejump and pump it for speed and control.

iDave
    Free Member

you're assuming that people on here actually ride…

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Roll it – manual it and you're likely to land on your ass. Jump / drop it if the transition, run in and run otu allow but from the photo you can't really tell but that would be a big drop to land.

I'd say roll it but as the guys above have said keep your weight back. I'd also rotate your brakes up a bit to stop you going over the bars – luckily your not using them in the photo.

doug_basqueMTB.com

rolling it is fine, your weight is just a bit far forward I think.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Jumping is going to depend on how flat your run out is…. jump to flat and your light weight xc bike won't be thanking you!

Pump it.

devs
    Free Member

I have a very similar drop on my regular route. I drop it unless I'm on the bike I would use as a "race" bike with the saddle at "race" height. The trouble I then have is that I can get over the back wheel but my baggies catch and then crush my nuts. So, in answer to your question, drop it but wear lycra!

midlifecrashes

Fair play to you for throwing the camera with the self timer going at just the right spot and still getting your hands back on the bars for the drop.

In the event that it was someone else taking the pics, what do their pics show the rest of the field doing? Looking at the pic though, there seems lots of scope for getting your shorts a lot closer to the tyre and the saddle into your midriff.

Disclaimer: I am not a good rider and you should not take my advice.

trail_rat
    Free Member

cant see the height but looks about 5 foot i suspect – could be wrong …

dont think your xc bike would look like much after 5 laps jumping that – to what looks like flat

if it was me id probably pre jump onto the downslope if its a fast section or just weight transfer if its not overly fast – you do look to have been carrying some speed

stevomcd
    Free Member

As above, roll it – but unweight over the lip and pump down it and through the transition for the free speed boost!

tails
    Free Member

I don't even think your weight is in that bad a position just looks like you have come into it at warp factor 11!! I'd either role it or if travelling at a high speed I'd drop it with the back wheel just tracing the trail if you understand.

tails
    Free Member

Cool photo by the way.

tron
    Free Member

I'd be pushing the front wheel down into it, then rubbing my knackers against the back tyre.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Prejump and land on the down slope if you can. (practice on something smaller tho)

or just roll it if you're more comfortable with that.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

pre jump before you get to the lip and land on the downslope, especially if its a longer drop.

Get to a bmx track asap 🙂

UncleFred
    Free Member

It was about 5 to 6 foot with a fast flat run in and the run out sloped away. I got faster on it on each lap just felt I could be doing it better. No chance of touching the brakes though.

Need to practice getting my weight further back.

AJ
    Free Member

I agree your not in a bad position for the slope your on, i assume that your body weight moved to suck up the transition?

The fastest way would be to suck up the lip and pump the down slope and then zoom away at a million miles an hour

midlifecrashes

The guy in the following photo to yours does seem to have weight further back and lower, though it might be a bit deceiving as he has the near leg back. No baggies to catch though.

Rider 402

jedi

1st thing, cover your brakes.
    look further along the trail.
    drop, or roll it. the choice is yours. if rolling it can you roll it by carving down it?

Filthy
    Free Member

360 off the lip ?

genghispod
    Free Member

I know what your problem is. Those XT wheels are too light, causing you to leave the ground at awkward moments.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

stop, review your line, pad up, um and haw, then walk it.

glenh
    Free Member

stop, review your line, pad up, um and haw, then walk it.

Lol. The standard STW method?

walla24
    Free Member

your peak has fallen of your helmet

lol

lean back 😀

Olly
    Free Member

your all wrong.
    the line is clearly just to the right of where the rider is spooning his way down the bank. take the longer route, it looks loads quicker.

i defy anyone who suggests prehopping that to ACTUALLY do it.
    the transition is far too sharp.

martinxyz
    Free Member

loving the ideas folk are giving you! pre jumping it lol.take a look at the conditions he was racing in along with the bike fs.

the seat is at xc height so its probably a good bet to slow down a little and stick to the ground a bit.carry on doing that and you`ll stress yer bike out. fine if yer riding a heavy duty bike with the seat down but its a bit on the edge by the looks of it. last thing you want to do is end up completely out of the race so i would slow it down a tad!

martinxyz
    Free Member

<makes note to remind himself to rotate his rear brake lever on bmx upwards to half his chances of going over the bars at the next race..

::rolls eyes and heads to bed::

Muddy@rseTony
    Free Member

By the look of the photo your weight was forward of the BB and as a result it looks like your back wheel was unweighted/lifting whilst the front tyre was under a lot of compression whilst the fork was not.

I'd do what Jedi says and next time look into the next section; let the bike sort it out, you obviously made it each lap so it must be ridable and you will move your weight back naturally if you pump the downslope for speed.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Looks pretty droppable to me if you can carry the speed into the launch.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Martin – I'm talking MTB and try it before commenting, you may like it 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

ok – ill remember that next time – you can only prehop on a "hardcore bike" …..saddle up doesnt make you rigidly stuck to the saddle – you can still get over the back wheel – the suggestion of pre hop isnt to hoick the thing 3 foot into the air – more to un weight the front wheel to a manual then flick the back up at the last min to match the down slope as the front end comes down , its one of my favorite methods of riding things like this – done right it looks stylish as **** , droping it just looks bullish and is gonna result in a busted bike in an xc race !

id love to see the state of my xc race bike after dropping that for a few laps – 24 spoke wheels ….. and the ops bike doesnt look much heavier duty !

bruneep

Just mince it, like the majority here would. 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Ride it , Manual it. or jump it.’ is closed to new replies.