Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Reverb proper service for grown-ups
  • luket

So – I’ve serviced my Reverb before using a Rockshox youtube video. It was easy enough, so I set about doing it again. The video seemed a bit different but – fair play, I thought, they’ve updated it – it was no problem last time – what could possibly go wrong…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxgUK3gC_Fk&feature=relmfu

Anyway, now I’ve gone too far into the full dismantle and I can’t get the bloody thing back together again. Aaargh! And I’m off to the alps in a couple of weeks…

So it seems I need a heap of tools which didn’t come with the basic service/bleed kits I have and seem to be only available from the US of A…
    – “Reverb seatpost bleed tool”
    – “Reverb oil height tool”
    – “Reverb IFP height tool”
    Anyone know where I can source these in the UK? I need them because I’m into bleeding the internals of the post rather than just the line.

I’ve got to the end of part 2 of the 4 part video series. I really should’ve seen the warning signs that only 21 people have viewed part 3… That and the unexplained acronyms. IFP?

Anyone done this before?? Any help gratefully – massively – appreciated!

And yes – I’ve emailed Loco tuning. Plan B is to send it straight to the nice man who knows what he’s doing…

Luke

Del

today, i had good coffee, a pain o chocolate, a pain o raisin, walked two dogs in the rain, one twice but second time in the dry, fitted a rebuilt rear wheel to the 5, a new rear mech and a cable, and a new set of BB bearings to the same, a bacon butty ( tiger bread and HP ), porridge with full fat and mixed fruit, a burger and chips, several pints of Sharp’s beer, an argument about physics with a Janner ( won, whether he’s prepared to admit it or not, and there was some considerable dispute ), and home-made curry with noodles.
    anyway. dropper post you say?
    😀

Del

ooh!
    pint? blandford flyer. don’t mind if i do..

mbarnes
    Free Member
    stevomcd
    Free Member

IFP = Internal Floating Piston

(sometimes independent floating piston – either way, you get the idea).

LoCo
    Free Member

IFP is an Iternal Floating Piston.

Tooling I need to speak to Fishers about, and those Amazon kits are more expensive than ours 😉

luket

Dropper seatpost indeed, Del. Well, it was one. Now it’s a surprisingly large number of o-rings and the like, all clean and many new but not all stuck together.

Simon/Loco – have dropped you an email. Would be eternally grateful if I could send it to you for a proper service and reassembly!

Luke

warpcow
    Free Member

In what way does an ‘X height tool’ differ from a dipstick and/or ruler?

wallop

Curry with noodles?

neil853
    Free Member

All that stuff is on Ebay, although I didn’t notice where it was, may have been form the US. You’re going to have to weigh this up. How often will you use the tools? Is it not worth the extra just to send it away and put it down to experience? 🙂

luket

You could perhaps bodge the height tool(s) but not the bleed tool.

I got to a place I dodn’t want to be so have booked it in for some professional help. I could see myself making a mess of this even with the tools so best off out of it. I know when I’m beaten (in this case!)…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

have you called fishers?

bigyinn
    Free Member

I have to ask, i’ve you’ve sucessfully done it before, wouldn’t you have realised this was going too far?

luket

Chose to send it to TFTuned – they can do it quickly (Simon @ LoCo is a bit busy this week) and I hear good things, so just went with them. It’s out of warranty anyway.

As Neil853 said, there’s little point in me buying the tools because ordinarily I’d only be doing seal services and hose bleeds myself – this internal stuff I would rather leave to the pros. I suspect it’s all rather sensitive in there anyway so there’s every chance I’d end up with poor results or endless hours of creative swearing in the garage. Cut my losses early!

A web search does come up with a few threads on how to do this but some difference of opinion and I don’t get the feeling it’s easy.

luket

Bigyinn – curiosity was maybe a feature as well! I was one of those kids who took things apart just to see how they work…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Reverb proper service for grown-ups’ is closed to new replies.