Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • Retro mtbing pics – post yours
  • clubber
    Free Member

I had a bit of a trawl through some old pics and found the ones below. Made me smile remembering some brilliant days out riding. Anyone else got any good ones from before Y2K to show how it used to be?

Big air on a really cold, snowy day at what we called our 'jump spot' in 1996 – note the Buffalo jacket and early-adopter Hope mechanical disc up front

Awful pic but a brilliant day out riding in Gower in 1997 with the guys from the bikeshop I worked at. One of many Gower weekends with top nights in Mumbles…

whippersnapper
    Free Member

me in 1994 somewhere near Welwyn

clubber
    Free Member

hey, that's when I started riding – proper old skool pic there 🙂

whippersnapper
    Free Member

that's Mardeley Heath that is. I still enjoy going back.

I forgot to mention – I see your Buffalo Jacket and raise you a tasteful Millets fleece 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

Suprised that on a site with an average age as old as this one (37.3 wasn't it 😉 ) that there aren't more…

hopster
    Free Member

Racing in 1990 on my old Klein Attitude at the Bath and West Showground.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Pffrt, old giffers.

*passes round the bovril*

clubber
    Free Member

You're the oldest young bloke I know ADH 😉

zangolin
    Free Member

1985 – Brinscall near Chorley.
    Posed for pic (local paper I think) after winning the Summit 6 MTB race. A young Andy Oldham in the background. On my trusty Saracen Conquest + in a skin suit!
    Whatever happened to Steve Wilde who had Summit Cycles in Blackburn?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Racing in 1990 on my old Klein Attitude at the Bath and West Showground.

That looks a bit later than 1990 to me…. ?? 🙂

Here's mine –
    All from the Malverns Classic, 1993

I taught SFB all he knows!! 😉

Rob Warner

Dave Hemming (I think) up near the Obelisk

Jez Avery

My brother's mate jumping out of the bomb hole

A scan of my Jo Burt original…. 🙂

simon_g

This is from 1996, one of the Whipstakes XC races. I assume I'd registered early to get that number – it certainly wasn't from past performance!

I found a whole album of pics from races/riding (mainly at PORC) from 95-97ish, must get round to scanning them.

hopster
    Free Member

Look at the date on the photo PP. I picked up the frame from Greg Oxenham who imported them and was also the commentator at the Malverns classic and lots of other races at the time. He also owned a chain of shops in London called Bike UK I think.

I had 2 Klein attitudes (greedy I know). I still have the receipt somewhere. Greg's import business was called chainsport. Still want to to tell me its later than 1990?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Look at the date on the photo PP

My aplogies for my dumbness. 🙂 I didn't realise Kleins came in that colour so early……

hopster
    Free Member

Look at the date on the photo PP

My aplogies for my dumbness. I didn't realise Kleins came in that colour so early……

I'll let you off seeing as you are the nicest person on the forum.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

PP that Dave Hemming photo wouldn't be Mr Peat would it?

RepackRider
    Free Member

Me in 1978

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Mr Repack, not a lot's changed has it, really? 😀 Just the details….. 😉

It could be. It looks like I might be wrong. Is that him in the front row in the Kona kit here?

Deffo Rob Warner on the right though…. IIRC JMC was there too somewhere.

glenh
    Free Member

Isn't that Dave Hemming behind Steve P?

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

ooohhhhh its like a rainbow! Lovin the disc drive, body armour and Lyrca… Going to have to break out the scanner when I get home.

Blower
    Free Member

nice pic repack..
    i had 1 on fotopic,cant find my account no more grr.

nickegg
    Free Member

I didn't even know what mountain biking was when most of those pictures were taken, as for repack's one goes i wasn't born for another 2 years!!!!

One things for sure, everyone looks like they're having fun no matter what they were riding.

mtbfix

Malverns 93! y one and only racing experience. I binned it coming out of that bombhole 🙁 Don't suppose you bought the video that year, did you?

mamadirt
    Free Member

Yeah, and the Jez Avery pic is Dave Hemming 😉 (Jez is in the yellow top looking on).

Mr Repack, not a lot's changed has it, really? Just the details…..

That'll be the length of the brake levers then . . . check those out 😯

tang
    Free Member

malverns! 1991 last time i went. flipping great time.

younggeoff

Yep Dave Hemmings on a fat chance by the looks of things

slugwash
    Free Member

Here's some shoddy retro mountain bike touring photos from the 1990s I've finally got around to scanning………

Dead Sea, probably Christmas 1989

Sinai April 1990

Picos de Europa, Easter 1992

Cantabria, Northern Spain, Spring 1993

Morocco, Easter 1994

Central America, Summer 1995

India, Autumn 1996

oxym0r0n

Air – 1998 I think – BMX track nearish to Swansea (note the saddle at full height!)

1998 Student Champs

I'm surprised I didn't see you out on the Gower Clubber??!!

metalheart
    Free Member

Ned from 98:

Tinker, ditto:

clubber
    Free Member

Oxy. Who knows, maybe you did. Gareth v-r was the one in the Ritchey jersey and grew up there so knew all the good trails. Keep meaning to go back some time.

richardk
    Free Member

Me circa 1993 at Plymouth. Previous year I had a lycra sharkfin on my helmet – not got round to scanning those photo's in yet…

jimthesaint

Repack Rider – Are you really Charlie Kelly? If you are it's nice to know we have MTB deity posting on here.

Oh and who'd win a fight between Gary, Tom and Joe?

simondbarnes

My first proper mtb ride back in '96

RepackRider
    Free Member

Oh and who'd win a fight between Gary, Tom and Joe?

All those guys can ride me into the ground, although a few years ago I beat Gary, Joe and Mike Sinyard in a computerized race on stationary bikes at a bike expo. To make the embarrassment complete (for them), I did it on a borrowed bike, in cheap street shoes with clips and straps, jeans and a t-shirt.

Of the three I ride with Joe the most, and he can still fly, up and down. So can Gary. I never ride with Tom, who lives some distance away, but I get reports.

If someone could put up a suitable sum to get those three to race each other, I would buy a ticket, because it would be plenty competitive.

scuttler

Charlie Kelly. Cool. Very cool. I wish I still had my 1988 Marin Palisades Trail.

If it ever gets warm, sunny and dusty again I'm off out in jeans, shirt and gardening gloves (but I'll still wear a lid and SPDs).

M

ampthill

Clubber great first photo

I thik I live my life a decade behind you

When I saw retro as the thread title I hadn't thought that discs and suspension would feature

I've worn my Buffalo top of that colour scheme in the last month!

I'll upload some photos soon

ctznsmith
    Free Member

I like the way Carradice bags haven't changed in almost 16 years 🙂

crazy-legs

Surprising lack of Bula hats in these photos so far… 😉

I'm just about old enough to remember most of it, I got properly into MTBing in 1993 when I was 16. Somewhere I've got some photos of me at Whipstakes Farm races, my mate on a fully rigid Marin with the matching purple forks and stem.
    May even have some of the early MBUK issues, the ones with parachuting bikes out of planes, doing the Wall of Death fairground ride on an MTB. Oh and Bula hats. 🙂

oxym0r0n

Must dig out the pic of my P7 with Girvin's on 🙂

mrfrosty
    Free Member

I love those old kliens hopster

tang
    Free Member

i have a bula cap in the shed. i will never wear it ever again. might wear my beanbag black and white polkadot jersey!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Retro mtbing pics – post yours’ is closed to new replies.