Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Removing Octalink cranks?
  • simon_g

I’m swapping frames and need to get my Octalink (few years old Deore) cranks and BB off one frame and on to another. I’ve done this before with the same cranks/BB and can’t for the life of me remember how to do it – my crank puller just goes down the middle of the axle.

Presumably there’s something I’ve lost which goes in there to give it something to push against, or must I have used a special tool? Is there something I might have around the house/shed that would fit in that space so I can use an ordinary puller? Bike shops are shut now and during the week it’d have to be mail order and waiting about.

ta,

Simon

johnners
    Free Member

There’s a little “top hat” thing that goes in there to give the puller something to push against. I’ve heard of people using 5p pieces at a pinch, but I’ve just buckled them when I tried.

johnners
    Free Member

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scaredypants

are you sure you don’t have self-extracting bolts ?

i.e. an “outer threaded ring” that goes on after the actual crank bolt & that you can undo against, pushing the crank off the axle

like these

johnners
    Free Member

XT came with self-extractors, Deore didn’t.

scaredypants

ewwwwww !

I feel all dirty now – posting on a Deore thread 😉

(mind, he did say he’d managed before but couldn’t do it with extractor so I just wondered… )

nostoc
    Free Member

5p bits do work – they buckle but they work

johnners
    Free Member

5p bits do work – they buckle but they work

I bottled out while I was still confident about getting the bugger out!

scareypants, you horrible snob! I know it’s a shame they let the hoi polloi post on here, but you should take a leaf out of my book it and pretend you don’t mind.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Removing Octalink cranks?’ is closed to new replies.