Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Removing Fox RP23 Bushing… at home
  • GregMay
    Free Member

Is there an easy way to remove the bushing without the specific tool at home?

Fox RP23 on an Anthem, have the new PU bushing here. The tophats are in ok condition.

Really don’t want to fork out for a single job tool. That I’ll use once a year.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Socket set & vice.

If no vice, socket set & monkey pliers.

LoCo
    Free Member

Get the tool or take it to our LBS as super quick job, cheaper than having to get a new eyelet fitted if you mess up removal/refitting. 😉

alfabus
    Free Member

get the tool.. it is pretty cheap and makes a ballache of a job really really easy.

Dave

sv

They are about £7 on ebay and make the job less of a fiddle.

GregMay
    Free Member

Gah… I hate when people make sense. OK, I can do £7, ones I found were about £32 which was a bit much for me. Thanks all.

LoCo
    Free Member

Just had a stainless steel tool manufactured and just put on the site, will last a lifetime, unlike the aluminium versions sold elsewhere for a bit more 😉

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

You really don’t need the tool, unless you are an utter neanderthal…

LoCo
    Free Member

UGG! 😉

GregMay
    Free Member

Neanderthal no, letters after my name and all;) Broke..yes. Will pop out to lads in LBS tomorrow, may trade beer for workshop time.

LoCo, thought you were taking a post baby break? Postage to Ireland possible on the cheapo?

LoCo
    Free Member

Have been back 2 weeks now, postage to Ireland £3, tool is £20 but is the last one you’ll ever need to buy, have another stainless one thats 10 years old and still like new, used daily.

WiretownMan
    Free Member

FFS: It has taken me more time to write this reply than to replace the bushes. If you have a socket set, find one that just goes over the bush and one that goes through the eyelet. Place in a vice and push the old ones out using the sockets. Simply push the new bushes in using a vice. Use vice guards to stop the vice damaging anything.

There is no need for a tool to do this unless you are doing it day in day out for a living.

Nobby

There is no need for a tool to do this unless you are doing it day in day out for a living

Or have no vice…. 😉

LoCo
    Free Member

The tool is usable with both a hammer or bench vice, being a press as opposed to the other type with a piece of threaded bar with plates and nuts, which are a bit of a faff to use IMO 😉

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Or have no vice

Use a bolt with washers through the middle of the sockets

superfli
    Free Member

I bought a tool off Kaesae after getting feed up with using socket sets, lpus the tool was cheap. Its on a thread, so dont need a vice.
    The best bit is I dont even need to take the shock completely off the bike. its really quick. 2mins, instead of 10mins, and possible fk up 🙂

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Funny how folk will spend £2,000 plus on a bike, £350 on a shock, but tut at the idea of paying a tenner for a tool to make their life a bit easier and avoid the risk of fekking things up (no matter how small).

The ebay ones with a threaded bar and plates are a bit of a pfaff, but do the job nicely (dont expect the little cartridge bearing thing to last long though…)

GregMay
    Free Member

agentdagnamit
    Funny how folk will spend £2,000 plus on a bike, £350 on a shock, but tut at the idea of paying a tenner for a tool to make their life a bit easier and avoid the risk of fekking things up (no matter how small).

*looks at the 4 year old Anthem he got for 200 Euro 6months ago*
    *looks at bank balance for an unemployed student*
    *decides if he wants food or a tool*

Not me then.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

unemployed student

Life choices I guess, I feel sorry for anyone without a spare fiver or so who has a bike to maintain, but I dont suppose there are too many on STW eating dog food. £7, the price of a couple of pints or access to the internet to post on a forum…

GregMay
    Free Member

Internet is free in Uni 🙂 But yep, could be a lot worse off. Maybe if I rode less things wouldn’t wear out…no fun in that..would negate the life choice then.

wurzelcube
    Free Member

I bought the BETD tool a few years ago – whilst not the cheapest option it works very well and all you need in addition to it is a hammer and a hard surface.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Once you’ve got the old bushing out, do yourself a favour and replace it with one of the new “five piece flanged bushings”. Don’t need a tool and Fox say last 10 times longer than the old DU ones…

Aristotle
    Free Member

Don’t need a tool and Fox say last 10 times longer than the old DU ones…

And less concern about the long-term effects of radiation?

As above, it really is extremely easy to remove and replace fox bushings. A special tool really is not needed.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Removing Fox RP23 Bushing… at home’ is closed to new replies.