Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • removing a singlespeed freewheel
  • juiced
    Free Member

which direction loosens this? It’s actually a bmx freewheel although i doubt that makes any difference, cheers

oxym0r0n

I’d have thought lefty lucy 😀

juiced
    Free Member

cheers. thing won’t budge.want to make sure i get the directions ok, before than hammer comes out!

allthepies
    Free Member

Well if the freehub undid by turning clockwise then that would be a pretty naff design wouldn’t it (if you actually think about it).

paulosoxo
    Free Member

allthepies – Member

Well if the freehub undid by turning clockwise then that would be a pretty naff design wouldn’t it (if you actually think about it).

I dunno, might make pedalling easier

juiced
    Free Member

yeah.

charliedontsurf

Always fun removing those stubborn sods. We keep a three foot long socket set handle lever thing in the work shop. And I have had to stand on the damned thing.
    Best of luck.

mmb
    Free Member

are you open tomorrow charlie?

charliedontsurf

Nah I am afraid I am on 600 yes 6 bloody hundred mile drive to Bolton and back.
    Back in the shop on Monday. Feel free to come in and we will bother that bastard off one way or another.

martymac

and you wouldnt dare pull it, in case the tool comes loose and batters you in the head.
    seen it happen, managed not to laugh until later, the guy who did it had a fabulous bruise the next day too.

mmb
    Free Member

bugger! i need a tugnut.

juiced
    Free Member

cheers. i am in the southcharlie so it would be a bit of a drive. thanks anyway.

thanks all.

funkynick

The hardest bit I found was being able to get enough pressure on it, without the tool slipping off the freewheel.

I ended up bolting the tool onto the freewheel using an old quick release and that allowed me to get a big socket/spanner on the end. That mean I could get enough pressure on it, and once I’d done that it came apart relatively easily..

_tom_
    Free Member

One good technique, if you have a bench vice, is put the tool in the vice and use the wheel as leverage to turn it. Other than that, big wrench and a massive bit of pipe.

juiced
    Free Member

bit of mallet action and it’s off!

epicyclo

I prefer the vice method. You can get more leverage IMO this way.

charliedontsurf

“Bit of mallet and it’s off”
    Not the epic struggle and escalating desperate measures we all expected (hoped for?)

juiced
    Free Member

yeah, vice method makes sense. haven’t got a vice though.

charlie, been down that road with a rounded isis crank bolt. bike shops wouldn’t touch it. I couldn’t do it / didn’t want to make it worst. However I then found one that would and they drilled/ punched it out turning it bit by bit.Thought it could have been the end for my lovely retro sunn. Success! Then I ordered some new Raceface ISIS bolts for the old raceface crank and signature bb and guess what they didn’t fit. The pitch of the thread was different, although the diameter was right. Eventually ordered a pair of FSA ones out of desperation and guess what they fitted perfectly. Turns out new RF ones had a strange thread to std….bikes you gotta love them 😉

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘removing a singlespeed freewheel’ is closed to new replies.