Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recommendations for a good HT for £1,000
  • MarkyMark
    Free Member

Hi, I am about to attempt a return to biking after several years off.

I have £1,000 to spend and would like any advice or recommendations on what bike to buy.

I want it for long trail and single track rides. A friend has recommended the Marin Rocky Ridge 2009, does anyone have any good or bad experiences with this bike.

Many thanks.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member
    Steve-P
    Free Member

Rocky Ridge (not familiar with Marin) looks a bit burly for long trail and singletrack. Especially with 140mmforks up front. Dunno… I’d go for something lighter – that won’t punish you on your longer runs. I have a 1999 TREK8900. and love it to pieces. The frame of the package is the most important bit, as you will upgrade/replace bits over the years. You get better value for money with the truly huge companies like Giant and Trek….

http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/mountain_hardtail/8_series/8000/

S!

ricochet_rob
    Free Member

Second the Rock Lobster

ricochet_rob
    Free Member

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td></td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From Merlin Rocklobster</td></tr></table>

ricochet_rob
    Free Member

Got there in the end !

djglover
    Free Member

I just got a whyte 905 for £750, if you can find one in the sale for £1000 or under still then they are a great bike, although at full RRP they weren’t very good value.

I love mine

steveh

I built myself a dialled bikes 853 Prince albert for about that with 36’s, hope wheels, x7/lx mix, juicy 7’s etc. Used forks but everything else was new.

Ed2001
    Free Member

rock lobster is good choice imo or maybe an orange p7.

silverside
    Free Member

rock lobsters are good all rounders and very good value but a slight bit harsh on the rear end.. i feel its half way between a race bike and a trail hardtail.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member
    SlowJohn
    Free Member

i had an orange P7 that was a great bike even considering buying another one now

Surfr
    Free Member

I just got a Merlin Malt 2 with full XT group, Reba Race forks and Mavic 727 Wheelset for a few quid under 1000. You’ll get a better price if you oerder online, but I was buying through Cyclescheme so was unable to get the final 10% off.

I’s not arrived yet, so no comments on the ride, but the components are fantastic value (totaled over 1200 quid without the frame when calculated on CRC).

mickster
    Free Member

How about a custom built On-One 456 Inbred. 2009 Revs with XT or SLX components. Now comes in a very nice shade of blue (gotta get me one of those)! You might even get a bit of change out of £1k!

james
    Free Member

I reckon I’d get one of these:

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bike/altitude_10

Or the next one up:
    http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bike/altitude_20
    The main difference being, the 20 uses a lighter weight set of tubes.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Third, fourth, fifth the Rock Lobster!

I love mine, such a nice little bike to ride. Got Rebas set at 115mm on; rides really well. Harsh back end? I have the 853 steel version, which is, if anything, less harsh than some other, heavier 853 frames. in fact, PeterPoddy felt it a bit ‘soft’. Perhaps a frame for light to middle weight riders. I’d say it’s definitely more XC than ‘trail’.

Value for money, I’d say it can’t really be beaten, speshly if you condsider Merlin’s cracking deals.

MarkyMark
    Free Member

Thanks to all so far, I maybe should have mentioned that I will be using the Cyclescheme so it looks like I may not get the best discount.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recommendations for a good HT for £1,000’ is closed to new replies.