Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recommend me…….in & around Cape Town please
  • strackbaz
    Free Member

I’m heading to Cape Town with the other half shortly, probably won’t get out on a bike much except for the cycle wine tours.

Spending half the time in Cape Town itself and the other in wine country (Franschhoek, Paarl & Stellenbosch).

Any hints & tips, recommendations of places to eat, see and do etc..??

Muchas gracias

thegreatape
    Free Member

Robben Island

phil.w
    Free Member

Any hints & tips

Be careful crossing the road!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpUKXCA4gkI[/video]

konagirl
    Free Member

Cape Town itself is quite a small city (or at least a small city centre because of the shape of the bay/mountain) and the suburbs don’t really have much in them. However, the bus tour gives a good overview of the city, its history etc. The tour of Robben Island is worth doing. If you wake up and the sky is clear, walk up Table Mountain – don’t plan it for a specific day in case the cloud is in!

Assuming you are hiring a car, if you are into wildlife, the penguins at Stony Point are lovely and it seemed a nicer viewing location than at Simon’s Town. Also the trip around the bay on the R44 is as pretty as Chapman’s Peak drive, IMO. If you drive to Cape Point, you will very likely see babboons and ostrich.

In the immediate area around the vineyards, its all about the wine (and brandy) with hiking in the nature reserves of the surrounding hills. There are some MTB trails near Klapmuts (here) but we didn’t use them so can’t comment.

Enjoy the hols, its a lovely part of the world.

headfirst
    Free Member

wine country (Franschhoek, Paarl & Stellenbosch):

places to eat: too many to mention! but as a family we always make sure we go to the Winehouse/Winhuis in Stellenbosch on our bi-ennial trips to see family. The wineries all have great restaurants, my siter’s friends are head chef and general manager of Bread and Wine which is on the Robertson’s estate (nr Franschoek) which is highly regarded. To be honest you can’t go wrong and for a good cheap night out Ocean Basket (a chain of restaurants) can’t be beat for value and taste!

EDIT: Book Robben Island online NOW to make sure you can definitely go.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

My wife has lots of rellies in Simonstown, they recommended Delheim in Stellenbosch – well worth a visit, the location & food were fantastic.

In Franschhoek I think the place we stayed was Le Baton Rouge, very nice and comfortable not expensive & great breakfast

stick_man

Had a great couple of weeks in and around Cape Town a few years ago. Good stuff I can remember:
    Driving & walking around the Cape
    Paragliding off Lion’s Head
    Day’s canyoning / rock jumping
    Few days in a hostel in Simons Town (not the height of excitement but v relaxing)
    Trip to townships
    Trip to Robben Island
    Vineyard tour
    Camps Bay beach
    20 mins Helicopter flight
    Table Mountain MTB downhilling*

*on extremely cr@p bikes

strackbaz
    Free Member

Gee-Jay – Member

Just emailed La Ballon Rouge as I haven’t booked that part of the trip yet…thanks for the heads up.

stick_man – Member
    Table Mountain MTB downhilling*

*on extremely cr@p bikes

Sounds awesome, although couldn’t talk the missus into that one. Going to walk up early & get the cable car down.

Thanks to the rest of you for all your ideas so far 🙂

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I can’t remember how far away it was so might not be a small drive, but I thoroughly enjoyed going to Hermanus on the coast to the east. The town itself is nothing special but the bay is a great place to spot whales. I had a humpback swim past the rocks I was sat on at the side of the bay.

Aside from that I loved EVERYTHING about Cape Town and the surrounding area. Knock yourself out, you’ll love it.

konabunny
    Free Member

EDIT: Book Robben Island online NOW to make sure you can definitely go.

+1.

<facepalm @ self>

-m-
    Free Member

Going to walk up early & get the cable car down.

We did that. To be honest, we’d have been better off walking back down. I thought it would be quite good to experience the cable car and see the view. Unfortunately the cable car experience involved being rammed in so tightly with so many others that you couldn’t physically move, let alone see anything.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

The misses and I have very fond memories of a fruit sunday thing they did for breakfast at Le Baton Rouge, well worth trying for a healthy mix of fruits, yoghurts etc etc

easygroove
    Free Member

TLC in simontown for brekkie/lunch

here if u want a very special dinner/night out…..one of the best restaurants i’ve ever been to

strackbaz
    Free Member

Just back from this wonderful place, I ended up getting a deal on the owners suite at the La Ballon Rouge and sampled those fantastic Sundays Gee-Jay…thanks for the advice. Spent 3 days in Franshhoek, most of the time stuffed & drunk from the fantastic food & wine. I even ended up on horse back doing wine tasting (and I thought riding you’re bike tipsy can be silly) 😆

Lot’s of Roadies in Capetown, and a lot of mountain bikers too, but riding 29ers on the road with lycra. 😉

It’s a great place and I fully recommend it.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Cool, glad you enjoyed it.. we certainly did

dantsw13

In Franschoek, you will struggle to beat La Petit Ferme

as both a vineyard, restaurant and accommodation.

batfink
    Free Member

There is a Peroni Catarmaran on the V&A waterfront that does “sundowner” cruises accross the bay…. worksout at a few quid a head for a 2 hour cruise, with as much sparking wine as you can drink.

Birds Cafe for breakfst

95 Keerom for dinner

29erKeith
    Free Member

for a proper chilled out day with stunning views try a day at the botanical gardens kirstenbosch, it’s on the back of Table mountain, just get a taxi. I’d take a pick nick if we were to go again. I’m not exactly Monty what’s is face of gardeners world but we loved it there nice after a busy busy few weeks travelling.

+1 sunset cruise from the V&A

harry’s pancakes next to the swing bridge on the V&A great for a late dessert/breakfast or even a whole meal

ostrich neck poikie (a type of pot/type of stew) at cape point was lovely

Stellenbosch for nice day out and some wine

Enjoy! I’m very envious, no hols this year 🙁

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me…….in & around Cape Town please’ is closed to new replies.