• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Recommend me some disc brakes
  • gibbo2507
    Free Member

As in title, so far im going for the "Avid Elixir 5". Any good or anything better for similar brass. Also im from road/cross backgroud and i prefer the levers to bite early.

Ta.

chilli
    Free Member

I've never really got on with avids but never owned any Elixir's,at the mo i've got shimano slx which have been great,,really low maintenance and easy to bleed,also got some formula oro's which are brilliant.Hayes feel quite wooden and they're pretty cheap on CRC! i've had El Camino's and HFX9 and had no problems with either.Hope this helps.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Had deores/hones/xt/xtr/juicy 5s, and new xt with servo wave.

All shimano have been fantastic, avids were good but temperamental and had sticky pistons!! Best so far – Shimano XT with servo wave – pad life is great, brakes are powerful and controlled 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

I love Hope brakes and their back up, availabilty of spares, ease of service, etc. I tend not to bother looking at other stuff now.

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

My Avis Elixirs are great…. Although Shimano are also very good…. And Hope are great oh and so are Maguras….

Pretty much anything if you are spending that kind of mula!

Good luck.

takisawa2

Have some old Shimano Deore's that have needed nothing but new oil. 100% reliable now for 6yrs.
    Also have some Juicy 5's. Again, no problems at all. And stupid amounts of stopping power also. (203/185).
    Would love some of those new Hope's, the ones with the "union-jack" pattern levers…mmmmmm.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

You should know by now that the answer is always Hope because: price/performance
    least maintenance
    easy bleeding
    great support
    good looks
    British

epicsteve
    Free Member

Given the choice I'll go with Shimano these days, although I've still got a couple of sets of Hope's that have been fine.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Extra 10% off at Merlin Christmas sale.
    Both SLX and XT looking attractive buys.
    I've now officailly fallen out with my Hayes Strokers on my HT so I'll be dropping in there at lunch time today to get some XT ones @ £180.
    ….Unless anyone can beat that price at the moment.

woody2000

I've used Formula, Hope, Avid, Hayes and Shimano brakes – Shimano have been without doubt the best in every aspect. Shimano FTW! 😀

allyharp

I'm so tempted to dump my Juicys for Shimano XT. Only thing putting me off is that they do Elixer 5s for about 60 less and that's a lot of money to me…

Pook

Recommend me some disc brakes

get some disc brakes. They are very good.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some disc brakes’ is closed to new replies.