Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Recommend me . . . an MTB instructor
  • Esme
    Free Member

I'm looking for the right combination of instructor and location, for a one-to-one coaching session. Intermediate-ish level (no, not for me – it's an idea for a birthday present!)

Instructor: someone who can really explain things, not just demonstrate and expect you to copy

Location: somewhere with a good skills area. We normally ride bridleways in the Peak, Dales and Lakes, so don't really know about the purpose-built stuff

And ideally not too far from Manchester

I'd love to hear your recommendations!

Many thanks,
    Esme

tinsy
    Free Member

Not sure where Jedi off here is based, but he gets rave reviews.

GaryLake
    Free Member

http://www.chasingtrails.com/ is over on the North York Moors
    http://www.great-rock.co.uk/blog/ Gisburn and just south of the Dales…

Both have a really good rep…

geoffj

Ed Oxley – Great Rock (www.great-rock.co.uk) is very well regarded and is local ish to you.

thomthumb
    Free Member

jedi

HOME

don't know how to recomend him highly enough other than i love biking even more than before.

mysterymove
    Free Member

Try Bob & Ally @ Campbell coaching, based in Ruthin, N Wales, they'll travel across to where ever you like or they'll suggest somewhere? They'll do everything from the basics to jumps and drops. Bob's real good at tailoring the course to suit skill levels and if it's a girls course Ally's awesome at inspiring confidence – and showing you thats girls can kick ass too ;o)

you should be able to mail them on this
    campbellcoaching@me.com

if that doesn't work mail me and i'll pass you on Bob's number…

Ben

dan1980
    Free Member

I did a group course with Ed Oxley, and he was a top bloke, very patient. His course changed my riding and really improved my confidence.

I'm planning on going on another course with him soonish.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

We've just this minute added dates for 4 skills days to be held in the Peak District ( Whaley Bridge area, rather than our base in Wales). Details can be found at http://www.forestfreeride.co.uk

Cheers
    stuart

neninja
    Free Member

No experience of him but I'm going to book a day with Ed at Great Rocks – based at Gisburn Forest and Lee Quarry – both an easy drive from Manchester

He seems to get a lot of decent feedback from people who've been on his training days

bongobiker
    Free Member

http://www.bigbearactive.co.uk are really good, based in pickering, Dalby forest & North Yorkshire moors on the door step. Plus great B&B.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Another vote for the man with the worlds largest beard…

Spot, on, patient, and really, really approachable.

You won't go wrong IMHO.

Same has to be said for Tony ( Jedi…)

( Apart from the beard of course….)

geetee1972
    Free Member

Nigel Page is very good with all levels of rider, from beginner to world cup level DH racer. He is particularly good at transfering what he knows to other riders so that they learn new skills. He is based on the Wirral and travels to his clients, although you end up paying travel costs.

Nigel Page Racing

Esme
    Free Member

Wow – thank you for your brilliant suggestions!

I think we'll try Ed Oxley and Gisburn/Lee Quarry for now, but I'll treat myself to a session with Jedi later in the year

Must admit, I've been put off MTB courses by a bad experience on a Beginner's course a few years ago. I don't want to be too specific, as I'm told the instructor has improved since then

However, the location (a popular MTB spot) didn't really have the right range of "challenges" for instructing. And the instructor was determined to impose his standard "syllabus" on me, even though I was struggling. Also, I'm not very good at just watching then copying, and he didn't seem to like explaining things to me first

Perhaps he also remembers me as a "bad experience" . . . but it shouldn't have been like that

Anyway, thanks for all your ideas!

RayMazey
    Free Member
    Bunnyhop

Esme – I can really recommend Emmy from the RayMazy thread (above).

erny
    Free Member

Me and a mate did a course with Ed from great rock,he was very good and would highly recommended him

Bushwacked
    Free Member

A good teacher should work with you rather than getting you to do what they want. Lets hope it was a one off.

From experience I know Jedi will tailor it totally to you and your riding. I'm not so sure about the others since I've not been on their courses but I like to think they will be similar.

CampbellCoaching
    Free Member

Hi,
    No drama but if you decide to not use Ed then give us a call or drop us an e-mail and we can see what we can sort out for you both. We have a great venue in Stockport too if you don't want to travel too far.

Bob & Ally Campbell

Wookster

Hi Mate just posted on the Uk bike skills Jedi course I have been on. I agree with thom thumb mate amazing copurse go for it mate just brilliant!!

speaker2animals

I think Cycleactive do some one to one training as well as the group stuff. I did one of their weekend courses and would recommend them.

speaker2animals

Just checked and they do run personal instruction. Penrith area.

jedi

thank you for the recommendation guys 🙂

toys19
    Free Member

I'll add one for Jedi, it was 2 months ago and I have found I am enjoying my riding so much more and doing more jumps. Best upgrade ever.

Muddy@rseTony
    Free Member

+ I'll add another one for Jedi

FuzzyWuzzy

+ another for Jedi, especially for the "someone who can really explain things" requirement, well worth the extra distance to travel to him.

scant
    Free Member

If you fancy a trip to south wales/cwmcarn area http://www.cwmride.co.uk

brooess
    Free Member

http://www.cycleactive.co.uk/courses.html

2nd for Cycleactive. Ask for Rich. He's very bothered about you having a good time and learning something. Very nice guy, very understanding and encouraging. Did amazing things for me after a couple of bad falls knocked my confidence. Based in the Lakes.

Bunnyhop

campbell coaching – where is your Stockport venue?

teagirl
    Free Member

sturider.co.uk
    He's fab and been riding for years so has huge experience. He's from my LBS and recently started up his own thing and will tailor make something just for you. Based in Skipton.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me . . . an MTB instructor’ is closed to new replies.