Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Recommend me a wheel jig!
  • kevin1911

Now that I’ve become semi-competent at bike maintenance, I’ve decided it’s time for me to confront my final challenge – wheel building. Well, wheel-truing to be more precise.

Being an engineer (electronic) I very much like to have decent tools. Being a Scotsman I don’t want to spend a huge wad of cash.

So what would the STW lurkers recommend? I’ve discounted the idea of building one myself owing to time and material shortages.

Looking forward to some suggestions.

uplink
    Free Member

The Wheelpro one

Details here
    http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

kevin1911

Thanks. That book should be handy, but think I’d rather avoid building a jig to be honest. As mentioned, I don’t really have the time to be sourcing the materials etc…

kilo

Use one of these;

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/11798/Park-Tool-TS8-Home-Mechanic-Wheel-Truing-Stand.html

and cheaper here

http://www.fatbirds.co.uk/detail.asp/sku=mad-QKTS8/Park_Tool_TS8_Home_Mechanic_wheel_truing_stand_maximum_axle_width_170mm

happy with it, works ok, flip the wheel to check dishing, feels solid and stable. Make sure you get a decent spoke key too.

R.lepecha
    kevin1911

Thanks for the Minoura tip. My googling had uncovered the Minoura Pro Wheel Stand, but I couldn’t find one for sale anywhere. I guess it must have been replaced with that one you’ve linked to. Seems like a pretty good set-up. Same ballpark price as the Park one too.

Hmmm, which one should I go for….

Waderider
    Free Member

I work in a bike shop with a wheel truing stand similar to the Minoura one (specifically, a Park jig). The problem with the design is that the indicator fork isn’t very good to sight with i.e. it’s not so easy to judge fine trueness. The wheelpro design is much better, although the photo above doesn’t show the longer parrallel sighting surfaces.

Or use an engineers clock gauge on a bought stand, which is what I do.

pickle
    Free Member

just use the frame of a bike (bang it in the reat dropouts) or turn a pair of old forks upside down in a vice and use those

kevin1911

Decided to go for the Minoura True Pro 2 – and if anyone else is following this thread with interest, rosebikes.co.uk are going the stand for £71.85 posted, a good £15 less than anywhere else I could find.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I’m off now to find out what an engineers clock gauge is 😉

Dr_Bakes

I notice that the Minoura stand isn’t suitable for 15mm or 20mm axles? Does anyone know if there there any similar stands that will cater for all axle types, or is there a workaround?

rootes1

you can buy or make through axle to normal QR axle shape so you can use normal stands

kevin1911

Dr_Brakes – that was a concern for me, but fortunately all my 15mm and 20mm hubs have QR adapters. I think some of the more expensive jigs have posher centraling mechansisms. Actually, the Park tool linked to above looks like it might work with most hub types…

roger-m
    Free Member

The stand shown in the above photo (by uplink) will handle 15/20mm front hubs plus bolt through rears without the need for any additional adapters. It’s what I use.

Speshpaul

My Wheelpro stand cost £1.55. Thank you Roger. Great book, Great stand.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

Can’t beat the park ones IMO… Got mine on American eBay for much cheapiness, though through axle adapters and adjustable base were extra costs… $260 all in if I recall 🙂

barrykellett
    Free Member

wheelpro FTW

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a wheel jig!’ is closed to new replies.