Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Recommend me a watch
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I was walking down Wetherlam last night and slipped and lost my watch. Im gonna go and have a look for it tonight but supposing I dont find it (Im hoping i do) Im going to have to buy a replacement.

Budget, maybe upto £80, going to look for ebay bargains etc.

Quite fancy the look of a G shock but dont have a clue which the best models are.

What would you recommend?

warton
    Free Member

for that budget check out:

Werners Flying Watches

Its a great site, lots of designs, and very good value for money IMO

nickc

Anything by Casio. Just keep going no matter what, then when you bust it, it's no biggie

vinnyeh

Silvermans for plain and understated..

simon_g

Seiko or Citizen automatic at that price. Lots to choose between, from the sellers in the far east on ebay (they don't seem to offer their budget autos here).

Or if you just want something that will tell the time, G-Shock I guess.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Ta for the replies.

Forgot to say, my watch is a Citizen Eco Drive

Not quite sure what that means but I know Ive never had to replace its batteries.

Something like that would be good

clubber
    Free Member

I got a Citizen Eco-Drive for £85 (argos sale) which normally costs about £150 – it seems very tough and I haven't managed to break it yet which is good going since every other watch I've had died after a year or so…

clubber
    Free Member

LOL – good timing on my reply 🙂

Del
    MTT
    Free Member

CWC G10

psling
    Free Member

My watch packed up some time ago. For the first few days I was totally lost without it but now I don't really miss it and am even wondering whether to bother replacing the battery or not.

Surprised no-one on here has asked how you managed to slip and lose it though… 😉

Keva
    Free Member

I've got a clock on my mobile phone… and if I can't be bothered to take it out of my pocket to check it's really not that difficult to guess the time of day.

who needs a watch, for what purpose ?

K

BigJohn

Timex Ironman. That's my do everything watch. Cheap enough not to have to worry losing it, or getting it nicked (unlike my best watch, which is worth more than my car).

simon_g

Eco Drive is solar powered quartz so it will go on working as long as it gets some light. Good for everyday wear if you want a quartz as it shouldn't ever need batteries.

Automatics are mechanical watches that use an off-centre weight inside to wind the mainspring – hence the wearer's movement keeps it going. There are quartz watches that use a similar idea to generate electrical power for the movement, Seiko Kinetic and the like.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Simon,

If you're the Simon I think you are, what did you get in the end last year when you were looking at Christopher Wards?

traildog
    Free Member

who needs a watch, for what purpose ?

You don't even need a mobile phone. I used to live with no time keeping device at all and you soon learn to tell the time, with accuracy of about 15minutes. But sometimes you need to be more accurate and if you've got loads on, your time keeping can faulter.

I use my phone to tell the time, but a watch is far more convenient, especially if you have your hands full. A good example of when a watch is useful is when I'm doing a ride on my way to work. I want to know the exact time so I know to get to work on time. A mobile is pretty useless for this.

Ewok
    Free Member

Plus it is not always polite to look at your phone.

simon_g

I am that Simon, yes.

I got a Citizen Promaster divers (NY0054) which cost a whopping $132 delivered, or about £80. It's auto, titanium, day/date, not stupidly big like most divers and has the crown at 8 which is ace as I'm left-handed and wear it on my right wrist. Very happy with it and it keeps great time.

http://chronograph.com/store/catalog/products/NY0054-04EE.jpg

My mate got one of the CW divers and that is very nice too, quartz though and a bit on the big side for me.

I also got a Seiko SNK809K2 for 30 quid delivered a bit further back (probably when you were thinking of) – I have that on a leather strap for smarter occasions. Also auto, day/date and even has a display back so you can watch the springs and cogs moving about. Very happy with that too.

http://www.chronograph.com/store/catalog/products/SNK809K2.jpg

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

why do you need a mobile phone, i changed phones about 3 months back, been quite liberating having a new number that no one knows, just check the old one once a day when i get home and sort out any urgent missed calls.

If you feel the need to get your phone out at every oppertunity, to the extent of not wearing a watch to justify this, I suspect you have an IPhone.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Just got back in after trying to retrace my steps down Wetherlam. Probably the rainiest night of the decade, nearly got washed away in a river but we managed to find my watch which was tricky because our route was pretty much just straight down the side of the mountain.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions but they arent needed at the moment thankfully

cranberry
    Free Member

Casio do a radio controlled solar powered watch for that sort of money – doesn't need adjusting and doesn't need a battery change.

I've used mine biking/camping/working on my Landy and after 18 months it still looks fine.

Flaperon

Can heartily recommend the Seiko Flightmaster. £70 from Hong Kong via eBay, arrived within 3 days and hasn't put a foot wrong in 2 years. I even use the slide rule on the rotating bezel quite often.

epicyclo

My next watch is going to be one of these

Just an hour hand and the date, all I need.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh, shit hot. Remove the minute hand and win a design award, probably for an 'out of the box, simple, contemporary design' when in reality it makes things much more complicated cos you probably have to spend about half an hour trying to work out what time it actually is

trailmonkey

Whatever you get, buy something with a sapphire crystal face. Sounds very expensive but it's not. Just means that the face will be really scratch resistant and you'll still be able to see the time in 5 years.

epicyclo

davidtaylforth – Member
    …it makes things much more complicated cos you probably have to spend about half an hour trying to work out what time it actually is

really?

BlingBling
    Free Member

http://www.theonewatch.com/index.html

Swiss replicas, take your pick 😉

binners

epicyclo – I have to ask – do you generally tend to be punctual? if all you need is an hour hand?

I'd just go with a G Shock. My last one went for just short of ten years before I smashed the casing in one of my usual riding 'incidents'. I just bought another and expect it to last about the same.

To my knowledge it hasn't won any design awards though. But it does tell you the correct time to within the nearest second. As opposed to the nearest hour 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

Casio G-SHOCK is the way forward, you can get real nice looking ones that don't look out of place with a suit, but you can bounce them off rocks and they just keep going.

As I have a penchant for trashing watches, G-SHOCK is the only way for me now

BlingBling
    Free Member

You would really wear a Gshock with a suit?

You'd have your Oakleys on too wouldn't you, go on admit it :mrgreen:

simon_g

Probably preferable over a dodgy fake anyway.

steve_b77
    Free Member

BlingBling – Member
    You would really wear a Gshock with a suit?

You'd have your Oakleys on too wouldn't you, go on admit it

Nah i've got this one, rather respectable for a G-SHOCK

epicyclo

binners – Member
    epicyclo – I have to ask – do you generally tend to be punctual? if all you need is an hour hand?

I have built my life around not being pressed for time. 😀

All I need is an hour hand, and the date is useful because I often don't know what day it is.

It's a much pleasanter way to live.

Step1. Don't live in a city…

Maybe I should write a book – my friends are envious.

marsdenman
    Free Member

epicyclo – liked that idea so much I looked up their website – here's a link to something to amuse and save a few quid – time will be accurate once a day and best not worn on the rain…. 😀

redthunder
    Free Member

Argos £89

Rich
    Free Member

You can tell the time to the nearest 5 minutes or so on the watch with no minute hand, so not too bad.

I've recently bought this for £45, rrp £150.

epicyclo

marsdenman – Member
    epicyclo – liked that idea so much I looked up their website – here's a link to something to amuse and save a few quid – time will be accurate once a day and best not worn on the rain….

Wish I'd thought of that 😀

hora
    Free Member

I recommend Suunto. I have a S6 and a T3:

hora
    Free Member

Binners- I will round at 12.30- need to get my bike in etc if thats ok?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a watch’ is closed to new replies.