Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Recommend me a razor & blades
  • nacho
    Free Member

As per title really, apparently STW is the place to come for shaving advice!
    I want to ask for a razor for Xmas as I currently use Gillette Mach III turbo and it’s so expensive for the razors.
    I have a fairly tough beard and sensitive skin (skin rash from razors etc) if that helps with advice?
    Also any pointers shave soap/foam/gel would be appreciated

cheers guys

honourablegeorge

Clinique shave gel is the best I’ve used.

And all Gillette razors do more or less the same job, buy the cheapest.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

try here

Get a nice badger brush, Murkur razor and blades, and some quality shaving soap

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I am finding that the Gillette Hydro 3 is lasting well with blades and can shave pretty quick with it.

Bought a DE razor but cannot seem to not nick myself with it, and it takes too long as well – if I added up the extra time it takes I could probably been round the Surrey Hills on the mtb a couple more times instead before I popped my clogs.

(I put a bike reference in as this is the bike forum…)

nickf
    Free Member

Razor

http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/traditionalshaving/_MER-90500001/268141/Progress-Adjustable-Safety-Razor-Chrome

Blades

http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/traditionalshaving/_FEA-BLA-10/270334/New-Hi-Stainless-Razor-Blades

I use the above combination and, after a couple of exceptionally ‘Scarface’ days, am now completely converted and would never go back to the 5-blade specials. The razor I use is adjustable from ‘bloody safe’ to ‘extremely bloody’ and you basically get used to what you can/can’t do over time.

[Edited to say: it DOES take longer than with a Contour/Mach 3 type thing – try to rush and you’ll either slice yourself badly or end up with awesomely awful razor burn.]

The blades are a personal thing, but I find Feather to work the best for me, changed after about 4-5 shaves. I bought a 200-blade pack for about £20 on eBay, which will last me several years.

Shaving cream? I’m happy with a traditional pot from Body Shop, and have a pretty average £10 brush. Others will tell you that a hand-knitted badger-hair brush, captured at midnight (by a bloke in a forest who also welds Ti frames) is necessary…all I can say is that I don’t need to.

For post-shave balm, I recommend Proraso – I have a pot which has lasted 2 years or so

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Proraso-Shave-Cream-Ultra-Sensitive/dp/B004AEOC1U/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1320158590&sr=8-9

Stoner
    Free Member

+1 nickf.

progress is a good razor to get if youve not DE’d before as you can wind it back from “Sweeny todd” to “Desperate Dan” depending on your penchant for blood 😉

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

That’s almost the same Merkur as I use, very good it is too

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, and I drive a Model T Ford, cycle in tweeds and smoke a pipe, me.

nickf
    Free Member

Yeah, and I drive a Model T Ford, cycle in tweeds and smoke a pipe, me.

Thing is, there are barrowloads (a technical term) of people on this very forum who get, frankly, a bit too excited at the thought of rigid singlespeeds. So to poke fun at people for being a bit retro is a case of Mr Kettle & Mr Pot bumping into each other at a party for non-shiny things.

Me? I get a better shave with a real razor and a real blade. It takes a bit longer, and it requires a little more technique, but for me at least, the result is better.

OK, I also ride a singlespeed, but that’s quite another matter….

DezB
    Free Member

You make it sound very much like singlespeed shaving… slower but requires better technique… 🙂

I find shaving a daily chore and cycling tremendous fun, which is where I believe the differences lie. ie. one of them I just want to get over and done with as quickly as possible.

😉

philconsequence
    Free Member

ahhh it sounds like we have similar riding technique there Lethal-Dezzle! get taken into the woods by yeti and then lie back and think of britain hoping its over nice and quick.

nickf
    Free Member

Yeah, singleblade, none of your nancy-boy 14-blade skill compensator here.

Of course, my blades are hand-ground using unicorn tears and moonrock, but some things you just can’t compromise on.

D0NK

I was going to point out this is on the bike forum but nickf and Dez have brought it nicely back on topic. well done 🙂

Freester

I used to have awful problems with ingrowing hairs.

Someone recommended to me – try a ‘traditional’ DE razor and blade.

I wouldn’t look back now.

Started off to try it with one of these from Boots.

Before buying myself something nice from here.

Shaving with a DE Razor is all about the technique. Plenty of info / videos online.

nacho
    Free Member

Woops if I put this in the Bike Forum, maybe I’ll try shaving as I ride? And shaving is no good for singlespeeders as they all have beards! To be fair they all seem to be quite quick as well (or is it just that I’m slow)

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Thing is, there are barrowloads (a technical term) of people on this very forum who get, frankly, a bit too excited at the thought of rigid singlespeeds

sounds like there needs to be a shaving Hitler video – or have I missed one?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Merkur progress for a razor, the longer handle version.

Blades, everyone has their favouries, can’t even remember what brand I’m using at the moment, begins with A and and pretty good, tried some of the sily expensive blades and while they’re very sharp however cafefull I was they just cut my skin and go blunt between weekly shaves anyway.

Sodajim

If you do go down the DE blade route its really important to try as many blades as possible. They really are quite a personal thing to suit you skin and beard.

I tried the likes of Feathers, Merkur, Gilletts etc etc and still keep going back to the fairly cheap Turkish Shark Chrome which seem to give me the best shave.

Most online shops sell multi trail packs so you can try a few.

Same with soaps, done the fancy ones but currently really enjoying a Palmolive shave stick which is peanuts!

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I can’t quite believe* how a simple thread about shaving on STW has all gone a bit… No-I-really-am-more-gnar-than-you.
    * Well, actually, I can. It’s to be expected really, isn’t it.

nickf
    Free Member

no_eyed_deer, I’d not take it quite so seriously.

I mean, I can talk to people who shave with multi-blade contraptions. I can respect them, as I hope they respect me. And, after all, the way you shave is just the way you are, right? To think badly of someone just because of their shaving equipment is frankly razorphobic. I mean, it’s not as if it’s some sort of lifestyle choice, it’s all about genetics and the way you were brought up. But even at an early age I knew I was attracted to double-edge razors, despite my father’s electric shaving fetish.

That said, I think most of us would admit that we have a problem with those who mostly use a real razor but occasionally dabble with the multi-blade world.

TheFlyingOx

I have the same sensitive skin as OP. Recently got the cheapest Edwin Jagger safety razor and some Feather razor blades. It’s quite nice indeed, and give it a month or so and it will have paid for itself vs replacement Gillette razor heads.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

If STW had an emoticon for :wrysmile: I’d have used it.. nothin’ serious here, dude.. 😉

nacho
    Free Member

Cheers to The Flying Ox and Freester, might try a cheapo Boots one to see if I get on with them then try the Edwin Jagger/Feather combo – I presume neither of you guys are SS? 😉

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a razor & blades’ is closed to new replies.