Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Recommend me a new desktop computer……………..
  • toxicsoks
    Free Member

……………..that doesn’t cost the Earth. Been warned off Dell, have been looking at Mesh – other suggestions would be welcome. Please note that as far as IT goes I am an utter numpty and the mere mention of ‘gigs’, ‘RAM’ or ‘cache’ causes my mind to wan d e r. Er, what did you say??? 😕

geoffj

iMac
    …or Samsung NC10 and an external monitor. Best of both worlds!

Now – what do you want it for?

geoffj

surfer
    Free Member

Dell’s are fine, not sure why you have been warned off them I dont buy anything else for the company I work for.

Having said that if its for home use I would buy a laptop with a nice big screen that gives you the option to move it around a bit if you need to later.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

iMac.

Or, MacMini, if you already have screen, keyboard, mouse etc.

Seriously, if you are, as you say, an ‘utter numpty’ with IT, then a Mac would be a safer bet than a PC.

Tell you what, go down to an Apple Store, or more easily, PC World, John Lewis’ or somewhere that stocks Macs, and have a look at the iMacs. Get someone to show you round it.

And then tell me you don’t want one. 😉

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Required for general t’internetness, report writing/presentations, dowloading (films/audio)and (a big AND) supporting sons graphics work (National Diploma Level3) – I know everyone is going to scream MAAAAAAAAAAAACCC!! but I can’t afford one and he does the majority of his work at college – it’s just so he can mess around with ideas at home. Games will NOT be played!!!

fisha
    Free Member

buy a second hand mac then if it needs to be a mac …. most PC’s even second hand will manage all of the above. My 3yr old laptop runs vista and photoshop apps without too much fuss.

Surfr
    Free Member

If it is at all possible, get a Mac. There’s a reason that people are such hardcore advocates of Apple computers. They are above and beyond. Mac Mini is a good idea, or a 2nd hand iMac.

silverside
    Free Member

This would do fine….

http://www.meshcomputers.com/Default.aspx?PAGE=PRODUCTVIEWPAGE&USG=PRODUCT&ENT=PRODUCT&KEY=468187

comes with Microsoft Works, a decent sized screen and hard drive, and plenty powerful enough.

you could get something cheaper second hand which would suffice, but would not have the peace of mind.

freddyg
    Free Member

What’s your budget?

I’ve got a few machines at home; an eMac, old laptop running Linux (Ubuntu), Pc running XP Pro and a new(ish) Dell PC running Vista.

All have their uses but for day to day use I generally choose the laptop or the Vista box.

Don’t discount Dell, they are pretty good value (as are Mesh). This page lists the current Dell offers

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Budget?? 500 squid(ish), if pushed. Rather spend it on a set of Revs and a new wheel set……………….. 😥

RudeBoy
    Free Member

You could get a Mac Mini for that.

Mac Mini not too spensive

I’m assuming you already have a screen, keyboard etc? And get the one with the superdrive, as the ‘combo’ one can’t burn DVDs (come on, Apple, sort it out. The only weakness in an otherwise great product).

Re graphicky type stuff: My students who use Macs, have far less issues than those using PCs. In fact, a good chunk of my time is pent trying to sort out things on the PCs.

Not fanboi, just experienced observations.

Humphry
    Free Member

i would get an apple (if I was buying again) – I am sick to death of my Dell and Vista!!

surfer
    Free Member

Rudeboy, what size screen do you get with that?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Oh, and re the Games thing, well, not so many are available for the Mac, which I would imagine might be a selling point, for you!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

surfer; as big as you want 😉

surfer
    Free Member

At cost?????

You MAC evangelists! 😉

toxicsoks
    Free Member

RB – would have to include screen and k/board. Current screen is a Jurrasic CRT that takes up more room than a mini bus – the keyboard is rather ‘creaky’ too. 🙁

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Silverside – I’ve been considering that Mesh PC – once again have been warned about the ‘integrated graphics – pants’, the PSU (300w) and the processor. Upgrading that lot takes the price closer to £600!!!

Ewok
    Free Member

I’d hold off on the mac mini for a while, very over due for an update.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Anyone anymore thoughts on that Mesh PC from Silversides link??

jimmy

don’t buy one, upgrade if possible. did i ever mention the story of stuff?

*whistles off*

toxicsoks
    Free Member

The story of stuff?? No, you didn’t.The current 6yr old PC is beyond upgrading, BTW.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with Dells. I used to buy Sony but the Dells have been better. The studio line of desktops are nice bits of kit.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a new desktop computer……………..’ is closed to new replies.