Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Recommend me a lightweight backpack 45-50l
  • Rich
    Free Member

Thanks.

Im considering a Berghaus Arete 45, Lowe Alpine Airzone 45, and maybe even a Golite Jam.

What do you recommend?

Dont want to spend more than £70 max, ideally more like £50.

mrmo
    Free Member

would have said a Macpac Ascent/Pursuit but at the price i don’t think that’ll be an option.

boblo
    Free Member

what’s it for? The Golite stuff is more superlightweight backpacking territory, the other two climbing/mountaineering.

If s/l, OMM do some nice l/w kit and Golite have another couple in their range worth a gander. Should be able to get near/below 1kg without too much grief.

Rich
    Free Member

It’s for lightweight backpacking/wild camping, couple of nights out at a time.

Yeah Ive sen the Villain, and Vapour Trail, all look like good bags but as its the first bag of this type I will have bought, I was hoping for some recommendations.

Prob cant go wrong with any mentioned tbh.

grahamb
    Free Member

It’s bit bigger than what you’re looking for, but i’m liking my Gregory Z55.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m very much impressed with Osprey kit at the moment.

db

I have 2 golite packs I got from http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/default.asp

Love them! The Jam is just right for a bivi. Use a camping mat as the back padding and stuff the rest in. I have a larger one as well which is huge and hardly gets used because it’s just too big. Would have to be a long multi day unsupported trip just to fill it up!

Despite lots of use the Jam is holding up well. Only downside on mine is a lack of pockets to suff odds and ends in. Just noticed the latest version has corrected this with some pockets on the belt.

Overall recommended (no connection to backpackinglight by the way but they are nice people to deal with).

db

boblo
    Free Member

Here we go then….

Full on l/w backpacking (tent, sleeping bag, mat, cooking gear, food, spare clothes, waterpoofs etc), you’ll need 45 – 50 litres at 9 – 12 kg. I know you can get lighter and more compact, but the above numbers aopply to my own gear winter (full 4 season bag/mat/tent) through to summer c/w two full days food. The Mountain Marathon brigade manage to get down to ~7kg and 25l but, in the middle of winter in a howling gale, camped high on your own, you’ll want more than their bare minimum.

I use a couple of climbing/mountaineering sacs (one 50 and the 55 litre). They are 1.3kg and 1.6kg respectively. You’ll save up to 0.5kg by going with the Golite Jam or OMM Villain.

To get everything in the Jam/Villain, you’ll need your other kit to be top notch and light. If it isn’t you’ll need more like 65 to 75 litres.

I’d buy the Villain if I didn’t already have a cupboard full of sacs 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

15% discount at cotswold with ctc or local bike club membership usually. might give you a few options for the money.

nickname
    Free Member

GoLite or OMM get my vote. I’ve got the Villain. It’s good bit of kit. Tough, light, comfy and very configurable (you can remove all the extra fittings).

The only thing I didn’t like originally with the Villain was the thin waist belt (compared to what I’m used to). After using it quite a bit though, it’s fine – plus it can be replaced if needed).

Also check out the Crux AK47 – gets good reviews.

boblo
    Free Member

There’s ‘rumour’ OMM are producing a bigger Villain. More like 50L. This sounds like a perfect backpacking sac if it’s still around the 1kg mark.

Rich
    Free Member

I really like the Villain MSC but its at least £95.

Read about a couple of issues with recent Golites and the stitching coming undone on the strap after one light use.

I’ll probably just get the Arete for £45, nice and cheap and should do the job fine. Especially as its only just over 1kg, seems a bargain.

boblo
    Free Member

I’ve got an Arete 35 and it’s quite a nice sac. I’ve just weighed it; 1.1kg on the kitchen scales. You might find 45L a bit mean unless your gear is very compact and/or you don’t take much….

Bargain at £45 tho…

surfer
    Free Member

I’m looking at a lightweight bag for the OMM. I was thinking of the OMM or the larger Inov8 but the Arete is plenty light enough for me as I am only doing the C class.

Rich
    Free Member

Boblo, is your one of the older ones, because the new 45 ones (with Extrem wrote on them, how awful!) are supposed to have dropped from 1300grams to 1040grams, which sounds good.

boblo
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s a couple of years old so they may have dropped the weight. I think they use more helium in the manufacturing process now 😉

Surfer. Get teh OMM 25L sac, it’s brilliant for MM’s/AR.

I sound like a rucsac nerd now.

redthunder
    Free Member

Sorry for the plug…

Camelbak Motherlode (Coyote Brown). 30litres Awesome bag.

I have a brand new one for sale.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-camelbak-motherlode-coyote-brown-9900-inc-post

boblo
    Free Member

redthunder – Member
    Camelbak Motherlode (Coyote Brown). 30litres Awesome bag.

I have a brand new one for sale.

Fantastic! Impartial advice 😉

Rich
    Free Member

I bought the Villain after finding it on offer for £87.00.

I like it too much to scrimp over a few pounds, just waiting for it to be delivered now. :mrgreen:

NZCol

For something that works while fully loaded as in, has a proper harness and won’t kill your back – Macpac Amp Race 40 – plenty big enough.

drewster007
    Free Member

I work for one of the Large outdoor retailers and would without a question go for the Macpac pursuit 50 or the Gregory Z55, but it does depend on what you want out of it!

Macpac =Bombproof trusted design of about 15 years made of a combo of canvas and kevlar

Gregory= very light, air flow style back system, nicer to look at!

the other brand to look out for and my favored choice would be Arcteryx.

drewster007
    Free Member

I have a Cruz AK 47 back size 3 in Gunmetal i am selling, It is amazing just a bit to long in the back for climbing with! So i ma selling it, As new £70.00

harryflashman
    Free Member

I commute with an Inov8 RacePro 30, and use it for running at the weekend – I can’t reccomend it highly enough.

surfer
    Free Member

Surfer. Get teh OMM 25L sac, it’s brilliant for MM’s/AR.

Thanks Boblo.

Issue I have is that I am doing the event with someone less experienced hence the C class. As it wont be too fast I thought I would go for the larger bag, full length mat etc as weight will not me a major issue give or take a kg.
    The Berghaus Arete looks a good compromise.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a lightweight backpack 45-50l’ is closed to new replies.