Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Recommend me a goretex lined walking boot(oldskool)looks!
  • postierich
    Free Member

Seen a pair of brasher hillmasters which look just the job but a bit pricey,I have a budget of £100 and would prefer the brown leather type boots any suggestions besides ride your bike inst!

Ta rich

ton

scarpa sl attack

marsdenman
    Free Member

Can I be the first to say – go to the shop’s a try some on…. 🙂
    Recommendations are, of course, a great starting point but, case in point, when I last bought a pair (4 years ago) I’d read reviews, asked around etc and decided I wanted boot XYZ.
    Went to a big outdoors place in Keswick, forget the name, told the sales guy what i wanted, he took one look at me feet and said ‘well, you can try XYZ but, given your foot size + shape, + what you’ve said you plan to do, I feel you’ll be better off with boot ABC’
    He was o’course, right.
    Boot ABC was Meindl – goretex lines, ‘traditional looks’ etc – iirc though they were about £130….

marsdenman
    Free Member

scarpa sl

oddly enough that was boot ref: XYZ – top reviews in the magazines at the time, possibly why it seemed everyone we saw was wearing them….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Other waterproof membranes are available. 🙂

Anatom boots look rather tidy to me.

surfer
    Free Member

I got a pair of the Scarpa SL’s last year (one careful owner and half price!) They are great boots but a bit OTT unless you are doing a fair bit of winter walking and need crampons etc.
    I had the leather Brashers before them and they were incredibly comfortable and great for most folk

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Other waterproof membranes are available.

Jesus. 🙄

(seriously flash, you need to have a word with yourself lately)

You should be able to get the hillmasters for around £100 shouldn’t you? I got them and they’re luvverly. Check mastiles’ link to the Sports Direct ebay sale – I’m sure I saw some on there that were going for around your budget.

EDIT: mastiles’ link: here

midlifecrashes

I had Trezeta for many a year, they were solid, comfy and reliable. Their Snowdon boot looks decent for the money. I have Brasher Supalites at the minute and if you can find a bargain pair, go for it.

markwalker
    Free Member

i bought a pair of brashers 15 years ago were them every day to walk the dog, still as good as new, you only get what you pay for.

thomthumb
    Free Member

i’ve got some scarpa terras and they are great. also got some riekers which aren’t as waterproof as they are supposed to be (they were given to me second hand/ old unwork)

have you looked at altberg?

but +1000 to trying them on.

I spent an hour with a lovely lady who helped me decide which ones i wnated.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Does it have to be goretex?

Altberg boots have a waterproof membrane and come in 5 width fittings. Perhaps a touch over budget though

griffter18
    Free Member

All boots are different. A lightweight summer boot is no good in the Alps or Scotland in winter as they are neither warm or stiff enough (crampons). etc
    1. Decide what the need is for.

All feet are different shapes, and each manufacturer uses a different lasts (foot temoplate) to construct the boot.
    2. Get you feet measured and try on lots to find which fits the best and holds the correct position on your feet. You also need to consider socks as part of this and possible replacement foot beds.

Boot materials vary (see 1) from Plastic/Leather/synthetic
    They can all be waterproofed in some way but be aware that flexation & rub within the boot weakens membranes significantly.
    A goretex boot may be great now but once the membrane goes its in the bin.
    3. Think about 1 & 2 above and also your expectation on boot life. If you are going to ear everyday then gortex lined may only last 6months.

scruff
    Free Member

I’ve found waterprrof membrane boots only last 6 months or so till water seeps in, so I buy a set of discount ones start of Winter every year.

postierich
    Free Member

Cheers guys will look @ scarpa and the brasher ones and try on with my red socks!
    Scruff which cheap ones, did pop into millets today and they had some cheap waterproof boots £40

scruff
    Free Member

Rich, I normally just get some when there is a decent set in TK-to-the-Maxxx. Just bought some Wenger branded leather ones. The cheap Karrimore are a bit tat, no different to HiTech etc.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

find some extra cash and buy Alt-Berg.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

ebygomm – Member
    Does it have to be goretex?

Don’t say that, Darcy won’t like it. 😉

chaos

Just been looking for other stuff and noticed Brasher on heavy discount here albeit in limited sizes:

http://www.oswaldbailey.co.uk/eshop.asp?wci=search&wce=brasher&CameFrom=Menu

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Depends entirely what you’re going to be doing with them.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I got some Scarpa’s in Go outdoors reduced to £60. Worth a look in their sale.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

For the last three years I’ve had a pair of Clarks Goretex-lined boots that have been brilliant. They were about £90 iirc.

Look OK in a leather desert-bootish style, my default footwear for dog-walking over all sorts of terrain right through the winter and for generally stoating about, and have never leaked yet. Was thinking about getting them resoled rather than buying new boots as they’re starting to wear out on the sole slightly now.

toby1

I got a pair of Scarpa Terra’s last year round this time and have found them to be a great boot, I tried a few on in Cotswolds but they suited me best, brown leather, nowt fancy and I stood in puddles in them with no water seepage as yet. I am not a heavy user though. I live in Cambridge, there is little call for serious boots round here.

I did the 3 peaks in them though pretty much blister free! (small blisters arrived about a week later on both big toes, this was probably me just walking weird in wet socks though) wet owing to water running down my legs into the boots by the way, not the fault of the Goretex lining.

peterfile
    Free Member

I’ve got 3 sets of boots:

Scarpa Mantra for proper winter stuff
    Scarpa SL for winter hiking (but not much kick step and no ice climbing)
    Salomon lightweight synthetic goretex boots for summer.

All have put in considerable miles, but all I wear these days is the SL’s.

Yeah, they’re a bit hot and clumpy for summer use or long scrambles, and my calves feel like they are going to explode if I’m kicking steps in snow all the way up a hill……but to be honest, they’re just so comfy and predictable that I can’t help but put them in the sack for every trip.

Scarpa have just brought out an updated version of the SL, which means the classic M3 (which about 90% of hikers will have used at some point in their life) can be had for £99 pretty much everywhere.

They look good, easy to maintain, are as waterproof as any modern membrane if you look after them every now and then…..and they just work. Mile after mile of not even realising you are wearing them, from 20 mile summer ridge walks, to crampon summits of BEM.

BUT….go try a pair. Boots are like the hill walking version of disc brakes, you’ll get on with some and hate others. But in terms of all round capability, you’ll never be left underdressed with SLs.

🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a goretex lined walking boot(oldskool)looks!’ is closed to new replies.