Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Recommend me a day/weekend skills course?
  • votchy
    Free Member

Need to improve my riding so recommend me somewhere good to brush up my basic skills, cornering, descending, braking, reading the trail etc

StuF

I was pleased with the day with AQR – they sorted out my cornering

AndyP
    Free Member

Nigel Page. Not only an ace day's training, but quite possibly the nicest bloke on the planet.

Michael-B
    Free Member

I have done Ed’s (http://www.great-rock.co.uk) one to one day in Hebden Bridge and Stop Crashing at Lee Quarry and both where really good! Well worth every penny I ride my bike with much more confidence.

grumm
    Free Member

Dirt School is good ime – Andy Barlow is a nice fella and annoyingly good on a bike. 🙂

sofatester
    Free Member

Nigel Page. Not only an ace day's training, but quite possibly the nicest bloke on the planet.

I'd want "extras" as well for £200 per day! 😆

s8tannorm
    Free Member

http://www.forestfreeride.co.uk Hopefully someone will be along soon to back me up 😀

Stuart

backhander
    Free Member

Spoke to FF recently, would love to do some training with them but they're miles from anywhere!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

An AQR day made the single biggest difference to my riding in about 10 years, despite the fact I'd been riding with one of the guys for most of that time. Mostly a question of sorting out my bad habits, but my cornering came on a mahoosive amount as a result.

I've also done a Nigel Page day. That was a) an awful lot more expensive, b) an awful lot more esoteric. I came away from the day going "?????" quite a lot, but much of the stuff he taught me fell into place over the rest of the summer.

Overall the AQR stuff probably made me a 20% better rider, the NP day added maybe another 5% capability onto the top of that. (but it's that 5% that's got me through some damn scary stuff)

(please note, I am a bit biased as AQR are a bunch of my mates)

s8tannorm
    Free Member

We're not that far from everywhere 😉 Coed y Brenin is a 40 min drive, Nant yr Arian 45 mins and Machynlleth just over the hill (that is quite a big hill though) … and there's free accomodation in the bunkhouse so no need to find a b+b / pub.

However, it has to be said we're hardly city centre 😀

Stuart

Dobbo

Another one is UK Bike Skills run by Jedi off here, he's a good bloke and top rider.Thread here about them.

krag
    Free Member

Me and the missus did a day with Stuart at ForestFree ride recently and had a good day. Location is indeed in the middle of nowhere but it's a gorgeous setting in a valley and Stu, his wife, owls, dogs and sheep were all really friendly and laid back.

Not sure I got as much out of it as I thought I would but probably down to the GF and I being at different levels and what I was after (jumps) there's only so much technique you can learn before it comes down to MTFU'ing and getting on with it!

We didn't stay in the bunkhouse but did use it for tea breaks and lunch but looked nice n cosy and would take advantage of it if we went back.

soobalias
    Free Member

how far from mach, s8tannorm?

Bunnyhop

I can recommend Emmy at http://lilybankfarmcottage.co.uk.
    For the weekend there are really good B&B facilities.

I just had the day course, which is still benefitting me now a few months later. She got rid of some bad habits and my confidence has improved.

s8tannorm
    Free Member

SOOBalias … about 12 miles in the direction of Llanbrynmair at Pennant.

Stuart

brakeswithface

Are AQR still going? I sent them an email a few weeks back to try and get on a course with them and never got a response…

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Are AQR still going?

Very definitely

I'll have a shout at Jon & Paul for you…

Gilles

Mark, I thought following Steve M. was enough as training.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Brakeswithface – apparently enquiries@ and Kate@ have been having problems, but if you email jon@aquickrelease.com, you should get straight to the guy who does the skills course booking.

jim
    Free Member

I'd happily recommend both Stuart@Forest Freeride and Ed Oxley, both jolly nice and very knowledgeable chaps.

brooess
    Free Member

Cycleactive
    I can highly recommend Rich and Chris at Cycleactive. Very friendly, very focussed on YOU having a good time. A couple of days and my riding improved more than it had done for years. And after 2 crashes resulting in broken bones, gave me my confidence back…

jedi

dobbo, thanks for the plug 🙂

bumley
    Free Member

UK bike skills – Would deffo recommend, absolutely top coaching!!

As mentioned above ask Jedi

votchy
    Free Member

Gilles – who is Steve M???? I know a Steve S, a Steve P, a Steve H and a Steve G and a Steve M, the Steve M I know I haven't ridden with for years since he emigrated to Northants 😉

walleater

I know the AQR guys from back in the day and they know their stuff.

Jedi has also given me plenty of tips when I've been down at Herts Shore and I get the feeling he'd make a really good coach.

Trekster

Mark or Clive
    more
    jules
    Tracy and Emma
    Jedi…………………

jedi

thanks for the recommend bumley and walleater

phildowling
    Free Member

Hey votchy

If you fancy a skills course in South Wales give me a shout, Various locations from Trail centres to natural technical trails so i can find the riding to suit you and exactly what you want to achieve. 🙂

From what you've said it sounds like a morning at a trail centre and then a cracking natural trail in the afternoon to make the most of it.

My website is http://skills-guiding.co.uk/

Cheers Phil (discount on the rates for STW memebers)

If your staying ewp narth like i'd go for Ed@Great Rock

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a day/weekend skills course?’ is closed to new replies.