Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Recommend me a commuting gilet
  • td66
    Free Member

So my winter jacket is just a bit warm now and am wanting a gilet but it must be windproof, have at least one zipped pocket, not necessarily hi-viz but a bright colour. Oh and not too pricey obviously. What can people recommend?

honourablegeorge

I got a nice light windproof north face from Wiggle, can be had high viz or black – I ended up buying both.

mrjmt
    Free Member

There was a PSA about some at Aldi or Lidl on here a bit earlier.

Clobber
    Free Member

I like my endura laser, not sure if it has a pocket though…

foxyrider
    Free Member

How about this one – its only £168 😉

http://www.thebikefactory.co.uk/productdetails.asp?productid=34295

Mate has this one and comes in high viz if necc 🙂

Endura Laser Cycling Gilet
    ~£28

as above no pockets

TiRed

Pearl Izumi barrier convertible. Sleeves come off, but it is still too cold for that. Worn mine throughout the cold spell and in a couple of downpours. Side pockets.

allthepies
    Free Member

The aldi/lidl zips are made from cheese so avoid those IMO.

njee20
    Free Member

The older Assos gilets were great, pricing’s gone stupid now!

IMO a pocket on a gilet isn’t that great, you want something minimalistic which can be stuffed into a pocket (on the jersey underneath) if it’s too warm.

I use Endura ones (as they made our team kit) no idea if they sell them aftermarket in plain colours.

D0NK

been using a lusso one, I like it, no zipped pocket tho. £24 but have seen em cheaper than that, I got a blue/purple one, yellow felt a bit plastic-y

td66
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions, the Endura Laser is looking like a good choice for me, but has anyone got experience of the Decathalon gilet?

It seems to cover all the bases and have plenty of light reflective details, and lets face it anything that makes you more visible can only be a good thing.

MrGreedy

The Endura ones we got as club kit don’t have any pockets, but do have a zip on the RHS that lets you get at your normal jersey pockets inside without having to hoik the hem up. The windproofing material is very good indeed, not sure if the non-kit versions would be the same though.

MrTall
    Free Member

I had one of the older Decathlon ones and it was fine.

Made the mistake of ‘lending’ it to my mate who started commuting and never saw it again….. It is still going strong though i believe.

Think the one i have now is Endura and that is also pretty good.

ac282

I use one of these

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/clothing/gilets-and-vests/product/review-scott-windstopper-stealth-25497

Having flap to get at your jersey pockets is much better than having to re-arrange all your stuff if you get hot and take the gilet off.

Its not worth the rrp but I found mine for £20 in a bargin bin.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a commuting gilet’ is closed to new replies.