Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Recommend me a bike lock
  • SusieG
    Free Member

I’m looking for the lightest, most secure bike lock I can find! It doesn’t have to be ridiculously secure, just enough to prevent a bike getting stolen when left in a visible town centre location for an hour or two. Needs to be light enough that I can do a fair few miles with it in my bag.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

z1ppy

Something of the Kyptonite range (or something similar from another manufacturer), either mini U-lock or Evolution disc lock and a KryptoFlex cable to wrap round your wheels/frame/lamppost.

Not something I’d really want to let out of my sight for more than a few minutes but better than most of the rubbish available.

You’d be surprised how blatant some bike theifs can be, even in a supposedly safe/highly visible location, so really the better/bigger the lock can be, the safer your bike is. If you locking you bike up regularly in the same place, maybe buy a decent size U-lock and leave it there locked, ready for you to use.

tomaso
    Free Member

I’ve had my Abus Granite for 18 years of faultless service. It cost £70 in 1993 and has kept my bikes safe. Its not light but you don’t get lightweight security – however you can get smaller (narrower and shorter) locks. My one does frame back and front wheel and immovable object and as a plus bolts up my motorcycle too.

willyboy
    Free Member

Another vote for the granit here

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

+1 abus granite, I used to use a cable as well (through wheels) but decided the granite was a big enough deterrent and didn’t want to draw to much attention to my bike!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Abus granite or similar. You need to spend a decent amount and it will be heavy. Look at almax locks as well – often recommended but I have no personal experience.

For a d lock both ends of the shackle need to lock and the shackle really needs to be 16 mm at least. or get a cheap bike you don’t care about and use a cheap lock

uplink
    Free Member

They never managed to break the Kryptonite that was locking my bike up – they simply cut through the town centre bike stand

Middle of the market place, broad daylight

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Abus Granit is all you need to know.

Interesting/scary anecdote on the topic – The Granit is the lock most likely to be stolen from shops. The reason? Well, it appears that even tea leaves appreciate really good security!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a bike lock’ is closed to new replies.