Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Recommend me a 20mm AM wheelset
  • ken_shields
    Free Member

Apologies if this has been posted before

I want some new wheels for my 5 Spot (now 140mm front and rear).

I have some 2009 Revelations with Maxle lite (20mm thro' axle) so whats a good wheelset for all mountain/XC/trail riding use.

Cheers

Ken

hugh_b
    Free Member

i love my hope hoops, pro II hubs on dt 5.1 rims, seem pretty solid , have had abuse and held up well. Pretty good value for money too if you shop around.

Jammy111
    Free Member

mavic en521's on pro2's

grumm
    Free Member

Standard answer is Hope Pro IIs with either Stan's Flow rims for tubeless, or DT 5.1s (some say they dent easily), or Mavic 719/721s

This place does em cheap – not sure about the service/quality

http://www.lexs.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2elexs%2eco%2euk%2facatalog%2findex%2ehtml&WD=hoops%20hope&PN=Hope_Pro_2__Pair_%2ehtml%23a2198#a2198

UK-FLATLANDER

I run Mavic 819's on Chris King Hubs, went for the HD rear axle and Fun bolts which stiffen up the wheel face interface at the back end.

BenjaminJDC
    Free Member

Hope Pro 2's with Mavic 823 UST rims. Bomproof

kimbers

start with pro2s and figure how heavy you want your mavic rims to be

solaris76
    Free Member

DeeTraks have served me well.

grumm
    Free Member

FWIW I have a 719 and an 819 with Pro IIs on my Pitch.

They survived a week of my 16 stone clumsiness in the Alps doing the Mega, with just a couple of loose spokes that needed nipping up afterwards.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Didn't pro2s used to be cheapish? For the cost of a pro 2 build these days you are getting close to some blingy factory wheelsets. Whether or not one or the other is better is another question though.

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Shimano XT AM here on my 5spot , have been good for me.

heihei

Have experience of running the following…

CK + Mavic 819's – rims nice and strong, tubeless works first time, but too narrow to give a good profile to bigger tyres (2.2" +). Also rims are quite heavy for the width.
    CK + Stans Flows – rims a nice width, and seem pretty strong, give very good profile to tyres. Requires a rim strip to run tubeless, and are quite expensive. Built up nice and light with DT Super Comp spokes.
    Roval Traversees – very light but pretty strong. Require a rim strip to run tubeless. Low spoke count means not as stiff as some, but a cracking wheelset.
    Mavic Crossmax SX – great wheels. The '09 versions are very stiff, light, and strong. For me, the pick of the bunch, but expensive. The '08's can be had for quite a bit cheaper, and are also good wheels, but around 1/2lb heavier, and freehub design not as srong (so I've heard).

retro83
    Free Member

xm719 rims on Hope Pro 2 hubs built by Merlin

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a 20mm AM wheelset’ is closed to new replies.