Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Recommend Campsites in the Lake District please.
  • squin
    Free Member

Hi all,

Want to take friends for their first camping experience this coming weekend. Looking for a site that has clean decent facilities, and is around the 'honey traps' towns. Anyone got any positive experiences?

Thanks,

Stu.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

try http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk,

there are some good ones in/around hawkshead – but they might be full this time of year

lowey

Fisherground in Eskdale is lovely.

If your after a hook up pitch though, I think you will be very lucky leaving it late.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sloaner
    Free Member

The National Trust campsite at Langdale is pretty good, stunning location, two pubs nearby (including ODG if you like your real ales), good facilities and not too far from Ambleside (15 min drive).

Don't think they take bookings, so luck of drawer whether full this time of year

Gary_M
    Free Member

As lowey said Eskdale is great, although I prefer the camping and caravan club site at Boot – it's closer to the pub 😉 But although it is quite close to Ambleside (15 miles) Hardknott pass does get in the way.

Keswick camping and caravan club site is in the town centre, facilities are clean if a bit old, Windermere site at Stavely is also very nice and about 5 miles from the town, great riding on the doorstep though. To be honest I think you'll struggle to get into any of the good sites at this short notice.

Sykes Farm at Buttermere is nice too Sykes farm

We also stayed in a site at Patterdal that was nice and they didn't take bookings – tents were packed in though this one

squin
    Free Member

Thanks for replies. That Sykes Farm looks great for another trip! Fisherground is great coz you can have a campfire, but we're ideally looking for somewhere East of the Hardknott Pass. Quite like the look of the Langdale one, although the reviews on UKcampsites say that it smells and gets waterlogged 😉

sloaner
    Free Member

The sun has always been shining when I've been there so never had trouble with waterlogging, but now you say it I do remember having a conversation about the smells near the toilet block nearest the entrance on a drunken walk back from the Stickle Barn Tavern!

I always pitch the other end of thw site and not noticed them!

themolland
    Free Member

The one in borrowdale is nice, and has an EPIC descent into it from honister pass

crazy-legs

Slight hijack but maybe catch up at some point? I'm staying in Windermere this weekend. 🙂
    Keswick has a good campsite with decent facilities but I can't remember the name of it…

squin
    Free Member

Hi James. Something Hall, I think I know which one you mean. Still undecided whether to head for the Lakes and risk the 'first-come-first-served' problem on the Saturday morning, or go for one on the lake near Bala in Wales that we can book.

Would prefer the Lakes, but did a trip the same weekend 2 years ago and had to sleep in a lay-by on the A66 on the Friday night coz everywhere was full, and luckily found a spot on one in Borrowdale after breakfast on the Saturday (no facilities though apart from a toilet – not what firt timers might appreciate!).

If we do make the Lake, I'll give you a shout as I'd like to catch the Airshow so might catch you there (should be easy to find you amongst 50000 people).

Stu.

nickname
    Free Member

I always stay here: http://www.gillsidecaravanandcampingsite.co.uk/

I think it's the closest one for walks up Helvellyn and surrounding area.

It doesn't take bookings, but there's a ton of space.

The local shops/pubs are good, and it's about a 35min drive from Penrith, and is easily accessible via bus too.

lowey

Are your friends lads ? or family and friends ?

If lads, then Deffo Coniston old hall. Superb location on the lake, 5 mins ride from Coniston Village, but can get a bit rowdy. I wouldnt take my kids there, but I go every year with the lads!

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Coniston Old Hall – absolutely for a nice easy first camping trip. Just watch what you flush down the lav, cos I really can't be arsed going to fix the pumps this weekend 😉

There is one in Hawkshead that looks good, though not used it myself. Right by the road that loops around the village, so seconds from the pubs.

Limefit is also worth considering as it is a short stagger to The Mortal Man and The Queens Head up Troutbeck way.

Otherwise Fisherground or Langdale NT.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Recommend Campsites in the Lake District please.’ is closed to new replies.