Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 124 total)
  • Recommend be a watch. £1500-£2000
  • cheers_drive

The future Mrs CD wants to buy me an ‘engagement watch’, I don’t really know much about watches so what would STW recommend?
    Looking forward to seeing witty postings of £5 Casio watches.

nedrapier

My mrs-to-be wanted to do the same. I said no thanks. I can’t imagine wanting a watch costing that much.

Made me wonder what the ring’s all about, though. At least a watch tells the time.

beej

Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon.

Or just have a browse at the Jura Watches site.

nedrapier

Does the first one run on petrol?

Rubber_Buccaneer

No, it’s plastic.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Does she want it back when the divorce happens? Thats the only reason I can think of to spend so much on a watch

geetee1972
    Free Member

My wife bought me a watch when we got engaged as well. It seems to be a more common thing these days, more than likely driven by the fact that women also have successful careers and don’t want the buying of an engagement ring to be just the man’s way of establishing his financial credibility. I know it was really important to my wife that she was able to assert her independence, financially and otherwise, by reciprocating the engagement ring.

I recommend you decide for yourself based purely on aesthetics and let your future wife indulge you.

Stoner
    Free Member

Mrs S got me a watch for our wedding.
    Not nearly as expensive as her ring. I think Ive been scammed! 🙂

I wore it quite a lot for the first year, but I havent actually worn a watch for the last 6 years or so. It just sits in the drawer next to me now. In fact I was thinking only the other day, I can wait until Jr’s 16th birthday then I can give it to someone who might use it…

geetee1972
    Free Member

Does she want it back when the divorce happens? Thats the only reason I can think of to spend so much on a watch bike

FIFY

Rubber_Buccaneer

Does she want it back when the divorce happens?

Don’t be so negative, the watch is so he can see the rest of his wasted life tick tock away once they are married 🙂

Rubber_Buccaneer

I recommend you decide for yourself based purely on aesthetics and let your future wife indulge you.

Actually, I think this is the only sensible advice. Value is irrelevant as you never intend to sell, just choose something you like.

Edit: and tell her if there is something else you’d prefer. Maybe it’s what you want as a permanent memento but maybe there is something else.

redthunder
    Free Member

BigJohn

You’re falling into her trap.

“What time do you call this?”
    “You promised you’d be back from your ride in time for us to go to my parents”
    etc.

wallop

I got my other half a Tag Monaco when we got engaged. He’s great to buy for though, because he really cherishes it and looks after it, and still loves wearing it.

BTW – and I have looked into this 😉 😆 – I believe an engagement ring is classed as an “unconditional gift” in the law courts, and cannot be claimed back when you get divorced.

lunge

First thing I would do is have a wander into any high street jewellers and try a few on to see roughly what style you like/want and what suits your wrist. At this point ignore price completley. Once you have done this you have a better idea of whether you want a metal or leather strap, a plain face or a chronometer, a big or small face, etc. You can then spend a bit of web time getting a short list together before going out to find said shortlist and make a decision.

For me, watches are very emotive, they all (mostly) do the same thing so you are buying on what you like, what you would wear and what makes you smile when you pick it up. I have a Tag which was in that range which I know is not a purist’s watch but I adore it and it makes be smile whenever I see it.

wallop

Oh, and NEGOTIATE! I rang round all the local jewellers on the day I wanted to buy, and ended up getting the best deal at Mappin & Webb on Park Street (£300 off!).

geetee1972
    Free Member

Oh, and NEGOTIATE! I rang round all the local jewellers on the day I wanted to buy, and ended up getting the best deal at Mappin & Webb on Park Street (£300 off!) I managed to get my wife to increase the budget by a few hundred quid to get the watch I really wanted.

FIFY

I didn’t really 🙂

finbar
    Free Member

Sinn are in that price range:

http://www.sinn.de/en/

Or your classic choice would be an Omega Planet Ocean.

Something vintage? I love my Cyma WWW.

Jerome
    Free Member

Yep try a few on.
    It is has to be new then I would say something ike an omega railmaster.
    You may have to search in your budget for one of those.

Harris
    Free Member

Have a look here

Home

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Something timeless.

I got one of these

http://www.tagheuer.com/int-en/vintage-watches/monza-calibre-36

MM

wallop

That Monza is lovely

GTDave
    Free Member

A nice Christopher Ward limited C9 ‘jumping hour’ for something different:

Or a nice C90:

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

My wife bought me a watch for our wedding anniversay last year.

It didn’t cost anything like the figures you mention, but it’s a lovely thing. Handmade, built to order (waiting list 6 months I think), hand-wind, modelled on a classic design.

I’m not going to say what it is or post pictures because everyone will want one!

My advice would be to look for German rather than Swiss. You get the quality without the extra snob-$$ added.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Or your classic choice would be an Omega Planet Ocean

what’s classic about that – it’s a newish watch.

Was going to suggest an Omega Speedmaster but they have gone up a bit since I last looked.

But wouldn’t you rather have a new bike for that money – plus it has the advantages of keeping you fit and healthy.

Otherwise, if you must have a watch – I have always liked the “Sinn Flieger 356 Flieger Automatic Chronograph – Sapphire Crystal” on this page:

http://www.chronomaster.co.uk/sinn_current_stock_2.htm

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Thanks, I love it 🙂

What I would say if you go for leather/croc straps expect to replace them every few years.

The Monza croc strap is £200+ 😮

Jerome
    Free Member
    soobalias
    Free Member

i would like to point out, my early concerns about the F-91W were unfounded.

its survived the pond and the shower.

simon_g

Can someone have a word with my fiancée please as no such offer has been forthcoming yet 😀

Personally I think something at the dressier/simpler end, so you can wear it on your wedding day, and have it for smarter occasions rather than for everyday (ab)use. Huge chronos and dive watches look a bit ridiculous with a suit. And at that price, I don’t see the point of quartz really (which is all Omega do at that range these days).

Lots of other good ones to choose from – I’d be looking at TAG Heuer, Longines, Oris, Hamilton, Sinn, Stowa, etc.

cjmcevoy
    Free Member

MM, I got the very same Monza Calibre 36 as my engagement present.

Bloody lovely. And will last many lifetimes, I hope.

Supposedly something I’ll give to my lad at the appropriate time, but can’t see that i’ll happily part with it. It was g-shocks and swatches for me until my mid-thirties!

I remember hearing someone say that you don’t really own a watch, but simply look after it until the next wearer comes along.

This is the first and only watch I’ve owned that I feel reflects that sentiment.

Don’t discount vintage timepieces either. Sites like http://www.chronomaster.co.uk have some fabulous and unique old watches.

Let us know what you end up going for.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Good choice cjmcevoy

Mine is on the brown crock strap as I never wear a suit in my job and is slightly more casual.

Keep meaning to get mine serviced. Had it 8 years and still runs perfectly.

MM

finbar
    Free Member

what’s classic about that – it’s a newish watch.

Well, classic in that it’s got an in-house movement, unlike a badge-engineered Tag or Oris in this price range with a standard ETA (i.e. Swatch) movement. Just a suggestion.

Although like you say about the Speedy, they’re actually more expensive than i recalled. Seem to be about £2.2k.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Have a look on chronomaster you should find something you like.
    Tags have a reputation for being wayyyy overpriced but the Carerra is nice thing.
    I’d get a speedy.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

… and cannot be claimed back when you get divorced.

Something you want to tell us wallop? 😉

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think watches are a very dull thing to spend alot of money on.

I’d suggest you spend the money on a nice tattoo.

Go to one of the top artists and get a subtle, classy piece designed.

These last forever, and it will be with you when you reach the end of your life.

You can sit down and design it together, perhaps you could both get one done?

A proper investment without a shadow of a doubt. And theres always laser removal if it goes tits up!

wallop

Ha ha – no, but I definitely won’t be giving up my engagement ring!!

tomhoward

I wouldn’t get that C90, the battery is flat….

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The Monza croc strap is £200+

Using Saddle Soap seems to help keep a leather strap in decent condition.

I bought an Omega and then found out that a large percentage of Omega buyers get one because their father had one – true for me. And younger buyers buy Seamasters, older ones buy Speedmasters 🙁

When looking at watches I noticed that some people get seriously hooked on collecting them, and often mention a OWN when talking about the next watch they are upgrading to – One Watch Nirvana – their ultimate watch (fix) which they think will free them from this collecting obsession.

The Speedmaster was one watch often mentioned as an OWN, and was the cheapest of the OWNs – although I got the moonphase version.

Others were Luminor panerai, Rolex Submariners, etc.

It works for me, I see no other watch that I lust after, whereas colleagues with Brietlings (7k) and Tags seem to have other watches on their radar.

The advantage of the Sinns are that they use quality movements, some of their own movements are lubricant free, and the build quality is good – and the guys that runs it were originally with IWC – who are also worth a look but the prices are higher for similar watches.

http://www.chronomaster.co.uk/sinn.htm

Tags are, inherently, overpriced. That is what the company stands for – market the hell out of something to increase its value – they did this with Audiolab in the hifi world before giving up on them, and they did this with Hueur.

cheers_drive

Thanks for the recommendations.
    The Monza is lovely but double the top end of the budget.
    For those who mentioned a bike isn’t an option. It’s about having something I can wear most days for life, just like she can her ring.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Stowa watch and the rest on a custom made titanium frame engraved with your names?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 124 total)

The topic ‘Recommend be a watch. £1500-£2000’ is closed to new replies.