Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Reccomend me a new chain
  • thomsonru84

Been using KMC chains on my Inbred for a while and never had a problem snapping them, which I had done with previous chains, but now I have so time for a replacement. My only gripe with the KMC is that they seem to wear pretty quick and become very loose around each of the pins, but up until now no issues with snapping so didnt bother.

What’s the preferred MTB 9Spd chain out there these days in STW before I go off buying another?

grtdkad

Yumeya from the big S

About £30 but quality.
    Buy cheap, buy twice 😉

razor1548
    Free Member

This won’t help you and you will probably think me a c**t.

I am going to say it anyway.

Please use “Recommend a new chain to me” as your subject title next time! 🙂

audiophile
    Free Member

Always use Sram and can’t fault them.

enfht
    Free Member

Always use Sram and can’t fault them

I’ve had a PC991 snap on me, don’t think that any are immune

Northwind

Cheap KMCs here- X9-93 I think. They last better than expensive, lightweight chains, they’re more resistant to damage if they chainsuck, oh and you can replace them 3 times as often and still save money. OTOH there’s a weight penalty of, IIRC, around 30 grams over an X9 SL.

Flimsy expensive chains really make no sense IMO. Tried it, learned from it.

dickie
    Free Member

Sram PC971 – under £20.

Stevo210
    Free Member

I’m having to replace a KNC SL chain after only fitting it in January. I know we’ve had some good winter slop and not much sunny riding but surely that’s not a huge time is it?
    The KMC SL is about £35 so it ain’t cheap. Be interested to see which chain has some longevity with it.

shindiggy
    Free Member

Sram PC991

scottalej
    Free Member

Yeah, PC991. I’m 200+ lbs kitted up and ride in all weathers. Replace them when worn and never had one break. £22 from CR.

neninja
    Free Member

I’ve been using KMC X9L chains with no bother – seem to last pretty well.

thomsonru84

Stevo210 sounds like the problems i’ve had with KMC requiring replacing in less than a yr without what i’d class harsh condtions.

Looking at the PC971/991 both say they’re improved to run smoother with Truvativ chainrings, anyone know if this means they dont run so well on Middleburn rings or will that not be an issue?

float
    Free Member

ive never snapped a chain, so i use the cheapest sram chain i can find.

toys19
    Free Member

I’ve been using kmc this one x9-93 I got a deal form crc 3 for 39.99 which they dont do any more shame. All three on three bikes still going strong. Since jan 2010.

Stevo210
    Free Member

Stevo210 sounds like the problems i’ve had with KMC requiring replacing in less than a yr without what i’d class harsh condtions.

I checked with the chain measuring thingy and realised it was at 1.0mm which suprised me somewhat with the timescale.
    So I bought another chain hoping that my cassette (Srampg990) wasn’t too late to be saved. This was also fitted new in January. I tried fitting the new SL chain last night and low and behold it was skipping its little teeth off. Old chain is now back on.
    If I had checked it earlier when the wear was enough to merit replacing it would have only been 4-5 months old.
    My cars cheaper to run….rant over!!

nxb1
    Free Member

I use connex 908 which is great, but eats jockey wheels.

nxb1

joolsburger
    Free Member

I use whatever is cheap and plated at the time

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/sram-9-speed-chain-pc-971/aid:159126

I’ve run Sram Shimano Wippermann KMC and they are all much of a muchness to me, cheap ones seem a bit stronger – Maybe.

seosamh77
    Free Member

SRAM chains are made out of cheese imo!

sv

XTR CN-7701.

Northwind

Stevo210 – Member

The KMC SL is about £35 so it ain’t cheap. Be interested to see which chain has some longevity with it.

It’s a very lightweight chain, not a great surprise they don’t last. You’re not paying for longevity there

devs
    Free Member

I’ve snapped them all. Got 2 fancy gold kmc chains last dec. The first snapped on the puffer. The second has lasted a few months. SRAM 951 and 991 last about 6 months. XTs last between 3 and 6 months. If I ride in deep snow I get weeks rather than months out of a chain so I bought a few of the kmcs that Parker had on special a few months back. Hopefully they will last the winter. There was quite a big reduction on them so they must be good eh?

ricardo666
    Free Member

had a middle of range shimano snap on the clywdian hills

replaced with sram pc991 felt solid no probs so far

bedmaker

Always cheapest SRAM for me. Never had any issues and I am both fat and strong. Not a gear cruncher though which I think makes a big difference.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Reccomend me a new chain’ is closed to new replies.