Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Rec Me A Bearing Puller
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

Right!
    I have learned my lesson the hard way with bodged DIY so took my Hope wheels to the LBS to have the bearings swapped yesterday

Guess what?
    Ive just had a phone call to say they cant get the parts for 6 weeks!

WTF

So Ive just ordered some official Hope ones and am pondering buying my own bearing puller but Im not sure which

Any ideas please?

Cheers

wwaswas

you don’t really need a puller to get the bearigns out (a socket set extension bar is useful) but I would recommend the proper drifts to press them back in again.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Ahhhh
    Id forgotten about getting them back in too
    Ive got previous there as well 🙁

What bits then do I need within a sensible budget?
    All Ive found so far is ££££ stuff

Although shared between my riding mates makes some kind of sense
    Maybe I should make some calls to them

Any more ideas on a puller and the drifts then please?

Cheers

Marko

Bearings out with a drift and in with the classic length of threaded bar and socket combination.
    For next time take the old bearings and use your £9.99 Screwfix angle grinder to grind down the outer cage of the old bearings, so that they fit sweetly into the hub. These are now your custom bearing fitting tools.
    Hth
    Marko

zilog6128
    wwaswas

I got that kit and it’s fine – so much better than faffing about with sockets – make sit a (literally) 10 minute job. the wheel support thing that’s not included is nice but not essential.

peter77
    Free Member

Agree with wwaswas. Use Hope tools to put the bearings back in.

A simple drift (metal rod) used with care will get the bearings out. I use a drift to get one side out and then use a home made puller to pull the other side out. All you need is some threaded bar, 5mm is sufficient, washers and nuts. Probably cost you £15 at worst.

Little trick I use to help with the drifting – boil kettle, make tea, pour remaining water over the hub near to the bearing. It has always made the drifting super easy for me, sometimes a couple of light taps on the end of the drift with a hammer and the bearing is out.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Use Hope tools to put the bearings back in.

I just use a hammer and the old bearing, socket and ductape to make a correctly sized drift.

On a similar note I’ve heard Pitch frames are a b**ch to change the bearings in, anyone DIY’d it? I’ve done DW/maestro style frames before but apparently Pitch’s have (not quite) blind bearings?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Rec Me A Bearing Puller’ is closed to new replies.