Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • rear mech has no spring tension?
  • retro83
    Free Member

Seem to have lost all the spring tension in my rear mech at the bottom two gears. The cable goes slack, but i can move the mech by hand and it goes into the gears no problem.

Can anything be done to adjust the tension or is the mech going in the bin?

It’s a SRAM X9 (probably about 1000 miles on it)

Three_Fish
    Free Member

It might be broken.

retro83
    Free Member

cheers 😆

coatesy
    Free Member

Common problem, just had one replaced under warranty on a month old bike,lost count of the number we’ve sent back.Try taking it back to wherever you bought it from if it’s fairly new.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Mine barely goes into top – spring has gone weak. Apparently you can’t get replacement springs 🙁

retro83
    Free Member

Is there any kind of bodge to fix it?

brakes
    Free Member

this is what generally spells the end for mechs in my experience, the spring goes and the mech goes all floppy, I’ve only ever bought a replacement because I’ve felt the mech is probably past its best

GrunkaLunka
    Free Member

Hmm, my X9 has started to do a slightly similar thing in the bottom gear, but some repeated wiggling of the mech seemed to loosen it up and sort it.

I rode in the same mud as Retro, do you think it’s something that is contagious?

soobalias
    Free Member

ive got an x9 mech doing the same, just over 1yr old.

5lab

mines gone as well 🙁

what do you recon the chances of Halfords doing a warranty swap on it, when its now attached to another bike (not from halfords) are?

retro83
    Free Member

5lab – Member
    what do you recon the chances of Halfords doing a warranty swap on it, when its now attached to another bike (not from halfords) are?

Slim to nil.

I’m thinking of replacing mine with X5. Weight difference is only 63 grams, so it works out at about a £ more expensive per gram saved compared to X5!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Never seen a Shitmano mech do this, Sram is certainly innovating!

rootes1

wind the b adjust screw in lots – it alters the angle of dangle and i found this help when shift into little sprockets

low tension does seem to be a feature of x9

brakes
    Free Member

Never seen a Shitmano mech do this

2 weeks in Whistler destroyed my trusty 4-yr old XT rear mech AND the LX one I replaced it with – and that was just from the mech clattering around, not smacking it into anything

SamB
    Free Member

Don’t throw that mech out – you can adjust the spring tension in SRAM rear mechs.

Follow the instructions on p44-45 of this SRAM technical manual: http://www.sram.com/_media/pdf/sram/dealers/MY10-SRAM-Tech-Manual-Rev-A.pdf

pypdjl
    Free Member

Is it not only X0 mechs that you can adjust the spring tension on?

mokl
    Free Member

I always leave my X9 mech set at the smallest sprocket when I leave put the bike away, and I’ve not had any problems with the spring tension. Someone once told me that this was a good idea re. the spring tension thing.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Same thing happened on my daughters boyfriends 2011 Marin Mt Vision, second ride and the X9 rear mech spring failed, not pleased 🙁 soon fixed under warranty though 🙂

granny_ring

Think I’ll stick with the big S then!

As mokl, I was told ages ago to put gears in granny and top when putting bike away to lessen the spring tension in the rear mech.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘rear mech has no spring tension?’ is closed to new replies.