Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Rear Maxel Thread Alternatives
  • binno
    Free Member

Is there anything out there that is cheaper than a rear maxel with the same threaded end. Just tried a shimano e-thru on my kona 142x12mm dropouts and the thread is the wrong pitch.

Before shelling out a huge amount of money on the rockshox, option, i’m hoping there’s a cheaper option out there?

JohnnyPanic

There’s the DT Swiss RWS.

Don’t know if it’s the same thread but as I have a 135x12mm Maxle and a 142x12mm DT Swiss I can check tomorrow if the Dt Swiss fits in the Maxle dropout. I’ll post back tomorrow.

tony07
    Free Member

Betd do an intense axle that is the same thread pitch as maxles in 135mm version. Worth giving them a shout to check if there’s a 142 version

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

As far as I can tell there are 3 142×12 ‘standards’ for axles.

The Syntace X12 system which is what the DT RWS axle is.
    Shimano ‘E-thru’
    SRAM Maxle

X12 has a finer thread pitch and a tapered cone on the QR end that locates the axle in the dropout.
    Shimano’s system is the same thread pitch as X12 but has a flat collar on the QR side and may or may not use a securing nut at the threaded end.
    The Maxle thread is much coarser than the other 2, has a flat collar around the QR and no securing nut on the other end.

They all seem to perform pretty similarly but are all mutually incompatible (gotta love industry standards huh!). From my looking around at alternatives to the supplied axle for my Banshee Spitfire (Maxle standard) it seems the X12 system is currently the most popular with manufacturers. Unfortunately that means that the Maxle is the only real alternative axle that fits that particular standard I couldn’t find any reliably available others. YMMV.

binno
    Free Member

This is what i’ve discovered so far. Wish i’d have known this before shelling out for the kona dropouts.

Sui
    Free Member

If it’s any consolation 👿 i stuck a maxel on the back of my spitfire. The stock supplied one with retaining nut is good as it’s secure, but an arse to take off at a moments notice should you need to. That said, i have found the maxel coming loose often

woody74

Yup I had to pump out £60 for a replacement Maxle on my Trek EX9. God knows why they are so expensive and why no one makes cheaper alternatives. Come on Superstar!!

kimbers

my maxle lever snapped off (also 142 ona kona) as i was trying to change a tyre in freezing cold conditions in the alps

got a reverse components one from a shop in ADH for much less than maxle prices and works just as well
    http://www.reverse-components.com/shop/en/Quick-release/-Attaches-Rapides

these guys are cheapest ive seen

http://www.brightlinecomponents.com/rear-axles—accessories..html

edit just seen brightline dont do a sram pitch thread, but if you contact the guy on facebook he may be able to sort you out
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brightline-Components/1421072684770936?fref=ts

Sundayjumper

binno
    Free Member

Yep, it’s A about T.

Shimano ones are £22, fair enough and from i see, it’s pretty much the same thing, likely better made yet without the thread pitch i need for the kona.

Surely there’s a market for a cheap single maxel. Even one that comes in the longest length with extended threads and cut to fit marks?

JohnnyPanic

I can confirm that my RWS axle comes nowhere near fitting in my Maxle dropout. Finer & shorter thread on the RWS.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Rear Maxel Thread Alternatives’ is closed to new replies.