Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 199 total)
  • Ramsbottom Turbine Ride #2
  • sambob
    Free Member

My dad would be driving, obviously. Jules was looking for you most of the time so didnt really see Will for very long. May well have been too long mind…. 😉

nbt

Have you jumped off the wagon again then Paps? All this talk of microbreweries is making me thirsty!

and while it might be doable in three hours, it’s a forum ride, if we finish in five I’d be amazed.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Room for a fat lad?

I should be able to make this.. 🙂

big_n_daft
    Free Member

If time is tight then from the turbines I would take the cheeky trail to Owd Betts, a short road section to the Rossendale School descent, If you are OK for time you can loop around the quarry to take in the rocky DH to the lights on the top road. Go left then take the plunge right, cross the motorway bridge and then it’s cheeky woods or the steps of doom.

GRAEMEJONES

Teetosugars.I can give you a lift if you want.

philfive
    Free Member

i may rearrange a few things to do this

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

No nbt, I am most def still on the waggon, but just trying to spread the real ale love with something a bit different for afterwards. I’d be happy with a brew.

Harry_the_Spider

Because (my) time is tight I think that we should all stick together, at least until we get to the turbines. When we spilt up on the descent into Irwell Vale last time one group arrived at the meeting point about 15 minutes before the other.

Once we get to the top of The Coal Road those that want to do Cragg Quarry can go one way and the rest can carry on over the top and down Rooley Moor Road

Harry_the_Spider

Arse Holes! I may have had a baby sitter failure!

binners

I just popped back on the thread, having just popped into rammy’s new micro brewery! I was going to suggest that as a start/finish point. Looks like papa laz beat me to it! I believe a few people are quite partial to a pint of scruttles old nob rot!

It looks great! I shall be investigating more thoroughly this evening so shall report back. Big car park right next to it too, so it looks like it’s ticking all the boxes! Anyway: the Rose and crown now has a sign up saying that all CAMRA members will now be charged more for beer on account of being a bunch of miserable moaning bastards! I kid you not! I’ll try and get a photo up 🙂

binners

Harry you’ve got to come! You are our spiritual leader! Like the Dali lama in Lycra!

And if we’re feeling cheeky we could take the…ahem… Singletrack descent from the turbines finishing with the steps of doom!

GRAEMEJONES

Binners! if you go back tonight, please can you see if they do bottled beers to take home. No point in having a van if you don’t put it to good use 😛 .I was thinking of getting a few bottles for Saturday night recovery purposes 😉

Pandacherry
    Free Member

johnnywc
    Free Member

Hi I’ve just moved to Ramsbottom from sheffield and would like to join you all on the 10th, if that’s OK. Picking my bike up next weekend, and then hoping to get to know some local routes. It looks like there should be plenty to ride.

derek_starship
    Free Member

All welcome!

Harry_the_Spider

Harry you’ve got to come! You are our spiritual leader!

You’ll do fine without me.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Harry – is that Alan Rickman?

nbt

I hear that locals have been doing research into the quality of the beverages on offer from the local hostelries. Any updates would be appreciated…

edhornby

I am preparing my pass out, if I can I will be there with bells on

If I am sucessful (and the nice mr goldtec sends my bb back with the new bearings in) I may be able to give one other a lift, anyone prestwich or thereabouts

davem808
    Free Member

Hi Iam a fat dad from bury fairly new to mountain biking would it be ok to tag along

jamess
    Free Member

This sounds like a great (big) trip! Any room for another local to tag along?

edhornby

pass out has been arranged 🙂 do we have a start / finish time? I would prefer an early go but happy to go with the majority vote

nbt

I think it was around 10.30 start time. Standard STW forum rules apply, all comers welcome

sambob
    Free Member

Can’t make this now, have fun all.

robgarrioch

I’m in Rammy that weekend, with an off-road velocipede too… Might show up to worry the tail end for the first couple of hours (presuming I can wheedle a child-minding pass for the morning, & it aint pishin’ doon). Does the route go round Holcombe then up the back to Pilgrims Cross? Been meaning to try that for a while.
    Planning to ride up to Cragg through Edenfield + try the Lee Q link back and forth on Friday too if anyone’s of a mind.

Harry_the_Spider

I definitely can’t make it as the baby sitter has booked an all inclusive to Ibiza (bitch). Last I hear Derek_Starship and Binners were plotting and scheming.

derek_starship
    Free Member

It looks like me and binners have inherited this one. Last time we met at 9:30 for a 10:00 start. Binners is the man with the local knowledge so the route will be down to him. We need a better RP as the car park at the Rose & Crown was full of pissed up punter’s cars from the night before! And the street parking is tight and handbrake testing. Binners mentioned using the carpark of a local microbrewery where we could take refreshments after the ride.

Just to confirm that this ride will take place next Saturday, the 10th of September. All welcome but I must add there are some pretty hard climbs and cheeky descents so some fitness and decent bikes* required.

*i.e. not catalogue / petrol station / Reebok bikes with names like Pulsar K-1000

Harry_the_Spider

…or a Quazer T-500 Exterminator with Atomic Zoom™ “Dual Suspension”.

derek_starship
    Free Member

NO

binners

Myself and The Starship have indeed be plotting and scheming.

The start point I think we should use as the micro-brewery.

beery lovliness

Plenty of parking to be had nearby. On your behalf I spent last Sunday afternoon sampling its wares. Very nice too. I just hope you all appreciate it. The landlord said he’s more than happy to have a gaggle of muddy mountain bikers in.

Route-wise I thought the rake > tower > up over Holcombe > Pilgrims cross > descent through the woods to Irwell Vale up the bridleway from Edenfield to the coal road > turbines then the height-of-cheek ahem…. ‘singletrack’ (sssssssshhhhhhhh) from the top down to finish on the rocky descent that spits you out at the Rammy traffic lights, then finish on the ‘Steps of Doom’. RIding them is optional. I’ll be at the bottom with the camera to capture the ensuing chaos. It can’t possibly beat Plumbers somewhat catastrophic front wheel failure last time 😯

nbt
    lipseal
    Free Member

No uplifts then. 😥

binners

my weapon of choice

GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

derek_starship
    Free Member

I will not be attempting any features that have “doom” in the title.

I’m doing a Trafford Centre to Blackppol Tower night ride in two weeks and need to be injury free as it’s for charideeeee (British Heart Foundation).

plumber
    Free Member

I am aiming to be there with my big **** off front wheel to do the steps of doom.

Plum

Junkyard
    Free Member

binners is leading it… I will get my walking boots ready 😉

binners

Like a World War One General, I shall be ‘leading’ in the metaphorical sense of the word. Definitely from the rear. Possibly even from the pub

*runs off to print off some maps of the route, buy binoculars and some 2-way radio’s*

hora
    Free Member

I may be in depending on if its raining or not. (Well I might as well be honest) 😉

lipseal
    Free Member

hora don’t let the rain put you off …ANTI RAIN DEVICE.. 😉

hora
    Free Member

Reason why I hate rain is prescription glasses+mud = crap visibility. I love riding in snow and sub-zero though 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 199 total)

The topic ‘Ramsbottom Turbine Ride #2’ is closed to new replies.