Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Ragging in the woods – progression or regression?
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

Family commitments have meant that long weekend days out are few and far between, so ragging around the woods for an hour or two is my main riding now. I used to do this 30 years ago, practising jumps and just “mucking around”, and I’m actually having as much fun – if not more – than XC riding.

Anyone else finding this?

jedi

i’m the same 🙂

elaineanne
    Free Member

or is it “aggression”…let off some steam !!!! (lol) 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    swisstony
    Free Member

can’t beat a good rag in the woods, lets you work on specific stuff

rutted flat corners for me at the mo after watching this

http://dirt.mpora.com/news/afternoon-bernard-kerr-christian-fairclough.html

ahwiles
    Free Member

mucking around in the woods on jumps an corners an stuff is what mountain bikes are for, surely?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My local woods are Swinley (+ Crowthorne etc) so an XC ride is easily possible without leaving the woods :p

Even back in Derby there was sufficient singletrack in Robins Wood to ride for a couple of hours without repeating the same section (in the same direction) twice.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

mucking around in the woods on jumps an corners an stuff is what mountain bikes are for, surely?

My new(ish) own-build hardtail certainly seems very happy doing just this – and me too 🙂

ampthill

Same for me last 2 weekends. As its what my son wants to do. Not that I’m not enjoying it.

Diane
    Free Member

I love it all as long as i’m on my bike. Shame there’s so much snow at present 🙁

_tom_
    Free Member

Messing around on jumps, skidding through leaves and stuff is way more fun than a long (or even short) xc ride 🙂

grievoustim
    Free Member

at what point does a ride become a “rag”?

you can still do a XC ride for an hour or 2

ampthill

I think rag envolves more seat down, more walking and more repetition of the same feature

but all of the above are optional and could be on an XC ride

now I’m really confused

stilltortoise
    Free Member

at what point does a ride become a “rag”?

(For me) a “ride” is all a journey from A to B (and usually back to A) where ragging is practising skills I s’pose. Sure, I “ride” to the woods to do some “ragging”, but in that case the ride isn’t the raison d’etre for getting the bike out.

I think the other point is that I have a lot more fun ragging for an hour or two than riding for an hour or two, simply because my local trails aren’t extensive or fun enough. A 2 hour ride (without repeating sections) from my doorstep would mean a lot of fairly dull trails and road work.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Ragging in the woods – progression or regression?’ is closed to new replies.